What's new

DE razor users. What technique do you use?

I should also do my part in helping this thread get back on track by stating that my technique encompasses a 2-pass shave, with my 1st pass being N-to-S, using longer passes. I generally rinse under hot running tap water after each pass (turning water off in between) and then flip to the other side of the razor head for the next pass. [I imagine when my DC head comes in, I'll complete all these "1st passes" with the OC side, and the second shave with the SB side.] After the first set of completed passes, I rinse off, re-lather, and perform my second set of passes -- working from ear-to-nose (E-to-W), or whatever others call that, with perhaps a few short S-to-N passes at the bottom of my neck & chin. If I've done my job well, my shave ends here and I start my clean-up process.

This process begins by rinsing my razor in HOT tap water and then:
At the end of a shave, I back my razor off a 1/3-or-so turn and squirt my blade head with a good shot of 99% rubbing alcohol, rinsing both sides of blade. While still loose, I give it a shake and set it down on my hand towel to dry while I clean up my scuttle. I then snug up the head and run one reverse buffing pass each direction over the same towel and put it on the rack. Blades last 3 to 5 shaves, which is about when they start to tug on my S-to-N neck passes.

I generally only handle my blades when I first install them and the again when I remove them for the blade bin. I recently returned from the 10-year-or-so hiatus from these forums since the flurry of activity I had when I started on B&B [just noticed that today is the 12th year anniversary of me joining]. As such, I honestly didn't realize until recently that so many people removed their blades after each shave - I've even now seen racks with magnetized blade holders and dice incorporated in them to track the number of uses. I don't recall that being the way most did it back then (perhaps I am wrong?)... Heck, back then I thought I was adding a lot of "new work" when folks on the forums convinced me to start using a DB brush scuttle instead of only my old camping mug + MWF puck! *yet, I still use that old rusty mug + MWF from time to time*

As a precision rifle shooter, I appreciate the level of record keeping, dutifulness, and care that many of you put in as you enjoy shaving to be far more than 'just a chore' -- it's a fully-fledged hobby. As such, many of us obsess about parts of it...and that's great! Yet, and I say this for me only, I'm reminded that a common error many shooters make is "overcleaning" their rifles -- sometimes doing it to the point of premature wear & tear. The "white glove" cleaning I used to do in the Marine Corps is not analogous to what I do, or is necessary, for my personal firearms now (or razors, as the case may be). I'm sure that's not likely the case for most of you (i..e., you're probably not overcleaning to the point of damage), but I also don't think I'll be one to start removing my blades each shave anytime soon. My hot water rinse (which heats the razor) + 99% alcohol rinse + towel buff has resulted in a pretty darn dry & clean razor for the past 20 or so years I've been following this routine. My coated (Perma-Sharp & Nacet) and uncoated (Astra SS) blades aren't dirty or rusty when I replace them after 3-5 shaves, and I like my routine.

So in keeping with the OP's topic: This is my way -- not suggesting its better than anyone else's -- but I hope it offers a different perspective.

As always YMMV.

Last edited:
I use both edges of a blade but I rinse it off before switching sides anyways because I get better results keeping the blade wet as possible. I flip the blade over the following day but really don’t know for sure it makes a difference I figure it can’t hurt. I typically don’t go past 12 shaves with a blade. On average I get anywhere from 4-8 shaves from a blade depending on how well it holds it’s edge.

Around my way the big box stores only carry King C Gillette and Van Der Hagen blades, way overpriced compared to what I can get online. A local barber supply shop carries Derby Extras at a better price but those are a tough shave for me they just aren’t sharp enough.

I use both sides while shaving and after I'm done, I take the blade out and carefully dry it out with a soft towel and then I put the blade on a magnet until the next shave. I use to push every blade in order to get as many shaves as possible, but now I shave only 3 times (if the blade allowes me to) and regardless of the quality of the blade, I replace it with a new one.

Imo it's not worth the hussle to squeeze an extra shave or two from a blade, since those extra shaves are rarely enjoyable and the last thing I want is to ruin my perfect shave with a dull blade.

Being a cheapskate with a razor, aftershave, brush and soap/cream is one thing, but NEVER with a blade.

Speaking of techniques, does anyone do 3 passes all WTG? Seen some videos online but curious whether it is efficient.

I use both sides while shaving and after I'm done, I take the blade out and carefully dry it out with a soft towel and then I put the blade on a magnet until the next shave. I use to push every blade in order to get as many shaves as possible, but now I shave only 3 times (if the blade allowes me to) and regardless of the quality of the blade, I replace it with a new one.

Imo it's not worth the hussle to squeeze an extra shave or two from a blade, since those extra shaves are rarely enjoyable and the last thing I want is to ruin my perfect shave with a dull blade.

Being a cheapskate with a razor, aftershave, brush and soap/cream is one thing, but NEVER with a blade.
My same thoughts. 3-5 shaves, period. I've been trying to keep just one razor loaded at a time so after a shave, I disassemble the razor, clean the blade and razor. Pat the blade dry and wipe the razor. I'll likely put the blade in a different razor for the next day but with KAIs, I like them best in my AS-D2. Yesterday was shave #4 with it. Still sharp and still smooth enough but I'm wondering if it isn't time for a fresh blade? I've got 1600-1700 and I'm 72. How many blades do I really need? I don't push a blade ever.

Top Bottom