What's new

DE blade disposal and changing

Since I cut myself pretty good changing the blade on my Gillette three piece I thought I would ask:

1. When you change the blade do you envelope it in a hand towel or tissue or just grab it?

2. I am beginning to be more attracted to my newer TTO Gillette. Twist it open and drop the blade in the garbage - done and no handling.

3. Lastly, do you guys dispose of the blade into a protective jar or can so it won't be accidently handled or do you just drop it loose into the garbage?

Thanks for your ideas.

Since I cut myself pretty good changing the blade on my Gillette three piece I thought I would ask:

1. When you change the blade do you envelope it in a hand towel or tissue or just grab it?

2. I am beginning to be more attracted to my newer TTO Gillette. Twist it open and drop the blade in the garbage - done and no handling.

3. Lastly, do you guys dispose of the blade into a protective jar or can so it won't be accidently handled or do you just drop it loose into the garbage?

Thanks for your ideas.

1. Lay it on a towel.

2. They are safer. The TTO open combs are the best razors Gillette ever designed.

3. I put all old blades in an empty Altoids tin. When the tin is full I flatten it with a sledgehammer and place in recycling bin. I NEVER place used blades in the garbage.

I let the head rest upside down on a towel. The only thing I hold is the handle. The towel holds the head.

1. I have a Merkur Futur, which I thumb flick one edge after the other with the head up, then turn it over into my hand. The blade can then be easily removed.
I also have a Merkur Vision that I unscrew completely, then turn upside down in my palm, leaving the blade there.
I also have a Merkur 39c slant two-piece that I hold upside down, unscrewing it with the bottom screw, holding the handle, ending up with the head and blade in my palm.

I don't particularly fancy the three-piece design, but soon I'll have my new Feather stainless to fiddle with.

2. Yep. Like my Vision.

3. I will get a container of some type, when my blades need replacing. I will NOT just chuck them in the bin.

:eek:)
Perkus

Hold head of razor by the blade tabs. Unscrew handle from the head. Lay head onto sink, or towel. Life base plate off. Grab blade by blade tabs once more, and remove.

3. Lastly, do you guys dispose of the blade into a protective jar or can so it won't be accidentally handled or do you just drop it loose into the garbage?

Placing loose blades into the garbage is a world of bad. Your garbage man doesn't want sliced up hands either.

I place mine into a blade bank, which I have stored in my shaving cabinet. When full I will seal it, and pitch it into the garbage.

Thanks for your ideas.

1. I just pick the blade up, I have a two piece Merker HD so I can unscrew it holding just the handle.

2. TTO is nice but I still pick the blade out of it.

3. I put the blade in a tin piggy bank I got from the dollar store. Its gonna hold a tonne of blades.

Placing loose blades into the garbage is a world of bad. Your garbage man doesn't want sliced up hands either.

Our cans are picked up by the truck and emptied so the workers never really touch anything. What I worry about is someone in the house looking for something that may have been accidentally thrown away or dropped in a garbage can.

For blade disposal I just started using an empty garlic powder bottle. You know how the lid flips and on one side are the little holes and on the other there is the wide opening? I just flip the top and drop the blade in. When it is full I will wrap some duct tape around the cap to keep it on tight and pitch it. Now that I'm thinking about it, an empty Kraft parmesan cheese bottle with the same type of lid would hold hundreds of old blades.

No kids in our house, so the blades go straight into the recycling.
Once the can is on the street, no human hands will ever touch it again, that whole process is safe and automated.

1. Have changed blades from both a 3-piece and a tto. The TTO is definitely easier, screw open the barn doors and you've got clear access to pick up the blade by the two dull ends. The 3-piece is not bad either. Hold the head by the smaller ends (dull part of the blade) to unscrew the handle, lay the head down and pull apart.

2. Don't let disposal be your primary consideration for razor design. Pay attention any time you're handling a blade. I've come the closest to cutting myself getting them out of the wrapper before use than at any other time.

3. Went to Walgreens and asked to buy their largest pill bottle. (they gave me one this time but have sold me ones before for extremely cheap) Cut a slot in the top so that a blade can drop in. It's child proof, I can see the contents, and when full I will tape up the lid with duct tape and throw it away. We don't have recycling here. There is a full thread somewhere on here about blade banks. If you must throw one in the garbage, tear off a pice of duct tape, lay the blade down flat and fold the duct tape over. This shold be sufficient to keep anyone from getting cut.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Our cans are picked up by the truck and emptied so the workers never really touch anything.

I used to put my blades in an empty pop can and toss into the recycling bin but the recycling plant has workers that physically separate the garbage and I worry about them getting injured so I now wrap a used blade in a layer or two a masking tape and toss into the regular trash. I also handle the blade by the tabs and keep my fingers away from the edges.

Thanks for your ideas.

1. I just grab it, but i make sure i'm cencentrating on what i'm doing, if there is a distraction i stop immediately. I had a bad experience with a razor blade when i was younger so i give my full respect/attention.

2. Up to you.

3. I use a SHARPS container, one of those red plastic containers you see in bathrooms and doctors offices for used needles. Sure its kind of big, so its best put in a cabinet under the sink or out of sight. They are always being given away free, search for "free sharps container" on google.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
This is what I use for a Blade (disposal), Bank - $1 each; :thumbup1:

http://www.shaveplace.com/Double-Edge-Razor-Blade-Bank-p/bld-bank.htm

Recycle? Naw. Toss / discard it when filled? Yeah!!! :thumbsup:

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:
I used to put my blades in an empty pop can and toss into the recycling bin but the recycling plant has workers that physically separate the garbage and I worry about them getting injured so I now wrap a used blade in a layer or two a masking tape and toss into the regular trash. I also handle the blade by the tabs and keep my fingers away from the edges.

Good point. If there's a chance someone will be handling the material I think we owe it to them to secure anything that could be dangerous. That's why when the Altoids tin is full I flatten it with a sledgehammer. Pretty much forms it into a solid mass of metal. Flattening the soda can would probably do the same thing.

1. When you change the blade... - I press the head of the razor flat into the palm of my hand. After unscrewing the handle, I lift off the base plate, then lift out the blade by the ends. Reverse this for installing the new blade.

3. Lastly, do you guys dispose of the blade... - I slip the used blade into the back of the blade package.

No kids in our house, so the blades go straight into the recycling.
Once the can is on the street, no human hands will ever touch it again, that whole process is safe and automated.

Not quite true. When the recycling truck unloads at the recycling center, it is quite possible that humans sort the load into different types of material - plastics here, aluminum there, glass into another area, bi-metals into another.

Some kind of blade bank is the safest way to go, IMHO.

Top Bottom