What's new

DE safety razor for women

Gday people,

Thinking about getting a DE safety razor for my partner. She is currently using disposables that cost about 12 dollars for 3, and gets only 1 shave per razor (they rust by the time she is ready for another shave). We are trying to save money as we are saving for a house. DE shaving is obviously going to cost a considerable amount less, especially when we are paying approx $4 per shave. The razor would be for her legs, armpits etc.

I was just wondering what you people would suggest? I have never used a safety razor, and have only ever used a straight razor or disposable, so I have no knowledge or ideas. Would need a razor that gives a nice shave, but also not extremely aggressive that she would cut the hell out of herself.

A budget friendly option would be fantastic because I don’t want to spend a HUGE amount for the razor, but it must be of decent quality too. Blades would be an experiment. There are plenty of sample packs online for cheap, so could find a brand to suit.

Anyway thanks!

lasta

Blade Biter
A lot of reading, but there was a recent post here about a woman's journey:

I think the Baili BR171 came out fairly well and very cheap.

Key point is to look for something smooth and mild while covering the blade tabs (sides of de blades).

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The Gillette Lady Star razor is basically a Superspeed on a long handle and would be ideal. I have used one myself many times and as well as being beautiful to look at it is an excellent mild shaver. Not expensive unless you pick a rare colour and want a mint cased version.

1675157943484.png

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
A Rockwell 6c is a nice option. Plate 1 is so mild it'll keep anxiety to a minimum around delicate areas when starting out. Fairly long handle and good knurling.

The Merkur 23C (a.k.a.,180) is often recommended by many as a 'Woman's razor'. It has a 100mm handle with light knurling.

I have one because it's also known to be a mildly aggressive and I prefer mild razors.

Price isn't too bad. It can often be found for less than $30. Along with a good blade like Astra SP, it's a good combo.

b/r

ON_1

My wife has had, in this order, a Gillette Super Adjustable (Black Beauty), a Gillette Lady, and a Rockwell 6S, which she used with the number 3 setting, if memory serves me correctly. She absolutely loves the 6S and it is likely the only razor she will use at this point.

I would put in my vote for the Henson for a modern fool-proof mild razor. My wife won't be switching from the Mach 3 anytime soon, but she did finally realize that most modern razors built "for women" are just dull versions of men's razors and switched to the M3.

Gillette New for $20 is ideal not only for shaving a man's face, but also under the armpits, as well as cutting off calluses like a pedicure razor. I think shaving their legs is just as easy and simple.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I gave my wife a 42C and basically she liked it, but wasn't too happy with the blade tabs protruding from the sides of the head.

The Gillette Lady Star razor is basically a Superspeed on a long handle and would be ideal. I have used one myself many times and as well as being beautiful to look at it is an excellent mild shaver. Not expensive unless you pick a rare colour and want a mint cased version.

View attachment 1597608

Got my wife this exact one and she loves it.

Also got this on sale from WCS. Is mild and she likes the girly colors -

If it's purely money-saving, you can get a vintage Tech for almost nothing. If you want a new cheapie, go for something in the Tech's super thin head style, which is more maneuverable and easier to get the angle right with than the thick twist-to-open style that is most common among the razors cheaper than $15.

My daughter's setup:
1963 blue Lady Gillette Starburst
Astra SS blades
AP shave handle with synbad knot
CaYuen Workshop Diablo lathering bowl.

She prefers Shannon's Soaps products since she was already using her bath soap and lotions.

There are lots of options, but I think a longer handle is best for the legs.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Based on what @Rosseforp posted about his daughter "stealing" his PAA Filament, my wife started using it.. and now, she owns it... she loves the way it shaves. The Filament is currently out of stock but I was told, they are going to restocking them soon.

She loves three of my synth brushes and some of my soaps. I'm glad she's joined me in the traditional wet shaving cadre.

Morning all. My wife is using my Qshave on setting 3 which she says works good for her. I said she should try my AS-D2 to see how that works. If she finds that nicer to use and easier to load a blade I'll show her the Mamaba70 or get her the AS-D2.

Top Bottom