What's new

Day 5: Put It Together the Right Way, Stupid

Well, I guess this is all about a learning experience. Today I was going to use Proraso green tub after 3 days with Cella (enjoyed it). After my shower and while my Omega 49 was soaking, I took apart my EJ89 Kelvin and put in the Rapira stainless blade from yesterday and proceeded to screw it together (or should I say "screw it up")? I got a good lather going and was enjoying the menthol rush. Took my first stroke, and then another... they were really smooth and no drag (but there was no sound either... curious). I look at where I had just shaved, and there were all these little hairs still there (stubble)? I looked at the edges of the blade and the edges were even on both sides, but the amount sticking out seemed pretty minimal. I guessed that I didn't have it in right, so I unscrewed, replaced and screwed it (up) again. Still all this "stubble", so I figured it must be a defective Rapira. Took it out, unwraped a fresh one, re-lathered, and voila... same thing. Looked a the razor again and figured this can't be right.
You probably guessed that I had the base plate in upside down. It's a good thing that this kind of error resulted in too little, not too much blade being exposed. This time I got it right and was able to do 3 passes while actually cutting off my beard. Apart from the super-mentholation resulting from the extended contact time with the Proraso (actually very invigorating), no harm done. Now I know to check that the comb on the base plate has to face up, not down. I read a lot of tutorials, but I guess this is just too obvious.
Anyway, you learn something new everyday (doh)!

Top Bottom