What's new

De razor brands

Which double edge safety razor brand will give me the closest shave possible/on the market? Which razor will allow the blade to shave closest or have adjustment settings to achieve such closeness as desired? King camp gillette series, schick, merkur, ect....? How could this be determined assuming it can??

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I think an adjustable razor might help you. You can buy a Gillette Fatboy or a Gillette Slim for little money and you can adjust them to find what setting gives you the best shave. Plus with the weight of the razor you are not going to press down to hard like you might with a disposable razor.

Which double edge safety razor brand will give me the closest shave possible/on the market? Which razor will allow the blade to shave closest or have adjustment settings to achieve such closeness as desired? King camp gillette series, schick, merkur, ect....? How could this be determined assuming it can??
Difficult to know without you providing further detail; e.g. daily shaver, ocasional shaver and how you progress in learning good technique. There is a learning curve in transition from using a cartridge razor to DE or SE razor. Have you done any research on using a DE? You will find much useful information in the Shave Wiki, link at top left of page.
Nearly all razors will achieve what you want but the adjustable razors allow some finer tuning to the individual needs. The limitation at the end of the day is the person holding the handle and their ability to use the tool effectively. Just bear in mind razors are not the precision tools some claim and brass and zinc alloy razors have been around for decades and have performed admirably. At some point you will have to dip your toe in and start the learning process; set a budget and decide.
The most important factor missing in your question is the bit at the business end, the blade which does the cutting. There are many choices and views are subjective so a blade sampler is usually recommended.

I think an adjustable razor might help you. You can buy a Gillette Fatboy or a Gillette Slim for little money and you can adjust them to find what setting gives you the best shave. Plus with the weight of the razor you are not going to press down to hard like you might with a disposable razor.

+1! An adjustable would be a great way to start!

IMHO there is no ‘best’ of anything; there may be what is best for me. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Where can i buy the very best adjustable razor????

As I have said before, no razor is able to shave closer than at skin level. Almost any razor will allow this as long as your technique is good.

Certainly there are razors that will shave close even with a bad technique. But with those the punishment for bad technique is irritation. Mühle R41 is among the most aggressive razors and will shave close regardless of your technique. It is more aggressive than most adjustable razors adjusted to max. But is that really what you desire? I mean close a shave to any price?

What is your budget?????
The Gillette Fatboy or Slim Adjustable are great second hand razors available from the usual auction sites ; for ones in good condition you may have to be patient.
The Merkur Progress or it's clone, the Parker Variant, are available from online stores.
All excellent choices for your first DE razor.
To be complete I should mention the Rockwell 6S which comes with a choice of 3 plates {6 settings}. Here is a discussion which may interest you; Rockwell 6* vs Dial Adjustable Razors - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/rockwell-6-vs-dial-adjustable-razors.597263/

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

Well, first you have to figure out which one is the best one. Problem is: none of us can tell you. We're not inside your face.

Pick up a Merkur Progress from any online vendor. Buying a new razor means you won't be wondering if the reason it's so good/bad is because of something the previous owner(s) did to it. Save that bit of drama for later.

While you're at it, pick up some tucks of various blades. Choose a variety.

Now pick a blade, put it in the razor, lather up and let'er rip. Take notes. Explore that blade in all possible settings. Make a chart or an Excel spreadsheet if that helps. Shave out a couple of that blade, then start the process over again with a different blade.

Eventually you'll start to see the patterns. This blade likes that gap; this other one's great WTG but pulls like a cart horse ATG. Maybe there's a specific gap on the razor that works best for you. Take note of that and look for a nonadjustable that has comparable blade gap and edge exposure.

It's really not a big deal, but it's also always YOUR experience.

O.H.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sounds like you need a adjustable, that is a lot of wants and a adjustable will deliver.
Vintage- Gillette slim or Fat boy'
New- Merkur progress or Parker Variant & Vikings adjustable?.
My first razor was a Gillette slim and it was challenging for this Newbie, still have it & not for sale.

Top Bottom