What's new

DE razor with Minimal or NO blade feel?

I think you can't go wrong with Pre-war Tech.
In fact, I am now searching Tech clones which are more efficient than Pre-war Tech but has the same smoothness.
Please do not get me wrong.
Pre-war tech has enough efficiency for me.
Searching for new razors is quite enjoying.

Thanks for starting this thread. I have come to the same conclusion. I would love something that is efficient yet has no blade feel. When I use mild razors even with a sharp blade it doesn't do a good job of removing all of the stubble and I end up needing multiple passes which aggravates my extremely sensitive neck. After reading through I'm going to give the 6C a try.

The best razor with nearly zero blade feel is the Henson Razor. The Henson "medium" razor has a blade exposure of only .002 (that is 2/1000 inches) and the "mild" version has .001 blade exposure!! You can barely see the blade. It is clamped so tight that there is zero blade chatter. This razor IMHO is the best design for new wet shavers in the last 100 years. Just became available in August 2020. I did not believe it when I saw the pictures and read the hype. After I shaved with it, I was astonished. I got a damn fine shave in 3 irritation free passes and BBS after cleanup. I have 33 other razors (Commercial, Artisan, Vintage, you name it) with which to compare the Henson. Read my review of the Henson on this site in the Clubs and Brotherhoods section, under Henson Razor Club.

Feather AS-D2

This. The D2 has always been sort of the baseline for DE shaving - to the point that many feel they can't shave with it because it doesn't remove any hair. Very narrow gap, very constricted angle of efficiency. It's often recommended for beginning DE shavers, but IMO can be more difficult to use because it requires close attention to angle to get a good shave - if you're off with an R41, you might remove the top layer of your face. If you're off with a D2, you'll pass over your beard without cutting anything. I actually love it, but it requires some experience to use effectively and also seems to work best with Feather blades. On the plus side, it's virtually impossible to get a nick with this razor!

Last edited:
Post war Tech (just about any), and any of the Gillette Adjustable Trio (Fatboy, Slim or Black Beauty) on setting "1" (on a 1, I think a Tech is more aggressive/efficient though).

Mamba .53 is even milder than my old tech. I have to check if I've loaded a blade sometimes because it's so smooth.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For a nice carefree shave and not expensive and enjoyable I would buy the Razorock SLOC(Yaqi Mellon head), I shave with over 40 razor rotation and this is one of the best. If you find it not aggressive enough & efficient just slip in a KAI SS blade and it is a wider blade by .009" thousands giving it a little more blade feel or exposure. There are lots of nice mild razors like the Gillette Super speeds or Oneblade Core............

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Blue Tip Superspeed. For me it’s the king of mild razors. The Schick I and J injectors are right up there as well.

It is a nice milestone when one does not need an aggressive razor anymore. Contrary to what many newbies believe, it is actually easier to use a slightly aggressive razor than a super mild.

It is almost a year since I last visited this forum and it is because I have found what I like and I am not the same eager to experiment anymore. When it comes to razors I want almost no blade feel (= pretty much neutral blade exposure) and a huge gap. Besides making it more difficult to clog, it is something that a huge gap does for comfort and I do not know what it is. For me iKon X3 is the razor I have been shaving with the latest years.

Rockwell 6S or 6C are very mild on plates 1 thru 3. Plate 4 starts to get a little aggressive and 5 tells you to be careful with the feel. Bear in mind that I use Feather blades, and due to different skin types and shapes, YMMV.

Henson Shaving AL13. Don't know if the OP has accomplished his goal since starting the thread in March, but I second Captainjonny above. I've used the medium Henson razor and it has very light blade feel. It's still very effective though. It's new, but there are a number of reviews popping up now around the web, and most seem to say the same: mild but surprisingly effective. There's a milder version available which probably has even less.

I'll add my vote for the Hensen. I'm somewhat new to using a DE razor, started with the 34C. While I could get decent shaves, more often than not I'd end up with some irritation. Yeah, I know, technique, takes time, etc.

Then I got a Hensen. I've used it for maybe a month. In that time I've gotten almost daily, consistent BBS and zero irritation. I mean zero. I mostly do two passes with some clean up. Really, best shaves I've ever had in my 70 years on earth. Did I mention zero irritation?

Technique? Almost none required. Maybe it's cheating, but using this razor is almost too easy.

I consider "low blade feel" doesn't relate to how mild a razor is.

Like the blue tip or feather ASD2 or tech etc are mild and by default low blade feel.

What I consider more pertinent is a razor that is designed to be efficient, yet smooth...
I.e. Low blade flex/chatter.

The Karve D plate is 0.98mm gap and yet it's smoother than most razors that have a smaller gap than this.

I consider the clamping very important but for me, the amount of blade sticking out plays a huge part in blade chatter.

The ATT Windsor has 1mm of blade sticking out and it is buttery smooth, even though the distance from the blade clamping and cutting edge is fairly large.

My favorites for low blade feel/low blade chatter are the Karve and ATT Windsor razors.

Top Bottom