What's new

DE Daily Deliberations

I have been wet shaving, again, for about two months. I am slowing down on my RAD, BAD, SAD...mostly... if we don't talk about brush restoration projects. I am in a position with a few choices in my daily shave rotation. I have 4 razors, 2 steady Eddie blade choices plus a fair number of sample packs, 9 soaps and a cream, 4 new brushes and 3 balms...no splashes.

This morning's shave was not what I was looking for, perhaps I was just too excited. I had anticipated a new-ish razor, Merkur 37C; a new blade, Gillette Silver Blue; a new soap, Stirling Executive Man; and a new balm, again, Executive Man.

The soap was in a new to me wooden bowl (Ebay). I blame my technique on a first try but the lather wasn't the consistency I am used to and so all the usual properties seemed below par. I used a Whipped Dog Silvertip. Again not the soap's fault. I have used the Slant razor before with good result but not with this blade. Aggressive is one word I might use but then again it was a new blade. I used very little balm and it turned my face white. Rubbing it in a second time made it disappear.

I was not pleased with the result--barely a SAS. But going after the remnants would have ended in a bloody mess. I lit up with the alum block as it is.

The most encouraging news is tomorrow morning I can shave again.

Tomorrow is another day to practice. Today I mashed several pucks of soap into wooden bowls. Then I labeled each bowl so I could tell them apart. Yes, I bought a label machine for soap. Well, wouldn't you?

German-Italian Day Amazingly, I found a bump on my chin--twice. But the great news was how great the shave was before and after that. Daily implements and lubrication include a Merkur 34C with a new Feather blade, Semogue 830, iColoniali and Executive Man balm.

My 'just breaking in' Semogue is a joy. Who knew I would fall in love with a boar brush? Not me. It picked up a fine load of soap in no time.

The soap of choice, iColoniali, wafted a glorious scent (Campagnolo and Cappuccino). I had to practice a little to get the correct consistency, more IS better. I was flat gobsmacked by the slick ease the razor kissed my face. I wasn't expecting so gentle a glide with the Feather. Yes, it is sharp? I have the towel to prove it.

A once over with the alum bar told me the shave was pretty good. The balm, Executive Man, blended in perfectly.

Half hour later I am still smelling the lingering soap scent but it isn't announcing my arrival at the Dr.'s office.

A quick hand pass to the face reveals the shave was a DFS, just short of BBS. My enjoyment was a ten.

When it all comes together. I went to the Barbershop from Stirling soap. My WD Silvertip produced prodigious amounts of rich, creamy lather. The Merkur 34C with a tame Feather, 2nd shave, sliced through all the little tiny hairs on my face. The result was without exaggeration, the smoothest ever since I starting wet shaving a couple of months ago. Definitely a DFS and bordering on BBS. I am a happy man.

Hot Towel Time I have read several posts on pre-shave prep. Many emphasized the importance of hydrating the beard for a minimum of 3 minutes.(It may be arbitrary but fairly standard.) Some say, shower first, lather the beard with shampoo or soap or both. Others mentioned nuking hot towels in the microwave. Its a treat, I tried it and loved it, but not enough to go to the trouble daily. Special occasions, maybe. The latest tweak for me is a brass 3 minute egg timer on the shelf below the mirror, about eye level. I don't have to guess or count to 60 three times, I just turn over the timer and go. ...you might say I got it pretty bad...I think about wet shaving a lot.

Found IT Here's a little something I found a couple of days ago. It is an unfinished wood box for storing lots of little stuff I have accumulated.
$October 16, 2015 35439 PM CDT.jpg

I have accumulated a few samples and will no doubt give them away freeing up space perhaps for razors, used blade banks or what have you. It fits on top of a cupboard in the bathroom and can be stained, finished or left au natural. I found it at Amazonsmile.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015LGZXMC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Another Fine Shave I used my Satin Tip, the Purest brush with Acca Kappa 1969 shave soap this morning along with my Merkur 34C with the Feather (3) blade and finished up with Pre Provence balm. I definitely liked all the tight lather from the Satin Tip with plenty for the third pass and touch up. The Acca Kappa Almond scent is light and fresh smelling. The slickness is very much appreciated as I have those areas which defy the blade until touch up. I attribute this quality soap for the slight improvement over yesterday's very close shave. I am not ready to dub it BBS but to the uninitiated I suppose it would qualify. I am learning to slow down to enjoy the whole shave without rushing. A slower shave is usually a safer shave. It is a hard transition for the guy who just months ago was Whim, Bam...where's my coffee?

Well, the shave this morning was close and perhaps a little too close. I used my Merkur 37C slant with a Gillette Silver Blue (2), My brush of choice, Whipped Dog Badger. The soap, a Martin de Candre, Fougere sample from Old Town Shaving Co. I really appreciate being able to try samples of expensive soaps. I liked the scent of the soap. I am no expert but it was fresh with a little bite not sweet at all. I am not sure whether it was the soap or the razor or my prep but I was a little irritated when all was said and done. I had some weepers and the alum bar lit me up. I am tempted to load my Merkur slant with a Feather. I really liked the Feather in my 34C.

Walk Lightly and Carry a Big Stick. I contemplated not shaving this morning-- not wanting to repeat the shave I had yesterday on my already sensitive face. Last night I watched a couple videos on avoiding razor burn and irritation. My confidence was raised by the information and I implemented three tactics. First, I made dead sure that the blade was sharp, no, the sharpest. I rounded up a new Feather and my Merkur 34C. The brush was my 'soft as badger' Semogue 830, boar, the soap, Acca Kappa, selected for its slickness. Second, I made sure I didn't skip any prep time to ensure the beard was soft and well hydrated. Third, and perhaps the most important I was acutely aware of the pressure or lack thereof when I drew the razor across my face. This also provided the biggest lesson. As I was finishing up third pass/touch up I could still 'feel beard'. I was resigned to an SAS because of my delicate condition. The alum bar was refreshing but no 'hot sting'. After three cold rinses with a towel I applied Executive Man balm. Maybe twenty minutes later I did a face check and to my surprise the shave was far smoother than I had thought. The lesson? Walk Lightly and Carry a Big Stick.

All The Same Players My intent was duplicate yesterday's shave quality. I was still remembering what happened the day before and I wanted to stay away from that experience, completely. Mission accomplished. I was going to use a cream, C.O. Bigelow, but I flicked the fibers on my Semogue and was instantly seduced by the Acca Kappa scent. I was powerless. I enjoyed the shave and believe it to be a very close facsimile to yesterday's shave for smoothness. Perhaps the C.O. Bigelow tomorrow...or i Coloniali...choices.

Viva Italia!! I bumped the C.O. Bigelow in favor of the Italian-- i Coloniali. I loaded my Whipped Dog badger. I changed to my Merkur 37C slant with a brand new Feather, arigato! (thank you). My apprehension was that the slant and Feather paired together might be face killers. I applied my learning and proceeded with a light touch...light as a ....(use you imagination). The slant and Feather performed with precision. I stayed true to the lesson and had only a minor nick as I leveled a bump left from an earlier shave. The alum was within reason but it took a little styptic to halt the open flay. Conclusion? I have stepped to a new level in my shaving experience and it feels great!! Literally.

Tea Time. Produced in America but it has an English sounding name,I opted for the C.O. Bigelow cream this morning. I went with my slant/Feather combo again since I can keep better track of my blade use when I stay with one razor. My portion from the tube was more than sufficient on my Satin Tip, synthetic. I leaned into the menthol eucalyptus scent and appreciated its cool face feel. It lathered well on my face, albeit, with a bit too much water left in the brush. It settled down quickly though and produced a wonderful rich slick lather indicative of any cream I have used. By the third pass it was a bit drier but revived nicely with a dab in the sink. I continue to get not good, but great shaves, with this set up in my razor. I found the bump but I will spare you the details. The result is consistent, DFS bordering on BBS. Balm, Pre de Provence, it is growing on me. It is not like the sweet scents I normally choose.

Soap Review. I ordered a soap and before I could use it the soap company wanted me to review it. So, that shaped my choice this morning. I loaded up my Semogue 830 with "Sharp Dressed Man" from Stirling soap. I received it along with two others from the company. All of them seem similar in their sweet scent but different in their complexity of fragrance. I enjoy all three for their unique scents and would say they all perform admirably as shave soaps. "Sharp Dressed Man" reminds me of "Executive Man" but it stands on its own for its sophisticated enigmatic bouquet. I have used it once but I really like it. On with the shave. My slant and a Feather to round out this blade at three shaves and counting. With lots of soap loaded, I face lathered, which is fairly new for me. I find that I enjoy it for the feel and for the economy of time. Love the Semogue. There was plenty of lather and a quick dab in the sink produced another ample bloom between the second and third pass. I missed the imperfections on my face and had a trouble free shave. Freshened with an alum block and properly protected with balm I assessed the closeness. Another DFS. I am really not concerned with trying to hit the elusive BBS. Especially it if means going over sensitive areas until I feel no beard only to wind up with razor burn. Stay tuned for a new toy in the den, tomorrow.

Three Minute Drill I made a small but, to me, significant change in my shave den. I added an egg timer. This ensures I will not rush my prep. A hot towel to my face for three minutes minimum. I haven't been skimping in this area but I now have a yardstick.
$20151025_085222.jpg

This morning's shave may even signal a new standard. I switched my razor to a Merkur 34C with a new Gillette Silver Blue blade. I stayed with yesterday's soap on my Whipped Dog brush and face lathered. I maintained a light touch and even made multiple passes to problem areas. NO irritation and the smoothest shave to date. This is as close to BBS as I have been. I am very satisfied with the progress this week. This was a true relaxed weekend shave. Finished with the alum and Nivea Men's Sensitive Skin balm. As fresh as fresh and clean can be.

What a Difference a Soap Can Make I tried a sample and it was both sweet and bitter. It was sweet because the shave went SO well and the fragrance was off the charts on my soap scale. It was a sample purchased in the hope I would be able to get more. But alas it was a limited edition, The Big Shave Event soap and it is no longer available in full version. I used it two days in a row face lathering with my Satin Tip synthetic. I was using my Merkur 34C and a Gillette blade. Everything was fairly controlled and yet the difference in my mind appears to be the soap. I was able to continue to go after rough spots until there were none. No red in the towel. I didn't feel the alum block at all. WOW!!! is all I can say.

Oh, Stirling! I understand! I received my 26mm Stirling synthetic brush yesterday. I learned two new definitions this morning. I learned what soft is and what big is. The size was evident coming out of the box, the softness immediately after touching my face with lather this morning. It is SO big it covered half my face. It held plenty of lather and I found myself rushing my passes so I could lather again. It was amazing. My soap was iColoniali and my Merkur slant with a Gillette Silver Blue were the other players. The star of the show, however, was clearly the brush. If you've thought about buying one, I suggest you treat yourself. You won't regret it.
In the end the shave was decent, DFS, I have come to expect that. I need to be a tad lighter with the slant, it is definitely more aggressive.

Not My Best Shave...but Truly, it was not my best shave and I take responsibility and own it. Whether bit by the 'frugal bug' or the 'lazy bug' I am not sure. I may have lost count. What I do know is that it was one shave too many on my Gillette blade. I was using my slant and thought seriously of changing to a new Feather, I should have. I know this post will be a reminder to me later not to try to push 'one more shave' out of a tired blade. If in doubt, throw it out. The soap, Stirling Barbershop, the brush, Stirling Synthetic 26mm. I again was very pleased with the soap and brush, it is a monster. It is very efficient since you don't have to move it around much to get full coverage. Painting is a breeze. There is plenty of soap after the third pass to touch up. I didn't feel compelled to press the closeness factor, so it is between SAS and DFS. The alum bar burned as it was. Pre de Provence was the balm I used.

Saturday Shave A day to put the week behind. I allowed all that happened last week to flow out and breathe deeply. The Stirling 26mm loaded with Barbershop soap transported me perfectly. I spent the time concentrating on building a quality lather. I started in a bowl and whipped up a sizable portion, hard not to do with the 26mm. I worked it in more than usual and the effect on my mood was palpable. How's that for esoteric? I slid a new Feather into the slant and proceeded. I wanted a close shave but I wasn't going to sacrifice comfort for closeness. Note to self: A Feather blade in a slant razor is more weapon than you might guess. I had a few, not many, weepers and no nicks. The shave was DFS, for sure. I felt the alum burn and continued until it went away. I reached for my Nivea balm which is my favorite to stem the effects of "The Burn". Thanks to Nick Shaves. I am reminded of what Abraham Lincoln said, "A man's about as happy as he decides to be." I am happy. I am pleased with my progress and realize not every shave has to be, "The Best Shave Ever."

Last edited:
Top Bottom