What's new

Day 6 with a GEM

So, today I shaved with the 1912 and the same blade I started with six days ago. I lathered with TOBS Lemon & Lime today. After three passes I know have a smooth, irritation free, BBS. So far the GEM stainless blade has performed very well. I am going to keep using this combination of blade and razor for one more day and then switch to the push button Micromatic on Sunday with the same blade. I want to see if I can get at least 14 shaves from one blade like I do with my Schicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't gotten the mmoc or clog pruf to work for me yet, granted I haven't tried to long in either. I love my 1912's though, and did the one month challenge plus with my PAA starling. The blades seem to last for me. Good luck. My best shaver seems to be the Ever ready 1912.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It's doable IMO, I have gotten 13 shaves on a Gem SS PTFE blade and it still had life in it.

I picked up some CVS blades. Decided to retire the one I have been using after 6 shaves.

The goal, for me, is to retire a blade BEFORE I have a bad shave. ;)

Thanks for the info and I have to say that I am very surprised that there are not more people praising the SE system.

I use a 1912 and the GEM PTFE blades and I can say that if people use different blades (I originally used Treets) they would indeed get a terrible result.

As is known, the 1912 is an open comb razor and it shaves mighty close.
For me though it does so without cuts or burns and each blade just keeps on keeping on.
I end up changing the blade after 2-3 weeks just so I can clean the razor.

The only thing I can think of that leads to it's unpopularity is that the early users (i.e. decades ago) had to use inferior blades and therefore the system did not catch on.

Because of the lack of variety though I think a lot of people may not like it as they can't tweak the razor/blade combination.

I do go back to a DE system every now and then but, for a simple system that basically has only a few razors and one blade, I have found it a revelation.

Why do you think the SE system is not as popular as the DE.

Thanks for the info and I have to say that I am very surprised that there are not more people praising the SE system.

I use a 1912 and the GEM PTFE blades and I can say that if people use different blades (I originally used Treets) they would indeed get a terrible result.

As is known, the 1912 is an open comb razor and it shaves mighty close.
For me though it does so without cuts or burns and each blade just keeps on keeping on.
I end up changing the blade after 2-3 weeks just so I can clean the razor.

The only thing I can think of that leads to it's unpopularity is that the early users (i.e. decades ago) had to use inferior blades and therefore the system did not catch on.

Because of the lack of variety though I think a lot of people may not like it as they can't tweak the razor/blade combination.

I do go back to a DE system every now and then but, for a simple system that basically has only a few razors and one blade, I have found it a revelation.

Why do you think the SE system is not as popular as the DE.

Well, my Grandfather used a straight razor, which I own, my Father used a Schick J-1, which I own, and I started shaving with a Schick L-1, which I no longer own but I do own a duplicate. I switched to cartridges in college in the 80’s, and went back to SE’s about 10 years ago. I own a few DEs too, a 1961 birth year Slim, a ball end Tech, a 1957 Flare-tip Superspeed, a Schick Krona, a travel Tech, a couple of Baili’s and A Gillette Heritage reissue. I also have couple of Harry’s razors, a Schick Hydro 3 and a Gillette Fusion.

I have always used a mug and a brush or Barbasol canned goo.

I really believe that the dominance of DE razors comes down to marketing and availability. Gillette, even today, dominates in advertising. How often do you see a Schick, Bic, or Personna ad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GEM blades seem to easily make 10 or so shaves, with every shave seeming smoother than the last. I only pull them out after save 10 or 11, when I find myself going over the same area multiple times, to get that nice smooth BBS feeling. - Oddly, they last about the same amount of time in either my Micromatic Bullet Tip, or my OneBlade (Modified to properly seat).

My Schick Adjustable as a Twin blade with a good 15, possible 20 shaves on it (lost count), and still going strong.

Keep in mind that's my wiry, stiff, graying growth, so your mileage may vary, given those stiff gray hairs are more difficult to cut.

Top Bottom