What's new

DE Blades difference

I’m a bit confused when it comes to blades. People talk about various blades, Stainless, Platinum, Chrome etc…but I don’t know what’s the difference between them and which types of blades are the best and most smoothest.

I put in a new blade 3 shaves ago, I don’t whether to change it or. I tend to change blades once a week.

I’m a bit confused when it comes to blades. People talk about various blades, Stainless, Platinum, Chrome etc…but I don’t know what’s the difference between them and which types of blades are the best and most smoothest.

I put in a new blade 3 shaves ago, I don’t whether to change it or. I tend to change blades once a week.

Sir Rodimus80, how often do you shave?

There are LOTS of threads about differences in blades. You might want to check them out.

The things that influence the blade brand that will work for you are the coarseness of your beard, the sensitivity of your skin, and the type of razors you use to shave.

If your beard is coarse/tough, you will need a very sharp blade.
If your skin is sensitive, you will need a smooth blade.
If you are using mild razor, you might need a sharper blade.
I you are using an aggressive razor, you might need a less sharp blade.

Because these conditions are different for every shaver, there are many different blades from which to choose and many opinions on which blade is "best".

Which blades do you currently use? Which razor or razors are you using? What is your current experience with your razor and blade?

Some shavers use a new blade for every shave. Some can use a single blade for many days, weeks or months. If the blade starts to feel dull such that it tugs when cutting your beard, it is time to change it. If the blade still feels sharp enough, but it starts to feel rough on your skin, it is time to change it.

I usually recommend that new DE shavers purchase a blade sampler pack that contains a tuck of blades from at least a dozen different brands. Those samplers often range from less sharp blades, to medium sharp blades, to very sharp blades, to the sharpest blades. You might find some blades that are just too dull for your beard. You might find some blades that are sharp enough, but not smooth enough. You might find some blades that are perfect for you at this time. You might find some blades that are too sharp for you now, but might not be later as your shaving technique improves. Once you determine which type of blades work for you, ask for advice on other brands of blades that might have similar characteristics.

You cannot always go by blade construction. For example, there are platinum coated blades that I love, but there are platinum coated blades that do not work for me. There are some stainless plus polymer coated blades that I love, but others I hate. The way the blades are sharpened and polished is just as important as the blade construction.

Top Bottom