What's new

DE Razors I Have Tried Hard to Love

Razors I have tried hard to love but failed: New Deluxe, New Short Comb, Senator, Goodwill with New Guard and Old 162 cap. I loved finding these razors, I love looking at them, but I just don’t love shaving with them.

I just finished with a 1934 Gillette New Deluxe: four shaves with a Bleue Extra and two with a Feather. I experienced no cuts, weepers, or ingrown, but the shaves were neither as close nor as smooth as with a long comb New.
I had exactly the same kinds of shaves with the short comb New as with the Deluxe (and I really love the look of the SC). I tried both the SC and the Deluxe with different handles – BRW, UFO, AKASL, and Griest, as well as their original handles – but to no avail.

The LC New just works better on my face with any handle (and with almost any blade!). I was recently in Sally Beauty Supply and saw loose Personna Blue Labs for $.029 each sitting next to a display of Personna (arrows-only) barber blades in a plastic dispenser – the barber blades were twice as much as the Labs! So I bought the barbers (go figure), and even they gave a close, smooth shave in the LC New!

Other razors I have tried to love include a 1938/39 Senator and a Goodwill Frankenrazor (long comb guard with the art-deco 162 cap). I even shimmed both of those razors, but they just didn’t do the same job as a LC New, and I LOVE to look at both of those razors!

Back to the Deluxe, I moved the two-shave Feather to a LC New with a BRW Improved handle and it was great – 18 hours later is still feels better than many shaves I used to go to work with.

So is this what happens when you find the right shave? I’m not checking the B/S/T every four hours anymore. I haven’t looked at eBay in a couple of days now. Does RAD die like a brilliant Roman Candle? After a short, exhilarating rush only ashes remain on the damp lawn after? (I’m pretty sure that’s what my bathroom sink looks like to my wife.)

Is there such a thing as a RAD-killer? Who has found it?

If you've not tried a Gillette Tech, it continues to be RAD-killer for me. It's the only razor I use; but it took many razor purchases before getting to this place. My setup consists of a 1973 Gillette Tech(I have four)/Ikon 80mm Bulldog barrel and Astra SP blades. Shaving Satori with a two-pass shaves, day-after-day. The blade gap is 0.023".

$IMG_1900.JPG

I have a couple razors that I find to be absolutely stupendous shavers and I couldn't ask for a better shave... but I still like to try other razors.

Does RAD die like a brilliant Roman Candle? After a short, exhilarating rush only ashes remain on the damp lawn after?

Interesting ... I'm happy for you, that you found what you like and works for you. My experience with the NEWs has been different though. While I love the LCs and English flat bottoms, my #77, etc ... I have been enjoying the Deluxe very much, and at this point it is my favorite without any doubt.
It's smooth ( smooth enough for me at least) and more aggressive/efficient than all the other NEWs I have tried, so right now it is my favorite.
Nothing beats a R41 shave though ... a double shimmed R41 shave! :thumbup:

Razors I tried to love ... adjustables. Still like the Black Beauty, but can't remember when was the last time I used it, same for my Progress.

Old Types are fantastic too, and the New Improved. I still prefer the Deluxe though, and the R41 is King.

Answering your question ... RAD does not have cure. There is always something new to try.

Last edited:
I get reasonably good shaves from the Gillette adjustables (Slim, Fatboy, Toggle), but they do not excite me. Since everyone else seems to like them, I have tried to develop some affection for them. No luck.
On the other hand, I like every NEW ever made and all of the razors listed in your post.
As for RAD, it doesn't die, it just fades away ...

Adjustables. They look cool and have all the panache in the world...but they are mediocre for me.

English Raised Flat Bottom New...Jeff made my mouth water every time he described it. But now that I bought one and he loaned me a couple to try out, I am concluding that I like my American Short Comb better.

As for the RAD killer...Muhle 2013 R41.

My NEW shaves more smoothly, but with the R41 I get a two pass with cleanup BBS and ZERO irritation or AS sting.

That has never happened with the NEW, and only once with an Old Type in a year of wetshaving.

The first two shaves with the R41 were sting free BBS shaves.

I ain't looking back.

I tried hard to love the FaTip Grande. I really did. Poor blade alignment and too aggressive for me. Long Comb NEWs work great as well as my 40's SS and '56 Flare Tip.

I thought the 39c was going to work out great, and I gave it a fair shake with many different blades...
For me it shaved tougher than it looked :)

Razors I have tried hard to love but failed: New Deluxe, I loved finding these razors, I love looking at them, but I just don’t love shaving with them.

I just finished with a 1934 Gillette New Deluxe: I experienced no cuts, weepers, or ingrown, but the shaves were neither as close nor as smooth as with a long comb New.
I'm with you on this. I tried to love the NEW Deluxe and the clone from ikon, but got better shaves from a US LC NEW.
Another razor I tried hard to love is the Weber PH. I had high hopes that it would replace my EJ89. I bought one that had the wavy blade. Bummer! I love the handle though.

Last edited:
My SuperSpeed Flair Tip and the English Rocket Flair Tip. Both these razors have some sentimental value to me, so I don't want to give them away. I've shaved with them multiple times, and every shave is 'meh'. They're not bad shaves, but they're nothing really to brag about. I'd rather shave with every other razor I own. I can't imagine I'll ever get rid of these razors. I also don't see myself ever really using them. Que Sera, Sera

Strange.
Whatever I try it works for me - Tech, SS, Aristocrats, Old. The kitchen knife would probably work too.
Any blade - Blue Lab, Red, even Derby and Dorco work great.
I hardly make efforts to love it, but I do at the end.
Maybe I'm lucky

Last edited:
Strange.
Whatever I try it works for me - Tech, SS, Aristocrats, Old. The kitchen knife would probably work too.
Any blade - Blue Lab, Red, even Derby and Dorco work great.
I hardly make efforts to love it, but I do at the end.
Maybe I'm lucky
My skin is like that too. A "bad" shave is one bump on my neck for a few minutes.

There are RAD killers. When you run across one, buy it and keep looking for more. RAD is just too much fun to stop.

I tried hard to love the FaTip Grande. I really did. Poor blade alignment and too aggressive for me. Long Comb NEWs work great as well as my 40's SS and '56 Flare Tip.

Laird, on the reverse side of that I absolutely love the FaTip you PIF'd me. It always gets used at least once a week no matter what. As far as one I just cant fall in love with would have to be my Slim. When I grab for an adjustable I seem to always pick up my Black Beauty.

The Fatboy: tried it (1959) for a week straight, using different settings and blades. Mediocre shave at best.

Tech: have tried 2 (1932 and 1961), just cannot get a smooth shave.

Nice looking razors, but not up to my open comb New and Old styles.

The Edwin Jagger DE89 it's too mild and somewhat uncomfortable on the skin. I have to do too many passes to get a good shave with the EJ. I want to like it because it's well made and gets good reviews. A Schick adjustable (injector) is another one. All settings on the adjustable injector pretty much are the same ... mild. My black handle (1980) Gillette SS. This Super Speed is too light and far too mild that in the end it skips around on my face.

Top Bottom