What's new

DE blade disposal and changing

I use the non-sharp ends of the blade. Never have cut myself. It's even easier with an SE blade.

For a blade bank, I have a small metal can of tomato sauce that I drained and cut a small slot into. I've been using that for at least a year and I don't think it's even half full yet.

N

NoelyDeezNutz

I use the blade disposal system in my house... The walls.

We redid our downstairs bathroom, and I made a specific request to find a medicine cabinet that HAD a slot for used blades...

Let the next person who lives here in 75 years worry about it... lol

We redid our downstairs bathroom, and I made a specific request to find a medicine cabinet that HAD a slot for used blades...

Do you mean they just fall down behind your Sheetrock?

Do you mean they just fall down behind your Sheetrock?

Yep, that's what he means. If you ever remodel an old house, watch out for those bathroom walls, they may have a pile of blades in them.

I use one of these cans for my blades - fits into my medicine cabinet, and will last me for many years. I got mine from Dollar Tree for a buck, and the cookies were good.

Just ordered a blade bank from Em's Place for $1.00. As long as they were sending me something I bought a plastic travel container for my brush too.

Not quite true. When the recycling truck unloads at the recycling center, it is quite possible that humans sort the load into different types of material - plastics here, aluminum there, glass into another area, bi-metals into another.

Some kind of blade bank is the safest way to go, IMHO.

I would check with the local recycling center to see about their policy. We pre-sort our recycling, and workers use some pretty tough gloves if they have to deal with the stuff. So I would get an OK and the preferred policy before recycling. I'd rather do that than have them in a landfill.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I actually just cut a slot into my existing medicine cabinet two days ago with a reciprocal saw. Working on trying to dull a Gillette green blade on my face right now so I can try out my new slot. I hope the blade will drop past the insulation inside the wall?

Most medicine cabinets have 4 screws either in the sides or on the back wall of the cabinet that hold them in place.... unload your cabinet and take the shelves out.... take out the 4 screws and then check around the outside of the cabinet where it contacts the wall to see if it was caulked, if it was then use a SE blade to cut the caulking to separate the cabinet from the wall. Once you have done this you should be able to remove the cabinet from the wall.

Now that the cabinet is removed you can either replace it with one of the old style cabinets with the slot or put a slot in the one you have. Be sure to cut a slot that slants down so the blades will have room to go in.

While you have the cabinet out look into the wall to see if there is any insulation below the cabinet where the blades would fall. if there is then you will need to pull this out... Be sure to check if there are any electrical lines in the wall below the cabinet that might be cut by falling blades.... if there is this is very simple to remedy. get a few of the plastic report covers and drape them over the wires like a tent.

When all that is done simply reverse the cabinet removal procedure to install it and you are done. :thumbup:

This is what I use for a Blade (sidposal), Bank - $1 each; :thumbup1:

http://www.shaveplace.com/Double-Edge-Razor-Blade-Bank-p/bld-bank.htm

Recycle? Naw. Toss / discard it when filled? Yeah!!! :thumbsup:

Christopher
proxy.php

I bought one of these for a buck and really like it.

When it's full I will drop it off at a shares recycling center and buy another.

Hold head of razor by the blade tabs. Unscrew handle from the head. Lay head onto sink, or towel. Life base plate off. Grab blade by blade tabs once more, and remove.

Placing loose blades into the garbage is a world of bad. Your garbage man doesn't want sliced up hands either.

I place mine into a blade bank, which I have stored in my shaving cabinet. When full I will seal it, and pitch it into the garbage.

This is exactly how I do it. The next time you order blades, purchase a blade bank for $1 (I think most of the vendors around here sell them). Even though a truck picks up the garbage can, we don't know what happens down the line. People at the facility, seagulls in the trash heap, etc. It's just a good idea to try and dispose of them safely.

Not quite true. When the recycling truck unloads at the recycling center, it is quite possible that humans sort the load into different types of material

But not with their bare hands! At the very least, they have a full range of safety gear on - considering the tin can lids and broken bottles they're deal with the odd razor blade is a pretty small deal. Anyways, odds are the metals are sorted out by electromagnet first.

Instead of throwing them away you could use them to heat up the water for you scuttle.
proxy.php

proxy.php

You can also briskly stir the water while it is being heated so that the sharp edges soften the water by slicing through the molecules. :tongue_sm

Blade disposal - I use the slot in the back of the medicine cabinet. And don't tell me anything about the guy remodeling the bathroom because that ain't gonna happen here.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Most medicine cabinets have 4 screws either in the sides or on the back wall of the cabinet that hold them in place.... unload your cabinet and take the shelves out.... take out the 4 screws and then check around the outside of the cabinet where it contacts the wall to see if it was caulked, if it was then use a SE blade to cut the caulking to separate the cabinet from the wall. Once you have done this you should be able to remove the cabinet from the wall.

Now that the cabinet is removed you can either replace it with one of the old style cabinets with the slot or put a slot in the one you have. Be sure to cut a slot that slants down so the blades will have room to go in.

While you have the cabinet out look into the wall to see if there is any insulation below the cabinet where the blades would fall. if there is then you will need to pull this out... Be sure to check if there are any electrical lines in the wall below the cabinet that might be cut by falling blades.... if there is this is very simple to remedy. get a few of the plastic report covers and drape them over the wires like a tent.

When all that is done simply reverse the cabinet removal procedure to install it and you are done. :thumbup:
Thanks for the info Blue58! :)

i cut myself the other day pretty good to.

i had my tin can with the slit in the top for my old blades under the sink and instead of getting it out in the light i decided to be lazy and feel around while dropping the blade in..well needless to say i put my finger on the sides there to drop it in and it didnt go in a split second i decided to push a little..well the blade didnt move but my finger did..right across the very tip of the blade which is the sharpest point. it bit the heck out of me.

i cut myself the other day pretty good to.

i had my tin can with the slit in the top for my old blades under the sink and instead of getting it out in the light i decided to be lazy and feel around while dropping the blade in..well needless to say i put my finger on the sides there to drop it in and it didnt go in a split second i decided to push a little..well the blade didnt move but my finger did..right across the very tip of the blade which is the sharpest point. it bit the heck out of me.

Remember - We all keep telling you "No pressure."

I open up my razor and allow it to either fall onto or tap onto if need be the counter. I place my index finger on in so that as I slide it to the edge of the countertop, my thumb grabs the underside. This of course is done with the dull short end. I then place it into a slit in my medicine cabinet and allow it to fall into the wall.

Many older medicine cabinets have the slit built right in. Mine on the other hand required a little modification.

Top Bottom