What's new

DE Daily Shavers, What Is Your Weapon of Choice?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Karve Brass OC Plate B (Derby Premium)
Karve Brass SB Plate B (Kai SS blade)
Timeless SS SB .68 w/scalloped head & base (Kai SS blade)

I suspect a Karve Brass SB Plate C would work well with just about any blade I have and I'm going to try and prove that theory...next year...as I'm on sabbatical this year. The fact that I have a consistently good experience with their Brass OC Plate B I take as proof that a Brass SB Plate C would probably be a better fit for me than the SB Plate B which is a good shaver, but requires the wider Kai SS blade to be effective.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I used to have only one razor, an EJ DE89, and it was my daily weapon by default. Then I joined B&B and acquired a case of Zamakaphobia and bought a Feather AS-D2. Now it is my daily weapon. I suppose I could develop a mild case of RAD and that would change, but I do not feel an imminent attack.

I tend to vacillate between a few razors (e.g. 3One6, 6S) but 2021 has mostly been all about the R41 and its variants.

It's efficient for sure and perhaps not the smoothest razor during that first pass (but it's silky smooth on subsequent passes). However, where it really shines is in the blade feel department.

This is what I call an honest razor - you know exactly where you stand with it as soon as it touches your skin and I am NEVER tempted to apply any pressure. The R41 is also utterly predictable and consistent throughout the shave which means no irritation despite its reputation.

I have a decent stable and shave daily, but 80% of the time I use a lowly 1940's era Star 3 piece with a bakelite handle and baseplate and a potmetal cap.
Sometimes I use something else just for fun, you can do this with razors, motorcycles, and guitars, but it can be dangerous with women.

The old Star works well with every blade I've tried, and I'm used to it. Delivers a great shave every time.
Razors are like any other tools, they all behave a bit differently and the best way to get the most out of any one is to use it all the time and really learn its ways.

Since I have been on this forum I have read frequent questions about which razor is the best and what works best for you etc. Often people don’t qualify their recommendations with their frequency of shaving. This does a disservice to those who prefer to shave daily and those who prefer to shave every other day or even less frequently. Since I am a daily shaver I am asking those that also shave daily to list the razors that help them enjoy shaving daily, whether their razor is SB (safety bar), open comb (OC), slant (SL) or open comb slant (SLOC). If you know the blade gap and blade exposure of your weapon of choice feel free to add that information. My hope is that those who wish to shave daily can get some ideas for the razors that will help them in that pursuit.
So since I started this I will lead off. My daily shaver weapon of choice is the Rockwell 6S. It was my first razor. I have no idea what the blade exposure is but this razor comes with three reversible SB plates with blade gaps of .20mm, .35mm, .48mm, .61mm, .69mm and .79mm. I also have two other razors that I can shave with daily. First is the Henson Razor AL13 Medium SB with a blade gap of .85 mm and a blade exposure range of +.041 to +.061 mm. The other is the Gillette Heritage razor which uses the Muhle R89 head. This SB razor has a blade gap of .76mm and I don’t know what the blade gap is. I will be receiving a Timeless SS SB .68 with a blade exposure of 0 very soon and I am very much hoping that it will be my new weapon of choice! So daily shavers, what razor is your weapon of choice?
Mine is an '80 Gillette Super Speed. No idea what the blade gap or blade exposure is but its a smooth shaver and a classic.

I use my Fatip OC with a Grande handle more than my other razors, and while I like to switch often to a different razor, if I had to use that every day, it would fit the bill, and I'd get a good shave every day.

The Yates Precision Razor Model 921-M has become my top daily shaver. Stonewashed finish, 4" handle. Has moved ahead of my Tatara, my Blackbird, and even my CG Copper L2.

I sometimes think if my SS Lupo 72 can be loaded with Gem PTFE blades, it might be the most perfect razor for me. As a daily DE razor, I feel very happy every time when I use SS Lupo 72.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I shave most every day, lest I feel like a bum.

I used to use an R41 OC daily for several years until it started biting back. Now I do what is roughly a weekly rotation of the following mild SB razors:

• Feather AS/D2
  • Oristo
  • Mamba 70
  • Hone Type 15
Later this morning, I'll start a week with the Hone loaded with a Silver Star. When that blade dulls, I'll rotate to the next razor and blade.

Top Bottom