What's new

Day Hike in the GTM Reserve

I'm a teacher, and I have a tradition of going on a solo backpacking trip right after school lets out for the year. With all the craziness in the world now, traveling somewhere to backpack didn't seem the best idea (with stopping for gas, food, potentially a hotel, etc.). Instead, I did a day hike locally. Went down to the Guana-Tolomato-Matanzas Reserve and put together a 6 mile loop on their trails. Below are the captions/descriptions for each picture.

1. Along the trail. Pretty much a standard Florida trail - flat and sandy.
2. This is the halfway point. Looks over the Tolomato River. Stopped here for a snack, some water, and hung out in the river for a while. (@Ad Astra I forgot my hammock. Forgive me - I'll watch three Shug videos as penance.)
3. Looking back from the beach.
4. I just liked the curves on this tree.

All in all, a perfect day for a hike - temps in the mid 80s, somewhat overcast, low humidity.
1. gtm1.jpg
2. gtm2.jpg
3. gtm3.jpg
4. gtm4.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm a teacher, and I have a tradition of going on a solo backpacking trip right after school lets out for the year. With all the craziness in the world now, traveling somewhere to backpack didn't seem the best idea (with stopping for gas, food, potentially a hotel, etc.). Instead, I did a day hike locally. Went down to the Guana-Tolomato-Matanzas Reserve and put together a 6 mile loop on their trails. Below are the captions/descriptions for each picture.

1. Along the trail. Pretty much a standard Florida trail - flat and sandy.
2. This is the halfway point. Looks over the Tolomato River. Stopped here for a snack, some water, and hung out in the river for a while. (@Ad Astra I forgot my hammock. Forgive me - I'll watch three Shug videos as penance.)
3. Looking back from the beach.
4. I just liked the curves on this tree.

All in all, a perfect day for a hike - temps in the mid 80s, somewhat overcast, low humidity.
1. View attachment 1108735
2. View attachment 1108740
3. View attachment 1108742
4. View attachment 1108745

No hammock? Nowhere bug-free to sit? And in the middle of redbug/chigger season?

Looks nice!

AA

No hammock? Nowhere bug-free to sit? And in the middle of redbug/chigger season?

Looks nice!

AA

There were surprisingly few bugs! I didn't even need to use bug dope. There was a picnic table, but my hammock would have been so much better.

Top Bottom