What's new

DE Safety Razor for a Beginner

View attachment 1055408
first a good black beauty is a great shaver!
however! First oil it, open and close the doors and check they do that properly! Check the head alignment. If it is like my slim crooked then do not shave with it, keep it as a reminder or go to a revamp service to repair and revive your dads.
if it works properly clean it as good as you can and use it. It will bite anyhow ;-).

want another variant razor. Parker makes a nice copy of a merkur. Qshave/Weishi does the same for hé merkur futur.

If you have 10 minutes, a butter knife and tape, I can tell you how to straighten that SB on the right side. Bought 2 beautiful challenged Slims that looked just like yours, guess they loved to drop Slims back in the day. I posted way back about how to do it. Very easy but you have to both take it easy and take your time.

If you have 10 minutes, a butter knife and tape, I can tell you how to straighten that SB on the right side. Bought 2 beautiful challenged Slims that looked just like yours, guess they loved to drop Slims back in the day. I posted way back about how to do it. Very easy but you have to both take it easy and take your time.
Thall I would appreciate it. It is now a birthday code wallhanger 😭
And a butter knife is in my den as a soap knife 🤪

I would also suggest cleaning the razor first along with making sure the adjustment works and it tightens down all the way. Usually when they are tight you can turn the knob another 1/4 of turn on those Super Adjustables. If that is all good then use the razor for now. The 3 setting is where Gillette used to recommend people start at with the adjustables and I would recommend that also then dial it in as you get used to the razor.

If it doesn't work or is too dirty/rusty for your liking after cleaning up you I would also suggest taking a look at the Gillette 7 O'clock Sterling which is a modern version of the old Gillette knack razors or Gillette 7 O'clock Platinum which is a plastic flip top DE. They are produced by Gillette of India and should be easy to find on the cheap locally priced instead of having to pay the international market price that is based upon USD pricing. They are still cheap in that I can get an import one for $5 to $8 USD but you should be able to get one much cheaper locally priced.

If there isn't any major shipping restrictions or costs you could also take a look at Yaqi razors sold on aliexpress from China, the Saiver2.0 which is made in Russia and the Yuma which is a Turkish made razor.

Thank you to each and every one of you for clearing my queries and for the tips, recommendations the advice. I genuinely appreciate it. I had no idea the DE world is so vast and wasn't expecting such response. I'm glad to have joined the community.

I've decided to clean up the Black Beauty. And yes, it would be an honour to use the razor my dad used. For starters I'd like to take it slow, getting my basics right. There sure is a lot to learn. I will certainly start with the technique.

I'll keep you updated when, hopefully, I clean up the Super. Thanks once again. Y'all are amazing.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

Congratulations on jumping in with the Black Beauty. It is a fine choice. I think an adjustable like it is a great place to start--it will tell you what you like--if you report the number back here, people can tell you other non-adjustables that would be similar. If you want a little more aggression after a while, A Ming Shi 2000s is a very inexpensive adjustable that you can really "dial up" if your squeeze the head to go past the stop to adjust it past its normal max. If you have a coarse beard like I do, you may like more aggression.

Some have recommended you dial the razor to lower settings with successive passes. That works for most people, but you might try going the other direction as a test. I like to increase the setting on successive passes. I am most sensitive on the first pass for some reason (I think it is the first diagonal pass through the hair is the longest and most likely to tug)

That Super Adjustable just needs a proper cleaning and you are good to go. My advice would be againt the Pearl SBF-11, because sometimes that model can be deformed and have eneven exposure or gap, so you have to straighten their guards using force. They give fantastic shaves, but only after I did that.
Also that rust on the Gillette Adjustable is not the metal rusting. It is from a rusty blade or another metal object that was in contact with the Gillette. Adjustables don't rust, since they are not made of metals that rust.

Will the bombay shaving company razor be good for a beginner? I'm also from India and want to buy my first DE safety razor. The options I'm looking at are:
1. Bombay Shaving company razor
2. Merkur Futur replica (Qshave)
3. Pearl razors
4. Romer-7
5. Pink Woolf Razors

Will the bombay shaving company razor be good for a beginner? I'm also from India and want to buy my first DE safety razor. The options I'm looking at are:
3. Pearl razors
4. Romer-7
5. Pink Woolf Razors

You could consider the Parker Variant and it is made in India. Great razor. You may save money on shipping also.

You could consider the Parker Variant and it is made in India. Great razor. You may save money on shipping also.

Yes, but the parker razors are a little expensive for me. They are around 30$ price range. The BSC is the most expensive one on my list and it will be 13-14 USD on sale.

3. Pearl razors
4. Romer-7
5. Pink Woolf Razors

Some of these razors are sold in the Indian market and are not very common in the US, except for Pearl and Qshave. I do have a Pearl and though I can get a very good shave with it, I would not suggest it for someone just starting.

One of the members here did a review of the BSC razor and thought it was a good choice for a beginning DE shaver.

Another razor you might consider would be the Chinese Baili 3-piece that is a good quality clone of the Gillette Tech design. Model numbers 176 or 191.

bd 176.jpg

U

uspiff

3. Pearl razors
4. Romer-7
5. Pink Woolf Razors
As mentioned in my earlier post, I would recommend the Romer-7 TTO for a beginner.
It's mild and hence forgiving, good for a beginner.

I'd clean it as people have said it's your dads reckon there's quite a lot ppl here that shave with there dad's de razor and loads that wish they could I've got my grandad Fatboy and 58 TV series which means so much to me as he's passed and memories always flow when using them ... As people have mentioned tooth brush and washing up liquid and give it a good scrub and let it soak in warm water. As mentioned brass doesn't rust so that will come of may show a bit of brassing but no big deal.. I use tooth picks in any hard spots don't use anything abrasive on it.. I do polish with Fritz if I purchase a second hand razor but just once then that's it also I do use a small syringe and lubricate the moving parts with baby oil (mineral oil) in the hole under the doors and on the twist to open handle .

Stick around and enjoy the family but most of all enjoy your shaves

Marc

I think it is good to keep away from kettle material.
However, SS razors are a bit too expensive for beginners.
Hence, you can never go wrong with vintage Gillette Tech.

3. Pearl razors
4. Romer-7
5. Pink Woolf Razors
I recommend the Qshave. I love my Futur clone (Ming Shi). Mild at lower settings, and the gap really opens up at higher setting. You can squeeze against the spring and open up past the highest setting, but wait until you have a lot of practice for that.

You can experiment with different settings on different passes too. Most like to decrease on successive passes. I like the opposite.

Super flexible razor. Just don't get carried away too fast with the more aggressive settings.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
If I were you, just starting out and I knew what I know now after falling down rabbit holes, I would buy a Gamechanger.

I am not a beginner but just purchased a Rockwell 6C. It'll arrive at the end of the week.
Seems like it would be a great razor to learn on has you can start with R1 or R2 and progress as needed.
I used a Merkur Progress in my early days but would find the setting changing as a shaved (for example from 3 to almost 4). I didn't like having to attend to that.

Top Bottom