What's new

DE Newbie

After 20+ years of shaving with cartridges and hating the irritation, ingrown hairs and general chore-ness of it, I found B&B after some googling.

After squeezing every last bit of life from my last Fusion cartridge I bought a Wilkinson Sword razor with 5 blades from the grocery store for $25 on a bit of an impulse purchase. Usually I’ll research things to death first but hey why not jump right in. I can always upgrade later on right?

Four shaves later and I’m really happy with the results so far :) it takes longer and I’m using the same old shaving cream as before, but for the first time ever I feel like I could shave two days in a row without demolishing my face! Way less irritation and the ingrown hairs on my neck are looking better.

I read through the newbie tips and looks like I’ll have to invest in a brush and some better cream. Thanks for the tips everyone :)

Welcome aboard. I am a few months in myself. It is easy to get overwhelmed by the many choices. As far as a brush, I recommend a Yaqi synthetic. I started with an inexpensive Omega boar brush, which requires a little breaking in to soften up, but the price is right and it is my preferred brush. I also got a Yaqi Sagrada Familia on sale. They both serve me well and I do not have brush acquisition disorder :)

Soaps and creams are my favorite part of the adventure. You can start with Gillette Pure from the local grocery store to quickly start out.

As for razor, I suggest getting comfortable with what you have for a few weeks. All the research will be overwhelming and you will want to try everything out there. Most recommendations for a beginner are any one of the very similar Merkur 34C/EdwinJagger/Muhle x89 as a good solid excellent mild razor. To that mighty triumverate I would add the Gillette Heritage (Amazon) or King C. Gillette (Walgreens) as great choices. They both use a head made by Muhle, I think.

I started with 34C, and found it too mild. If you do not mind a razor with some weight, go with the Rockwell 6S. It has 6 baseplates that provide velvety smooth shaving on each level. You would never need another razor.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome! My face told a very similar story! I look forward to hearing how the brush, soap/cream works out. Best of luck on your new journey... you might want to start clearing some space in the medicine cabinet now.

Top Bottom