What's new

DE Razors Today verus 10 years ago

I have been on B&B for 14 years. When I first joined, it was 95% Merkur and Vintage Gillettes. Now I marvel at all of the new DE razor offerings in a wide choice of materials; from Bakelite to zinc alloy to brass to stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, ... so many great options.

I have a few of the new offerings in my rotation, but I still like my old Merkur slant (probably best) and a couple of my re-plated Gillettes.

I have been on B&B for 14 years. When I first joined, it was 95% Merkur and Vintage Gillettes. Now I marvel at all of the new DE razor offerings in a wide choice of materials; from Bakelite to zinc alloy to brass to stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, ... so many great options.

I have a few of the new offerings in my rotation, but I still like my old Merkur slant (probably best) and a couple of my re-plated Gillettes.
In my opinion, nothing shaves better than a well designed and made slant. My favorite is the RazoRock Stealth.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

The design of DE razors need to move on. Most of the offerings for sale are variations on the same turn of the 20th century concept. Carts' for instance have moved on with innovations from Gillette like their SkinGuard, WS and others

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I don't own any vintage razors but im really new to wet shaving. But it seems to me that most of the modern razors are copied from from vintage razors. Maybe its just me but in my humble opinion I think it may be a case of don't try to fix what isn't broken. I own a merkur progress which haven't changed from the 1950s and its my daily driver and gives me brilliant shaves. Like I said just my humble opinion.

+1! Lots of changes over the years!

But some of the ’classics’ are classics for the very good reason that they just work! :a29:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
The design of DE razors need to move on. Most of the offerings for sale are variations on the same turn of the 20th century concept. Carts' for instance have moved on with innovations from Gillette like their SkinGuard, WS and others

Um, that's kind of the point of this site. We do not like the 'innovations' for the carts, we think they had this right in the first half of the last century. How long have you been around here?? lol

They are all just blade holders, I don't see any fundamental changes.
No they're not. One can make that argument about SE razors but the cool thing about DE razors is that they manipulate the thin blade, not just hold it, and how that is done is subject to myriad variations with small differences making all the difference in the world.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

No they're not. One can make that argument about SE razors but the cool thing about DE razors is that they manipulate the thin blade, not just hold it, and how that is done is subject to myriad variations with small differences making all the difference in the world.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Good point, but SE and injector razors have thicker and more rigid blades which, for better or worse, more approximate straight razors w/o the scary factor of "cutthroat" razors. I alternate between DE, SE and injector razors.

I've been here about 7 years and it's pretty incredible how many more options became available in that timeframe. Back then I remember it mostly being about EJ, Muhle, Merkur, and Fatip for more mainstream offerings. For higher end, it was pretty much Ikon, ATT, Feather, and Weber.

It's fun to see all the choices available now, but it can also be a bit overwhelming when deciding what to buy, so in that regard, part of me misses those earlier days.

I don't see any big changes in DE razor design. But there have been big changes in quality of materials with the proliferation of new razors crafted from higher quality metals like stainless, brass, and titanium. With some solid stainless models being very affordable. That's a very welcome change IMO.

Top Bottom