What's new

DE razors other than Gillette

Hi I'm still new and have only tried a couple of Gillette razors are there any other good de brands out there? Opinions please. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say.

Do you realize that you are about to open...

proxy.php

If you really want a good razor for very little money buy a Micromatic Open Comb razor cheap off eBay and get some Personna PTFE blades for it. There's nothing very much better in all of shaving and very little that's as good. This is probably not what you expected but it's a big forum favourite for good reason.

Modern or vintage? Most modern razors are non-Gillette. When I started my second razor was the one that was the game changer for me - a Merkur 34c. Lots and lots of different ones out there - read through some of the stickys/wiki pages here under the various forums to get an idea as to some of the different characteristics that razors have and then go with one that seems to line up with what you're looking for.

There are lots!

Two I've used and enjoyed are an Edwin Jager DE89, and I currently have a West Cost Shaving brand titanium and quite like it.

Other brands that are popular/recommended are:
Parker
Merker
Muhle
Feather
Rockwell
Above the Tie
Karve
And many more

There are lots!

Two I've used and enjoyed are an Edwin Jager DE89, and I currently have a West Cost Shaving brand titanium and quite like it.

Other brands that are popular/recommended are:
Parker
Merker
Muhle
Feather
Rockwell
Above the Tie
Karve
And many more
De89 should be here tomorrow. Was looking for vintage but also interested in modern.

In vintage razors, check out Schick Krona, a tto (twist to open) razor well regarded as a mild, efficient razor, and the Star, a three piece razor similar to (some say better than) a Gillette Tech. You can also find a few vintage European de razors on eBay.

In vintage razors, check out Schick Krona, a tto (twist to open) razor well regarded as a mild, efficient razor, and the Star, a three piece razor similar to (some say better than) a Gillette Tech. You can also find a few vintage European de razors on eBay.
ok thanks, i was looking for some things that were different than the gillettes because i have seen some online that are other brands but are 1to1 clones of gillettes razors so it really is no different than the gillettes.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Hi I'm still new and have only tried a couple of Gillette razors are there any other good de brands out there? Opinions please. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say.

Jaro, you didn't say vintage or modern, assuming vintage I'll say there are many wonderful choices so take a look at this famous thread: The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

Now start reading, take notes, and ask questions! :001_cool:

The Star DE has a lot of fans here, and is plentiful and fairly inexensive on ebay or the BST. I'd also recommend any Leresche DE razor, not as common in the US but readily available on the ebay.fr site. French DE razors in general are very good and for the most part aren't Gillette copies.

Top Bottom