What's new

DE blade wax spots

So my favorite de blade is a Personna Lab Blue. I have found that this particular brand is remarkably affordable and gives me upwards of 10 shaves per blade. No small feat as most blades are dulled by my beard in one or two shaves. As a consequence I invested in a large sum of these blades, around 500, simply because I found them for even cheaper than usual. I have found recently though that the blade is quite loose in the packaging and if one were to shake it, even gently, the blade moves back and forth. It is only now that I realize that glue spots might be for the best. As whether in transit or otherwise the blade could potentially be damaged. Has anyone had their glue/waxless blades lose sharpness noticeably due to this? I have quite a few blades to get through and while it would hardly be the most insurmountable problem I've ever faced I'd be quite bummed if my favorite blade of all time had to be foregone simply because they neglect the glue spots.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Pretty sure they were founded in the early 1900’s as American Safety Razor Company. They been around over 100 years making razor blades. I highly doubt they would forego the wax if they thought their blades would dull in the wrapper. Their blades are used in hospitals across the globe every day.

Don’t worry about it.

Nope. A blade having glue spots or being glue free doesn’t even cross my mind when making a buying decision. Glue CAN be a bit messy but my blades without (and with) glue spots are stored in a cabinet that rarely opens. I have no concerns with them being dulled by rubbing on the packaging.

I have found recently though that the blade is quite loose in the packaging and if one were to shake it, even gently, the blade moves back and forth. It is only now that I realize that glue spots might be for the best. As whether in transit or otherwise the blade could potentially be damaged. Has anyone had their glue/waxless blades lose sharpness noticeably due to this?
No.

Several of my razors are of the new CNC machined variety, with heads that clamp blades very accurately. Load a generously wax dotted blade into one of those and (apart from being dangerous) they can be an absolute swine to remove.

I have many excellent wax dotted blades, but currently give them a miss due to the problem above and their general messiness. I find that in one five (or ten) pack, one blade can have excellent tiny dots, and the next one can have so much wax that the blade edges are covered too. Feather has been the worst in my experience, but Gillette give them a good run for their money.

My current (non-waxed) favorites are:
  1. Personna Red (i.e. Personna Platinum Chrome made in Israel) The latest Personna Platinum Chromes are made in Germany and have wax dots, so I've stocked up on the original Reds.
  2. BiC Chrome Platinum (Greece)
  3. Silver Star (Lord, Egypt)

When choosing my favorite go-to blade, the final deciding factor was one of them had no glue/wax, heh. It was between the Polsilver Super Iridium and Kai. Both shaved flawlessly for me in my razors, so I leaned towards the one that doesn't make me clean my razors as frequently. Haven't seen any evidence edge damage in ~8 years.

On that note, I give all my (waxed) blades a hot - really hot - water rinse on both sides before inserting them in the razor, for the problems described above - and the wax is a PITA to remove from a razor cap or base. The hot water does seem to reduce the waxy mess that needs cleanup following shaving.

To answer your question, no. Wax dots are a problem if there’s too much on a blade & it transfers to the base plate &/or camp.

No.

Several of my razors are of the new CNC machined variety, with heads that clamp blades very accurately. Load a generously wax dotted blade into one of those and (apart from being dangerous) they can be an absolute swine to remove.

I have many excellent wax dotted blades, but currently give them a miss due to the problem above and their general messiness. I find that in one five (or ten) pack, one blade can have excellent tiny dots, and the next one can have so much wax that the blade edges are covered too. Feather has been the worst in my experience, but Gillette give them a good run for their money.

My current (non-waxed) favorites are:
  1. Personna Red (i.e. Personna Platinum Chrome made in Israel) The latest Personna Platinum Chromes are made in Germany and have wax dots, so I've stocked up on the original Reds.
  2. BiC Chrome Platinum (Greece)
  3. Silver Star (Lord, Egypt)

I have had an issue where I liked the blades but hated the wax. Previously I would scrape the wax off with a tissue and my thumbnail carefully avoiding the edge.

Several months ago after realizing that the best way to remove candle wax residue in candlesticks was with boiling or close to boiling water, I pondered the same thing with the razor blade wax dots. A tea kettle works well to pour the hot water over the blade. I hold the blade by the short end and let the hot water do the work. I usually do four pours. The last two catch the residual wax that may have come through the long slot.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don't mind the wax. I think it helps keep the blade from dulling. Every time a tractor trailer shakes your house those blades move around. If you don't believe me, put some stuff in a mason jar and notice the shifting that occurs to the contents.

Yeah, I need another hobby, lol.

Top Bottom