What's new

DE razor geometry. A system for measuring aggressive razors.

Can i maybe use this type of mm grid at the same distance as the top of my razor and calibrate my distortion filter?
Yes! excellent idea, that should take care of the add on lens. You will need to do it every time because you can't guarantee that you put the lens on the same as the last time.

I can adjust the distortion in affinity photo. There is suppose to be 2% with my lens. However i am not sure what happens when it is combined with the phone lens.
Can i maybe use this type of mm grid at the same distance as the top of my razor and calibrate my distortion filter? Just an idea.

Makes sense. Post a pic of the uncorrected version and the corrected version. That will be really interesting to see! 😃

Last edited:
Here is an interesting macro lens from Apexel. It's a 100mm macro lens, as compared to most offerings which are 20-25mm. I don't understand optics even a little bit, but it seems plausible that a larger lenses might be less prone to distortion all else being equal. The Apexel 12x/24x is the lens from the infamous "smiling ruler" pics I posted, (its a 25mm lens). The Apexel 100mm lens seems like it might be worth checking out.

The first video is a review comparing the Apexel 12x/24x with the 100mm. It was posted earlier in the thread and is what brought the Apexel lenses to my attention. The second video is a nice review (in Hindi) of it by a guy whose channel is about mobile phone macro lenses. His evaluation at the end says it has better depth of field than most macros, and has less distortion. It's magnification is only 10x, and it's working distance is 2", but if it could do the job with less distortion and better depth of field, it might be a good option for razor photos. At $32, it's exactly the same price as the Plugable USB 2.0.

I would buy it to test it for distortion and depth of field, but my phone is auto-focus only. If anybody was interested in trying out a macro lens for taking measurements of razors, this one might have potential.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I would buy it to test it for distortion and depth of field, but my phone is auto-focus only. If anybody was interested in trying out a macro lens for taking measurements of razors, this one might have potential.
I would wait until @JPO has a chance to try his distortion correction software on his. I took about 15 minutes to look at it more in depth for you, the bill is in the mail.

Let's get this out of the way, yes it works. That's been established. There are issues with repeatability due to the method of attachment that have already been discussed. But, let's talk about optics for a minute. According to the manufacturer there are 5 elements in four groups. However the picture only shows 3 groups. This is not a telephoto lens construction by definition. That doesn't mean it doesn't provide the EQUIVALENT field of view as a 100mm lens. In short, and fascinating actually, that what this is is like using a compact camera attached to a spotting scope for bird photography. The optics are, let's say, simpler in a scope compared to a real telephoto lens. Can you get great pictures through it, yes. There is more going on with this that you will probably catch, but I prefer to simply stick with whether it works. For something this simply designed, even compared to your microscope, it seems a waist of time to get any more academic. But feel free if you must!

Crud, I already can't edit this?
Thinking about this a bit more because I can't calm my brain down, thanks.
This is a 3x teleconverter. What that means is that the lens provides 100mm equivalent by taking a camera lens of approximately 5.5mm focal length multiplying by a crop factor of 5.5 to 6.5 then multiply by 3x and you get 100mm equivalent.
This explains how it is possible to offer this so cheap, but most DSLR converters top out at 2x. However they only cost a fraction of the cost of a dedicated telephoto lens. You usually don't use teleconverters in macrophotography so I continue to be amazed.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Crud, I already can't edit this?
Thinking about this a bit more because I can't calm my brain down, thanks.
This is a 3x teleconverter. What that means is that the lens provides 100mm equivalent by taking a camera lens of approximately 5.5mm focal length multiplying by a crop factor of 5.5 to 6.5 then multiply by 3x and you get 100mm equivalent.
This explains how it is possible to offer this so cheap, but most DSLR converters top out at 2x. However they only cost a fraction of the cost of a dedicated telephoto lens. You usually don't use teleconverters in macrophotography so I continue to be amazed.

It's not like I understand any of it anyway.

I am fixing to take a little course I bought on how to get great photos with my iPhone. It was an impulse purchase and probably a foolish one, but I'm going to get my money's worth. Maybe (but I doubt it) I'll then have some understanding of what you guys are talking about.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I am fixing to take a little course I bought on how to get great photos with my iPhone. It was an impulse purchase and probably a foolish one, but I'm going to get my money's worth. Maybe (but I doubt it) I'll then have some understanding of what you guys are talking about.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You're in the right place, I don't understand what we're talking about either most of the time. :w00t:

We're basically just trying to take accurate photos of blade exposure and gap at this point, but it's harder than it looks. We're resorting to voodoo, but that's harder than it looks too. 😃

Don't worry about the jargon, photography is an art. It can be reduced to the mere mechanical, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

As photographers, we are trying to capture light. Everything is in the service of getting it and manipulating it to create our vision. That is art, the vision of the human mind captured and interpreted to others.

If you wish to understand something of the technical, learn about light. Overall exposure, shadow and highlight. How much or how little. Shoot in bright sun and late evening. Good lighting and bad. Learn how to manipulate your mechanical contrivance to capture that light.

Expose your self to others works, but don't let them dictate your vision. Learn some rules, then break them.
Happy photography journey

The Iphone 12 pro has a new ap called apple pro raw. (my wife has this phone) You can take RAW pics and edit them in this ap.
Would i be able to use this and eliminate the distortion?

According to my reading, Abode has profiled several phone's lenses. Or there is probably a plug in somebody has created. I have never tried this, but you should be able to open it in Lightroom and find a lens correction setting. I would be curious what phones are in there. It doesn't appear you can correct based on lens profile without Adobe or a compatible plug in. I would image any in phone(Apple) correction would be for correcting visible distortion not based on a know profile. Without the phone in hand, that's the best I have.

According to my reading, Abode has profiled several phone's lenses. Or there is probably a plug in somebody has created. I have never tried this, but you should be able to open it in Lightroom and find a lens correction setting. I would be curious what phones are in there. It doesn't appear you can correct based on lens profile without Adobe or a compatible plug in. I would image any in phone(Apple) correction would be for correcting visible distortion not based on a know profile. Without the phone in hand, that's the best I have.
Thank you I will have to borrow the phone and mess with it some.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have been busy making handles on my new Sherline lathe, but I took pic of a ruler and the grid pattern I place my vise and razors on, after looking at all those fisheye and distorted pics. This looks fairly straight to me.
WIN_20210625_09_00_22_Pro.jpg

Then I decided to get fancy and use a Nagler Type 6 eyepiece to check the colimitation.
WIN_20210626_15_07_20_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210626_15_08_35_Pro.jpg

You can almost count all 6 optics from the reflections. Now I know that the scope is lined up straight.
20210626_151344[1].jpg

I do think the Tele Vue 13mm Nagler Type 6 eyepiece is a little above the budget...

1624771140581.png

Do you think this coin microscope would work Can any of you poke holes in this product.

Coin Microscope,Elikliv 4.3" LCD Digital Microscope 1000x with 8 LED Lights for Kids and Adults,Handheld USB Microscope Camera for Coin/Soldering,PC View,Windows Compatible

So, I saw these a couple weeks ago while researching microscopes. The short answer is there is a trade off having the screen on there. They are made for observation more than capture. You are generally paying the same as a 5MP for a 2MP microscope. Also, most of them are focused on video capability, indicating a different sensor more suited for the purpose. You can get a decent 5MP one with a geared rail if you are ready to spend $100.

Top Bottom