What's new

DE Gift Recommendations, Please.

My brother has patiently attend four medical procedures with me in the past four months. I would like to pick up a gift for him. He uses a DE (not sure which), but has commented that he wished he had one, "with bomb bay doors." Are these still made? If so, will you recommend a new one, please? My brother just shaves; this is not a hobby for him, if that matters. I don't think he would enjoy using a vintage razor.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:
I just shave, but really like my Fatboy razor. It is a twist to open, which I assume is what you mean by bomb bay doors. However, if you are set on a new one, there are TTO razors made by several manufacturers. Check out West Coast Shaving, Italian Barber, Maggards or other sites for what they offer. Parker has several models that are TTO and fairly inexpensive (the 82R has been recommended by some here on B&B). I believe Weishi is also TTO.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I just shave, but really like my Fatboy razor. It is a twist to open, which I assume is what you mean by bomb bay doors. However, if you are set on a new one, there are TTO razors made by several manufacturers. Check out West Coast Shaving, Italian Barber, Maggards or other sites for what they offer. Parker has several models that are TTO and fairly inexpensive (the 82R has been recommended by some here on B&B). I believe Weishi is also TTO.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

+1. My guess is that he is talking about TTO razors. You can go with one of the 'modern' options above, or consider one of the classic ('used') options such as a "slim" (my personal favorite) or "fatboy" from one of the auction sites.

Great, thanks, and yes TTO is what he's looking for, and I didn't know what they're called. I appreciate your help.

If you want a modern one that is on the mild side (like the Gillette Super Speed) I would recommend the Weishi. They come in a bunch of different finishes in case your brother has a preference. For something a little more unusual (and slightly more aggressive), I just reviewed the Pearl OC last week:

Pearl SBF-11 TTO OC razor review

Don't know of a razor with bomb bay doors, but I also reviewed the Bombay razor (but it is a three piece design).

The perfect gift is always the thing you wouldn't mind having but wouldn't go out and buy yourself:

Birth year razor in mint condition with original case is always thoughtful. I did this for my brother and he appreciated it. Or the modern route:

Rockwell Model T.

In tto world vintage is quality. So, why not go with vintage Gillette and modern plating like Delta Echo.

Modern - go Micro Touch One or Weishi.

Vintage - much higher quality, look for a Gillette Super Speed from 1960's or earlier. '

You can find lots of both on eBay.

If there's a way to find out what he is currently using it might help give clues as to what sort of TTO (the "bomb bay door" design, love that description btw) might be a good fit for him.

Very thoughtful of you to consider this sort of gift!

+1 for a Vintage Gillette or maybe a Schick Krona. Birth year would be really cool. Razor Emporium does a great restoration job and will also re-plate it. Delta Echo, as mentioned, also does a great job.

This is very generous of you. I hope you are doing better. Will say some prayers.

Go to Walmart and look in the shaving department for the Van der Hagen safety razor. It is a rebranded Weishi TTO razor that is very mild. I have one and really like it for my sensitive skin and is only arond $17.
van der hagen-1.jpg

If you go vintage, you might also consider a razor from the year your father or grandpa might have started shaving. Gillette started making TTO razors in 1934 (But razors from 1930-1950 did not get serial numbers or date codes). You can leave the razor with its vintage look, or get it completely refinished (replated) for about $100.

Doesn't Parker have some TTO options?
They do at around $30. but they are more aggressive than the Weishi TTO razors. I have 3 and love them, but rarely use them because I prefer a milder razor. The Parkers are a great option though for a new TTO razor.

Get him a mint Slim, Gillette had its ducks in a row as far as razors go. I would rather be gifted a Slim than most new razors on the market.....

Top Bottom