What's new

DE n00b with SR question...

Been shaving for a month or so, every other day, with a DE razor - so maybe 15-20 shaves. I'm still struggling to get rid of the whiskers directly under my nose/nostrils. I've tried smooshing, stretching, lip curls, pig-nose, you name it and reluctantly admit that I have been relying on the single edge trimmer on my Harry's razor to quickly clean this up.

Not comfortable going ATG in this area and seriously want to wean myself off of the carts, so the question:

Would a disposable single-edge shaver (shavette?) like a Parker be better than my DE?...or just folly? (...and maybe I should I just work more diligently on my DE technique).

Please note that I have absolutely zero interest in SR shaving at this time, other than the reason stated above.

Thanks 🙂

With a straight that is called "The Fools Pass". As one slip and there goes your nose fool! I don't shave my upper lip so I can't help much but I think most folks do down, then left then right with a DE. I can see trying to get a DE or even an SE under your nose and moving up would be tough.

Someone else will be along soon.

Well, I'm sure techique comes into play with either DE or SR but I thought of it while using the single-edge on my Harry's cartridge, though that may not (likely) be in even the same ballpark as cleaning up with a disposable SR.

The way I shave in under the nose with a DE is to come from beside the nostril, and move down and toward the filtrum using the very corner of the blade, with a Gillette slide motion. Combined with having my tongue pushing up under the part of the upper lip under the blade, it works great.

My first shavette was purchased specifically for moustache trimming, I trim both under my nose and above my lip. I would strongly encourage you to try one of the Maggards $20 shavettes, they take half DE and injector blades. They aren't as good as AC, but they get you started.

Technique wise, you still have to come in steep with the shavette and curl without the blade touching skin too much. The real advantage is being able to see the blade edge instead of feeling your way to the next cut. You can, if so inclined, get single hair precision. Also with the Shavette, I can basically put half of the top of the head in my nose and cut down or slightly diagonal. I tend to use muscles to push my upper lip down while slightly opening my mouth and I don't have to use my off hand to stretch.

Be warned, once you learn to use an open blade with great precision you will not be able to help trying it on other parts of you face. Then an Artist Club razor makes sense...

My first shavette was purchased specifically for moustache trimming, I trim both under my nose and above my lip. I would strongly encourage you to try one of the Maggards $20 shavettes, they take half DE and injector blades. They aren't as good as AC, but they get you started.

Technique wise, you still have to come in steep with the shavette and curl without the blade touching skin too much. The real advantage is being able to see the blade edge instead of feeling your way to the next cut. You can, if so inclined, get single hair precision. Also with the Shavette, I can basically put half of the top of the head in my nose and cut down or slightly diagonal. I tend to use muscles to push my upper lip down while slightly opening my mouth and I don't have to use my off hand to stretch.

Be warned, once you learn to use an open blade with great precision you will not be able to help trying it on other parts of you face. Then an Artist Club razor makes sense...

Thanks.

Any reason to consider the Maggard razor over the Parker, other that the ability to use injector blades?...are the injector blades superior in some way?

Thanks.

Any reason to consider the Maggard razor over the Parker, other that the ability to use injector blades?...are the injector blades superior in some way?
They are more rigid, these shavettes tend not to clamp DE blades well enough to prevent deflection. The main reason to buy the one from Maggards over the Parker is the shape of the head. It may look less manoeuvrable, but it is more stable. That is one other problem with the DE shavettes, keeping them stable. The head provides no support, you are just free handing it...

I was never able to fully master mine until I used an Artist Club razor for months and came back to it. It just wants to rotate in your fingers constantly.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Of course everyone's face is different, thankfully, or we would all be as incredibly handsome as @FarmerTan.

Don't be too afraid of performing a fool's pass (ATG upper lip) with a straight razor shavette. It doesn't take long to master as long as you concentrate. I do it every shave and it's great for cleaning up under the nose.

If you pull your nose up and over you should be able to get those pesky whiskers.
I'm trying! 😄

...but it never fails...I finish up, dry everything, put it all away, sit down to relax in front of the TV...and that is when I discover the miss under my nose. So, back to the bathroom, touch up again, and again until I cry uncle and grab Harry's.

I was just curious if the disposable might be an option, but I'll keep working on my form. 🙂

I'm thinking I need to stop reaching for the crutch and just get better.

I hear the safest way to do the Fools Pass is to hold the razor with both hands and move the face not the blade. I'm still going to pass on that one.

A has two of the Feather AC Shavettes. The best Shavettes on the market IMO. I've tried the half a DE blade in a low-cost shavette and they just don't hold the blade well enough for me.

I hear the safest way to do the Fools Pass is to hold the razor with both hands and move the face not the blade. I'm still going to pass on that one.

A has two of the Feather AC Shavettes. The best Shavettes on the market IMO. I've tried the half a DE blade in a low-cost shavette and they just don't hold the blade well enough for me.
That’s the way. You need a very sharp blade or it will tend to start and stop. You don’t want that.

As a SR shaver, I would say that an ATG on the upper lip directly under the nose (aka "fool's pass") is one of the most challenging
passes. It took me about many, many shaves before I was able tackle this one. I also hold the SR with two hands when I do a "fool's pass." That said, I find that a focused XTG will trim the hairs under the nose, even with a DE, by using the corner of the blade, drawing toward the nose diagonally, kind of between an ATG and XTG. In fact, I did this last night with a Feather AS-D2 (which I was using for the first time) and was able to quickly dispatch those pesky whiskers under the nose. One key, as has been said, is a sharp blade whether it is a SR or a DE (I used a new Feather blade yesterday).

I've been SR shaving for over a decade. And I won't attempt the Fool's Pass. The risk/reward just isn't worth it, especially for someone who is admittedly a novice SR or Shavette user.

No one is going to notice a less than BBS shave under your nose. But, I'll bet you that they damn well will notice a giant scab from the butchery of trying the Fool's Pass.

That's why it's called what it is.

YMMV

I believe that @Polarbeard said it best. Probably my favourite B&B post!

To me not doing a a third and final pass ATG would be like, after wonderful evening, kiss a beautiful woman on the cheek, wish her a good night and then leave her at her doorstep after that she asked if you would like to come in for a glass of wine.

Never ever say no to a glass of fine wine.

The last step of my ATG pass is the upper lip. A BBS upper lip is the final proof of that you've reached straight razor Nerdvana

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I've been SR shaving for over a decade. And I won't attempt the Fool's Pass. The risk/reward just isn't worth it, especially for someone who is admittedly a novice SR or Shavette user.

No one is going to notice a less than BBS shave under your nose. But, I'll bet you that they damn well will notice a giant scab from the butchery of trying the Fool's Pass.

That's why it's called what it is.

YMMV
No one ever told me that a fool's pass could be dangerous until well after I had started doing them. With hundreds of fool's passes now under my belt, I have yet to do any damage to my nose. The worst I have done was the odd weeper on my upper lip when I first started doing fool's passes. To solve that, all I had to do was improve the edge keenness, reduce my pressure (even more) against the skin and further flatten the shave angle. I don't move (nod) my head against the blade. I get better results moving the blade against my skin.

I started off holding the blade with two hands but soon found it easier and better to just hold the razor with my dominant hand. I have yet to try a fool's pass with my non-dominant hand :biggrin1:.

If you don't give it a go, you'll never ever know.

Which DE are you having trouble with under the nose? DEs with thicker heads I can't fully get under the nose until my XTG pass (DE89, Muhle), but with a thinner headed DE I find it to be a bit easier (Tech, Old Type). With a straight razor its easier in my opinion. Haven't tried a shavette at all so can't say I'd recommend in diving straight into those but why not give it a go?

Regarding going ATG- my face just can't take it daily (by that I mean I'm too much of a dope to pull it off!) with DE but with a good SR edge (or Rolls razor edge) it's certainly easier in my opinion. Like a hot knife through butter.

Which DE are you having trouble with under the nose? DEs with thicker heads I can't fully get under the nose until my XTG pass (DE89, Muhle), but with a thinner headed DE I find it to be a bit easier (Tech, Old Type). With a straight razor its easier in my opinion. Haven't tried a shavette at all so can't say I'd recommend in diving straight into those but why not give it a go?

Regarding going ATG- my face just can't take it daily (by that I mean I'm too much of a dope to pull it off!) with DE but with a good SR edge (or Rolls razor edge) it's certainly easier in my opinion. Like a hot knife through butter.

Any DE, but I'll work on it - and I have plenty to choose from. 🙂

Funny you mention the Rolls. I picked one up at an antique shop for 10 bucks, not knowing what it was, but discovered when I got home that the handle is missing.

The leather looks good, stone is in one piece, blade is a bit rusty in spots, but the strop mechanism seems to work correctly. I had a hard time iguring it out at first, until I realized that the pins on the safety bar had slipped out of the holes on the blade. Still need a handle though, if it is even possible to locate one.

Do you use the Rolls like a DE (as far as technique)?...and if I were to try it, any concern about the Rolls edge being "shave ready", or do I just stone it, strop it, and have a shave?

Any DE, but I'll work on it. 🙂

Funny you mention the Rolls. I picked one up at an antique shop for 10 bucks, not knowing what it was, but discovered when I got home that the handle is missing.

The leather looks good, stone is in one piece, blade is a bit rusty in spots, but the strop mechanism seems to work correctly. I had a hard time iguring it out at first, until I realized that the pins on the safety bar had slipped out of the holes on the blade. Still need a handle though, if it is even possible to locate one.

Do you use the Rolls like a DE (as far as technique)?...and if I were to try it, any concern about the Rolls edge being "shave ready", or do I just stone it, strop it, and have a shave?
Shave ready- probably not. I ignore the stone in the mechanism entirely, just could never get it to work for me. They take on a great edge with a standard honing progression. Regarding shaving, I treat it like a GEM 1912 shave (very flat on the face) but implement skin stretching like with a straight razor. Great shavers. If you can get a handle for it (one that unscrews versus pressure fits imo) I highly recommend sending out a blade to be sharpened and giving it a go. It's nothing to be intimidated by.

Top Bottom