What's new

DE Razor thoughts

I'll start by saying that, at this point in time, I am a straight razor face and neck shaver. I only use my DE razor for my pesky upper-back, around the neck line. Before I got a straight razor, I spent 5 months learning how to shave with DE razors and SE shavettes. I was enticed one day, when I was walking through the shaving aisle at my local H-E-B grocery store, and I saw the Van Der Hagen DE starter razor (butterfly) with five German blades, for the same price as a 5-cartridge refill for the razor I had been using. This started me down the wet-shaving rabbit hole. I quickly learned how much money I could save by making the switch, as well as the fact that the cheap VDH razor was way too mild for me. After some research, I chose the Merkur 34C. After the first use, I loved it. After 4 months of use, it is still my only safety razor. Eventually, I got started down the straight razor rabbit hole. My thoughts are that DE razors, with the blades being so affordable, are the best way to shave on a budget. Japanese steel DE blades like Feather and Shaving Revolution chop right through my beard, and are cheap on Amazon.
2023-04-10-05-24-53-324.jpg

My start in using DE razors started exactly the same way!

I now have a modest collection of DE razors that work well for me. The VDH (which is really a Weishi 9306 rebrand) is pretty mild, but it is also a pretty accurate copy (shave wise) of the 1960s-1970s era Gillette Super Speed. It's not a bad starter razor IMO.

The 34C is great except for the fact that it has relatively poor blade alignment (at least on mine; others have the same problem with it as I understand it). If I can get the blade lined up correctly, the 34C works quite nicely. It's also good with a shim. My preference between the 34C and the DE89/R89 is the R89 because the blade alignment is much better.

Welcome and enjoy your shaves!

I started with a drugstore TTO also. Don't have the box and it is unmarked, but looks like a Bali or Van der Hagen clone.

I quickly moved to a Merkur 34c after finding B&B but never really got along with it, probably operator error, and I gave it to my brother.

My breakthrough was finding various vintage Gillette TTOs and Techs at nearby antique shops, many for 10 bucks or less. The Tech has become my favorite vintage razor and my collection of Techs has grown to 8 (or 10?).

The dive down the rabbit hole has led to a collection of about 3 dozen DE razors (which includes 8-10 modern razors) and a supply of blades that will easily outlive me.

Recently, I've been using Feather and Kai shavettes with Artist Club blades, and have three straight razors in the mail, so the downward spiral continues.

At some point I will begin gifting my excess to family and friends, and selling what's left.

I've never had a misaligned blade in the 34C. That conversation never came up in the facebook wetshaving group, full of members recommending it to me.

I started with a drugstore TTO also. Don't have the box and it is unmarked, but looks like a Bali or Van der Hagen clone.

I quickly moved to a Merkur 34c after finding B&B but never really got along with it, probably operator error, and I gave it to my brother.

My breakthrough was finding various vintage Gillette TTOs and Techs at nearby antique shops, many for 10 bucks or less. The Tech has become my favorite vintage razor and my collection of Techs has grown to 8 (or 10?).

The dive down the rabbit hole has led to a collection of about 3 dozen DE razors (which includes 8-10 modern razors) and a supply of blades that will easily outlive me.

Recently, I've been using Feather and Kai shavettes with Artist Club blades, and have three straight razors in the mail, so the downward spiral continues.

At some point I will begin gifting my excess to family and friends, and selling what's left.
You will love a good straight razor shave.

I use a straight razor most of the time, but now and again I get out my DE safety razors just for fun. The Merkur 34C is a good razor. I have a EJ DE89 that my wife gave me years ago and I still like. I've got old Gillettes and a Razorock Game Changer with both heads that I never got along with. My favorite razors are my Hensons, however.

Top Bottom