What's new

DE Razor Storage

I'm starting to accrue more DE razors than I have space for, while in search of De nirvana... That one razor that will do it all. I have some that please me more, and some less, but since none of them eat anything or require constant care, they will all have a home for life.
If left to my own devices, I'm a slob... well not a slob so much, just that I'm not organized, but if others in the house would leave my stuff alone, I'd be able to put my finger on any of my possessions.
So, to keep some semblance of peace in the home, I'm going to have to procure some type of attractive storage device for the DE razors..

If this is the wrong forum, please point me in the direction of the correct one.. All ideas and advice are welcome!

Well, just a couple questions and your answers might help. How many razors do you want to store? Do you want to see these stored razors? Do you want to shave with these stored razors? Do you want to hang your razors on a wall or put them on a sink or store them in a showpiece? Ah so many questions.

Well, just a couple questions and your answers might help. How many razors do you want to store? Do you want to see these stored razors? Do you want to shave with these stored razors? Do you want to hang your razors on a wall or put them on a sink or store them in a showpiece? Ah so many questions.

I'm sure a half dozen spaces will take care of my needs for some time..
I like wood.. or I should say a traditional look as opposed to contemporary, and yes, I'd like to view them... Part of the enjoyment.

I'm looking for ideas of what others have done. I'm a fairly simple person, so nothing too fancy..

Wood would be great but also expensive unless you can make them yourself. I have some very nice heavy gauge clear plastic boxes that DE's fit in perfectly. I believe I have a picture or two of them around here somewhere. I'll post them or take new ones.

Something like a key rack,,,instead of a half loop hook type of piece, try to nails togeather or something similar. Just an idea to build on.

I second the pipe rack idea. I picked up one that is nice and plain, not too dated looking, and rectangular ( which is good when you want to store it on a shelf). It is perfect, and holds 12 razors. Unfortunately, I just got my 14th razor today, and need a place to start storing st8s, so I'm gonna have to either start hunting for another pipe rack, or make one that will match mine.

Antique stores are a great place to check. I almost always see at least one pipe rack in every antique store I visit. Sometimes you can get lucky and not only find a cheap, but nice, storage solution, but maybe even a razor or two to add to the collection.:thumbup:

Bob at Bob's Razor Work is a wood worker by trade branched off into shaving.
Bob makes some very nice wooden racks that he sells and at $25 they are a steal. See link below.

If you were close to North Atlanta we could design and make our own as a nice little wood project. I have all the tools, just need a little hard wood and some time. The time being the real issue.

https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/accessories

Last edited:
Another option would be wooden test tube racks (Google/eBay), but of the three mentioned, I like Bob's the best. Or you could make something similar if you're handy.

Last edited:
Bed bath & Beyond has a great toothbrush holder, chrome plated & shows no rust. Holds 4 razors and looks good also. I have 2 and about to buy another. Cost as I recall, about $16

All of these are great tips and I picked up a few ideas in this thread I might try; :closedeye However -- If you are a thrifty guy like me (Read: Wife keeps tight purse-strings on my shave habits), you might want to make one yourself, rather than buy.

Here is what I did:

1. I had a few pieces of spare wood in the shop, and I picked up some stainless steel eyelets from the hardware store (20 cents each).
2. I sanded the wood smooth and gave it a nice walnut stain, rubbed it with tongue oil and applied a light coat of semi-gloss urethane (this helps prevent it from absorbing water).
3. Next, I assembled the boards perpendicular to each other forming an "L" shape. Pre-drilled and inserted the screws from underneath. (this prevents the wood from splitting and conceals the screws.
4. Last, I pre-drilled & threaded the eyelets into the upper board.

You can assemble it many different ways, & customize it to suit your needs/likes. I used a router to finish the edges on my wood prior to staining and gave it a real nice professional look. The project was very easy and only took a few hours. (drying time mostly) My out of pocket expense was less than $1 considering I had most everything on hand already. I am in the process of designing/making a large counter-top valet style storage shelf and may soon retire this one.

I'm at work now... but I will try to remember to post some pics later.

Top Bottom