What's new

DE Convert

Hey. As of today, I'm a DE shaver convert. After 25 years of bad shaving techniques and stubble, the need was forced upon me due to my new career, where I must be clean shaven.

I have started with an Edwin Jagger DE89 and am currently working out which blade is best. Today I started with an Astra SP which were pretty smooth. I only shaved with the grain for this one. I'm coming from Gilette Mach 3 Turbo which I used to shave both with and against the grain for a reasonably close shave.

For my first DE shave, I did find the shave remarkably smooth. Much more than expected. I only copped a couple of tiny nicks on the neck and only had 2 minor issues.
  1. The shave was not as close as I'd liked. This is likely related to finding the right technique, but could it also be the blade? Should I change to something like the Feather in a few weeks once I get used to DE shaving? Or, is there another blade I could try? I bought a sample pack of 5 blades (Astra, Derby, Wilkinson, Parker & Rockwell).
  2. My neck was pretty red and irritated. Again, possibly technique. I hadn't had this issue with the Mach 3s. Any tips here?
I use Proraso balm afterward, which settled it all down. I usually shave in the shower, due to saving time in the morning.

Cheers.

Astras are a relatively sharp blade. I would chalk this up to technique. Redness on the neck was likely from too much pressure.

My first shave sucked pretty bad. I would stick with one setup for a bit. If your technique improves and you find that you still need a sharper blade, take a Feather for a spin.

Welcome to B&B.
It takes a little time to improve technique and you will find your shaves will improve so be patient. A single with the grain pass removes a lot of the stubble but with the DE, you need multiple passes to get a gradual stubble reduction for a really close shave. Nicks and razor burn are due to user error so keep a light touch, correct blade angle and let the blade do the work; it will get better. Check out the Shave Wiki, especially blade angle, for plenty of good advice; ShaveWiki | Badger & Blade and [URL='https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Blade_Angle']Blade Angle | Badger & Blade[/URL]

to be honest I wouldn't worry about a few nicks on your first shave this will be better next time as you have discovered that this is sharp . Bellow you will see a picture of my first attempt with a de second time I had no cuts or nicks due to being a bit more gentle . finding the right technique is number 1 as de shaving is totally different from your mac 3 . as for the right preasure if I could hold my razor with just my pinky that would be about right imagine if you a ice skater . they glide across the ice your dont see them dragging their feet over the ice . so try to glide .

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 14
If you're not cutting close enough think about:
- sharper blade, e.g. Feather in a milder razor
- more efficient razor

I returned to DE shaves about a year ago, and for me I needed to go more and more efficient in the razor I use. I have ended up with a Muhle R41 which I totally love. It cuts really close, even on the first pass, and I end up with a smooth face, no cuts or irritation. This requires some technique - you use very little pressure and shave slower and more carefully. But once you get that right you will have no more complaints about closeness.

When using efficient razors make your lather very sloppy - plenty of water. Face lathering is good here.

I'm only ten shaves in on a DE with a EJ DE89, I started with the Derby for six shaves the switched to an Astra. The Astra felt much smoother and sharper. I'm finding as my technique is improving the closer the shave gets. I try to do one pass on the neck with a tidy up to avoid irritation. But I think I may step it up to two passes. I also only shave every other day as my skin gets used to proper sharp blades. My perfect shave is there, its just getting it all right at the same time :D

R41 aren't they a bit viscous @les24preludes

R41 aren't they a bit viscious?

@les24preludes

It depends on which posts you read. Those who like mild razors will call the R41 "aggressive'. Those who use it would call it "efficient".

Having read posts about how "aggressive" razors like open comb Fatips were, I was put off using them for many months. Turned out to be all vapour and no substance - just a kind of urban legend. The Fatip OCs are smooth and quite efficient - quite a tame razor, and an enjoyable shave. The R41 needs a little more care. But it's all a question of very light pressure - you have to get that right. Coming from disposables and carts, you may be tempted to just drag the razor down your face. That will certainly cause trouble - it's a much more delicate technique you need. Shorter strokes, stretching the skin and sloppy lather.

I would strongly advise that you stick with the EJ DE89 and Astra SP for as long as you can resist the temptation to experiment. It's a good razor/blade combination and should give you excellent shaves once your technique is sound. It's impossible to say how long this will take, but I would reckon several weeks at the least. When you do experiment (if you feel the urge to, because it's not essential) change either your razor or your blade, not both, otherwise it will be very hard to tell what has caused any improvement or reduction in the quality of your shave.
The EJ DE89 is the razor I started out with and I quickly acquired a large number of other razors, plus hundreds of assorted blades. This was fun in one way, but I'm now certain my results would have been better had I stuck with the first set-up.

Welcome.

Do not change a thing for 60-90 days. Truly!

Please try to use less pressure; hold the razor lightly and let the weight do the work. This is all about whisker reduction. Pressure = nicks.

Mac

As you can see, you'll get different answers about the recommended level of efficiency in razors. Mac and Cumberland Sausage are saying "shave for 2 months with your existing EJ DE89 until your technique improves". This is what I did myself, only with a Gillette Tech merging into a Gillette Slim then Gillette Old Types and Fatip Grande. Nothing to be afraid of there. I guess that was about 2 months where I did get better at shaving in general.

It's only in retrospect that I wish I'd hurried up the process a bit. I then got a Rockwell 6C and realised I could shave without problems using plate 6. Then my Slim on maximum. Then on to the R41. So it's a good question whether I could have hurried this process up, and in fact I can't answer it. I do know I wish I'd got a R41 sooner, but whether or not I would have been ready for it I don't really know. I can say, however, that the R41 has many happy users as you can see from threads on it. I'm an experimenter by nature - I try things to see how they work.

Welcome aboard!

To answer your question: for now I suggest you stick with one set-up until your technique is reasonably solid. Otherwise, there will simply be too many moving parts. You have an excellent razor and many (including me) find the Astras to be excellent blades.

I would strongly advise that you stick with the EJ DE89 and Astra SP for as long as you can resist the temptation to experiment. It's a good razor/blade combination and should give you excellent shaves once your technique is sound. It's impossible to say how long this will take, but I would reckon several weeks at the least. When you do experiment (if you feel the urge to, because it's not essential) change either your razor or your blade, not both, otherwise it will be very hard to tell what has caused any improvement or reduction in the quality of your shave.
The EJ DE89 is the razor I started out with and I quickly acquired a large number of other razors, plus hundreds of assorted blades. This was fun in one way, but I'm now certain my results would have been better had I stuck with the first set-up.

Welcome to the club, Ralph. glad to have you aboard. The DE89 is an excellent razor, especially for a beginner, and the Astra blade pairs extremely well with the DE89 razor. I would recommend that you stick with that combo and pay extremely close attention to your pressure and angle. I find that a very shallow angle of the blade gives the best results.

Hey. As of today, I'm a DE shaver convert. After 25 years of bad shaving techniques and stubble, the need was forced upon me due to my new career, where I must be clean shaven.

I have started with an Edwin Jagger DE89 and am currently working out which blade is best. Today I started with an Astra SP which were pretty smooth. I only shaved with the grain for this one. I'm coming from Gilette Mach 3 Turbo which I used to shave both with and against the grain for a reasonably close shave.

For my first DE shave, I did find the shave remarkably smooth. Much more than expected. I only copped a couple of tiny nicks on the neck and only had 2 minor issues.
  1. The shave was not as close as I'd liked. This is likely related to finding the right technique, but could it also be the blade? Should I change to something like the Feather in a few weeks once I get used to DE shaving? Or, is there another blade I could try? I bought a sample pack of 5 blades (Astra, Derby, Wilkinson, Parker & Rockwell).
  2. My neck was pretty red and irritated. Again, possibly technique. I hadn't had this issue with the Mach 3s. Any tips here?
I use Proraso balm afterward, which settled it all down. I usually shave in the shower, due to saving time in the morning.

Cheers.

Co grads and welcome. That's pretty OK for your first shave and I'll say try and focus on small areas, when using a cart I used long strokes but w a DE I prefer shorter and shallow angles (yes I am still learning as I don't enjoy shallow shaving lol).

Don't fear the feather it's a wonderful blade for me at least.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Top Bottom