What's new

DE razor geometry. A system for measuring aggressive razors.

I reviewed my post with the cut paper and I realized I was looking at the wrong surface. This made me think, what about scanning a manually drawn orthogonal projection of the razor profile?
20210811_192457.jpg

20210811_193333.jpg

The obvious issue here is not the precision of the camera, but that of my fingertips. However, this obstacle could be eliminated if I could take a "footprint" of the razor profile on a sheet of paper, then scan it. What do you think of this idea? To the chemistry experts: how can you use carbon paper with a DE razor instead of a writing instrument? Any alternative to carbon?

Today I got an idea how to obtain an accurate razor profile image:
  • take the head apart from the handle of the razor
  • press the razor head against a porous substance, e.g. polystyrene*
  • take a sheet of carbon paper and put it on top of a blank sheet
  • press the substance against the carbon paper
  • scan the blank sheet
I suppose using ink instead of carbon paper would yield a much higher contrast, but then comes the question of choice: which ink can be easily evenly spread and doesn't dry instantly? How can the head be reliably fixed in place before hammering it?

* The head profile should lie perpendicularly on top of the substance without any outer influence, even slant heads. For pressing, some sort of stabilizer is required to make sure the head is pressed exactly perpendicularly

Top Bottom