What's new

DE Razor Choice!

After getting use to lathering with my Omega Boar brush and finding that I enjoy creams over soaps I decided it was time to take the next step, to buy myself that well deserved DE Razor and I've came across two that seem both reasonable and I was wondering on some input from the fellow B&B members. I've read reviews on both razors and they seem to do well and both are pretty much exactly the same price, and here they are.

Murkur 33C

or

Edwin Jagger DE86

Based on what I've read here on B&B both are good choices. I myself prefer the Merkur 1904 style. But this is all personal preference. Buy whichever one tickles your fancy the most and learn to shave with it. It probably won't be the only razor you'll buy.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
One or the other, they both are very good!

Both considered good choices.

I can recommend the EJ.
I have its twin, the Muhle R106, and I like it a lot.

The head gets well deserved praise, and is a very smooth but close shaver.
Might fit well with your preference for creams.

Usually, the finishing on EJ is excellent and flawless.

I personally like the black resin handle, but some gentlemen on the B&B report to find it slippery. While I have no problems with the handle whatsoever, you may want to take that into account and give the metal handled EJ a try.

Difficult choice - so maybe you should get both!!!:w00t:

I currently use a Merkur Progress, FB and Slim and have two others on standby. :001_huh:

have you considered a vintage Gillette? excellent razors and it's plain cool to shave with a piece of history!

The EJ DE89(L) made by Muhle are "can't lose" razors... for the money, fine craftsmanship, weight, balance and feel - they are the new standard in DEs.

I have been using the Edwin Jagger DE86 , its my first DE razor and its been great.
It can get a little slippery when it comes to the handle, but really no big deal.
My next one I will most likely get a longer handle razor.

Cheers and enjoy.

using EJ 89 L love it lined chrome handle easy when get lther water on it -- good size for me ( ihave large hands) love the shave!

The EJ DE89L was my first razor, and it is still my go to razor today. All I can say about this razor is that it is absolutely wonderful and you will not be disappointed in it, good choice my friend.

Difficult choice - so maybe you should get both!!!

+1

I have the Merkur 23C which I believe is the same as the 33C just with a longer handle which is nice since I have fairly large hands. It's one of my favorite razors.

Difficult choice - so maybe you should get both!!!

+1

I have the Merkur 23C which I believe is the same as the 33C just with a longer handle which is nice since I have fairly large hands. It's one of my favorite razors.

That is how it begins:thumbup:

I'd go with the EJ. I've got close to 25 razors now (including the Pils and Feather stainless) and the DE89L is still the razor I reach for most often. It is such a good shaver that I'm thinking about buying a second one just to stash away as a backup.

+1 on the Merkur 1904. There is just something about this razor that is special. Plus it is a great performer and gives ME the smoothest and least irritation of the razors I have tried. In a nutshell....I am a better DE shaver because of this razor. $24 at West Coast Shaving...check it out!

Top Bottom