What's new

DE agressiveness email I received

Anyone with a decent skill set should be able to use any razor and achieve the shave they desire even with men shaving a couple of times per week.

Maybe, with enough effort. But it's a heck of a lot easier to get there with a razor well suited to one's face. And honestly, there are some razors I don't think I could have ever gotten a good shave with even though I believe myself to have grown quite adept with a DE.

Years ago, in the straights forum, when I was inquiring as to the why's and wherefores of that manly art, I mentioned that I was shaving daily with a Futur set to 6. The overwhelming response was that anyone who can shave daily with a Futur set to 6 can shave with anything -- even a shard of flint or broken glass. Hyperbole obviously but you get the point. I shave with the most aggressive razors with ease. Most mild shavers, with enough effort, can be beaten into submission against the shoals of my wiry beard. But some are just not up to the challenge.

Maybe, with enough effort. But it's a heck of a lot easier to get there with a razor well suited to one's face. And honestly, there are some razors I don't think I could have ever gotten a good shave with even though I believe myself to have grown quite adept with a DE.

Years ago, in the straights forum, when I was inquiring as to the why's and wherefores of that manly art, I mentioned that I was shaving daily with a Futur set to 6. The overwhelming response was that anyone who can shave daily with a Futur set to 6 can shave with anything -- even a shard of flint or broken glass. Hyperbole obviously but you get the point. I shave with the most aggressive razors with ease. Most mild shavers, with enough effort, can be beaten into submission against the shoals of my wiry beard. But some are just not up to the challenge.

For me, no more effort, but I do shave everyday.

That's the difference, you eyesight is better than mine.....LOL!!:eek2:
Heck no! Just feel it with my hand. That's how I check the quality of the shave. If I'm being fanatical, I'll pull out a cotton ball. But that's typically just if I'm doing a shave-off or otherwise putting a razor through its paces to understand what it can accomplish.

Heck no! Just feel it with my hand. That's how I check the quality of the shave. If I'm being fanatical, I'll pull out a cotton ball. But that's typically just if I'm doing a shave-off or otherwise putting a razor through its paces to understand what it can accomplish.

Rotflmao.....cotton ball !!!!:jump:

I don't agree with the blade angle illustration. To me, that's handle angle -- the blade cutting angle usually isn't the same.
You are correct that the blade angle and the handle angle are not equivalent. However, the handle angle shown in the illustration is the "neutral" angle, that is the shaving angle in which you will neither be riding the cap or riding the guard, or you will be riding both with equal pressure in the case of a blade with negative exposure. If the head of the razor is designed properly with respect to the way the DE blade is held and curved, the neutral angle is the angle at which the razor was designed to be used. However, a specific individual may achieve better results with a shave angle slightly more or less than neutral.
The only complaint that I would have is about the diagrams being vague or wrong.
And the nonsense about OC razors.
+1 to all three above.

THIS DIAGRAM IS WRONG
upload_2019-4-12_21-10-20.png

WHEREAS OUR GOOD OL' B&B SHAVEWIKI DIAGRAM IS CORRECT
full

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for taking the time to post the info.

I agree with BigJ. He summed it up perfectly.

IMO this is good ‘introduction’ to a complex subject!

As a generalization, and a light one at that, the info they provided gives a basic understanding but its much more complex than they state. This has been a hotly debated and discussed subject on B&B for as long as I've been a member here. :angel:

I believe there are 'aggressive' razors but its more common to use a razor more aggressively than one should which may make one believe its a more aggressive razor than it is.

Aggressiveness is also mistaken for efficiency, but they are very different aspects of even the same razor.

There is much to read around the forum on all aspects related to razor design and geometry with regard to each individual aspect of blade reveal, blade exposure, blade gap, blade angle, et al.

One thing they did not mention however, and what I consider makes a razor more or less 'aggressive' is how much baseplate support the design lends the blade. DE blades are very thin and very flexible. For me personally, the more baseplate support a razor has, the smoother and more comfortable a shave it will give. Conversely, the more baseplate support offered by a razors design, the less 'aggressive' the shave will be because the blade is held in a more static state and less prone to flex.

The quote below is from the Chris Kirchen reddit AMA. The designer and maker of the Karve razor.

"The geometry came from a bunch of research to familiarize myself with how razors are configured and then creating analogies between how a blade is configured and real world applications. The one I'm most proud of (because I saw an immediate improvement), was to support the blade as much as possible as a way of eliminating chatter). All razors support the blade on the top side with the top cap, but chatter comes from cyclical loading...force, no force, force, no force, etc. The unloading comes from loading the blade during cutting, but then something gives (such as the whisker that is being cut) and the blade unloads for a split second. The top cap can only help with the loading, so the baseplate has to work together with it."

If you have an interest in the subject, a quick search of the word 'rigid' will yield much to read.

I liked the article for the point that I quickly have a better understanding of what you guys are talking about when describing razors. That is why I posted it not as a definitive article on razors but just as a quick introduction so people can understand what you guys are saying.

There is an element of machismo in using/needing/ being able to uan aggressive razor.

I meant to respond and forgot. I've never used a Futur, but I do use a straight and a shavette. If shaving with the Futur means you shave with the blade and the holder does not come in contact with your skin, as you would with a shavette, I can understand the response from the forum.

Did you stop using the Futur?

There is an element of machismo in using/needing/ being able to uan aggressive razor.

I meant to respond and forgot. I've never used a Futur, but I do use a straight and a shavette. If shaving with the Futur means you shave with the blade and the holder does not come in contact with your skin, as you would with a shavette, I can understand the response from the forum.

Did you stop using the Futur?
Yeah, when I came back here some months ago the Futur went in a drawer and it's sat there ever since. I have a stable of around 15 aggressive razors I've been using of late. The Mark Cross -- which can be set up to be aggressive or mild -- is my latest fascination.

Yeah, when I came back here some months ago the Futur went in a drawer and it's sat there ever since. I have a stable of around 15 aggressive razors I've been using of late. The Mark Cross -- which can be set up to be aggressive or mild -- is my latest fascination.

Congratulations on the Mark Cross. :a29:

Top Bottom