What's new

DE Safety Razor for a Beginner

The Wilkinson Sword Classic is the perfect beginner DE razor.

Its durable, has rounded edges with the blade 100% enclosed except for the cutting surface. It is very mild allowing you to work on technique without too much worry of nicks and you have to be deliberate if you want to cut yourself. I gave it to my 14 year old son to use for his first shave (never shaved at all ever before) and he had no problem with it.

Best of all it is very inexpensive to purchase at ~$10 and even comes with 5 blades.

Get the technique down first, then explore getting various gear, plenty of time for that later.
The Wilkinson Sword Classic is the perfect beginner DE razor.

Its durable, has rounded edges with the blade 100% enclosed except for the cutting surface. It is very mild allowing you to work on technique without too much worry of nicks and you have to be deliberate if you want to cut yourself. I gave it to my 14 year old son to use for his first shave (never shaved at all ever before) and he had no problem with it.

Best of all it is very inexpensive to purchase at ~$10 and even comes with 5 blades.

Get the technique down first, then explore getting various gear, plenty of time for that later.
\Good advice, cheap and very smooth.

+1 on the Rockwell 6C / 6S as a beginner razor. On the lower plates, 1 through 3, it is as gentle and easy a shave as is possible to find out there. Then as your skills improve, you can change the plates to get a more efficient, aggressive shave. It is a razor that can grow with you, because by the time you get to plate 6, it's definitely a very sharp tool for close shaves.

I would not wholeheartedly recommend the Parker Variant which was mentioned earlier. In theory, as an adjustable, it could play a similar role as the Rockwell - a razor you can grow with. My issue with the Variant is that it is a very aggressive razor. Even on its lowest setting, I found it prone to nicks and cuts. By the time I got to mid level settings like 3, it was a bloodbath. As a beginner razor I wouldn't particularly recommend it. Now that I am more experienced I can make the Variant work, but I wouldn't call it a beginner razor.

Don't waste time and money buying new razors, until you've cleaned and used what you already have. Shave for a month and develop your shaving technique, trying several different brands of blades beforehand.

Top Bottom