What's new

DE blade sharpening trick, "stolen" from an Amazon review.

+1! Precisely! To me the cost/blade is not worth the risk of the extra handling, cuts, etc.

I have thought about resharpening DE blades, but not to save money as I am convinced that I would end up spending more than I could ever save on the project. Only as a challenge.

What are you guys talking about? If all those folks getting 50+ shaves off of one blade could get 75+ they would be in heaven. Though I'm not sure sharpness is a concern at that point.

Just to give the proper credit
The idea must be nearly as old as Gillette's patent on DE blades itself. ;)

In 1933 this theory had been de-mystified by scientific research presented in an article of "Everyday Science and Mechanics", which I better include right here than linking to it.

Delusions About Shaving (Jan, 1933)

p.1- Delusions_about_shaving_Jan-1933_0.jpg _ p.2-Delusions_about_shaving_Jan-1933_1.jpg _ p.3- Delusions_about_shaving_Jan-1933_2.jpg

I use a Lillicrap style glass hone to smooth out some blades' feel. Mostly though on Gem single edge blades which to me are rough enough to cut me up until I glass hone them. Then they work great for me. A few swipes in each direction and they're good to go. Smooth as any blade.

Everyone knows a pyramid is the only proper blade sharpening system, 100% fool(proof)! Even the Egyptians knew this.

upload_2017-8-2_10-47-7.jpeg

Everyone knows a pyramid is the only proper blade sharpening system
That's for beginners.
Covering you head at night with a pyramid will take your stubbles off without shaving - but it takes out of the equation the fun of shaving, which is the reason why nobody uses this method.

Pyramid Power...Red Kelly approves.
It's a mark of personal shame that I denim stropped several Mach 3 cartridges for well over a year. They worked. I think. I wish I could purge that part of my shaving life from my memory.
Glass stropping...like others have asked, "why"?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Why not strop if it improves the Shave if that is what your after!
Don't strop if you find it not worth the effort- I have been stropping a disposable Gillette pro glide for almost 2 months and it seems to work with denim( I have not received my SE razor yet-newbie). I'm just experimenting after seeing it on youtube and was curious and I can go on tangents with this sort of thing. I bought a Loupe (my eyes are not that good!) to see if it helps and the results are positive- so no doubt it will help your blade a little. Stropping only straightens the small curls of the blade edge unless you use a cutting compound like chromium oxide-diamond....)The cost of a SE blade is so cheap it does make a person wonder! Stropping over time might damage the finish(pentene) of a razor safety edge also- because you want to leave the blade in the razor if I was stropping it.

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Interesting concept and interesting article debunking it. I only shave 4 times a week so new blades set me back between $.32 (Astra) and $.92 (Feather). I'm a one and done guy...

Top Bottom