What's new

Dawn Wells--RIP

when I was a kid, the question was Mary Ann or Ginger. When I was in my 20's, it became Jennifer or Bailey? I'm the guy who picked Bailey and Mary Ann. Very sad to learn of her passing.
You're not alone in those choices.

I've noticed that the "either-or" pairs in these discussions are always confined either to one show or to a particular genre, i.e., Mary Ann vs. Ginger, or Morticia Addams vs. Lily Munster, or Samantha Stephens vs. Jeannie the genie. Nobody compares Samantha to Agent 99, or Jeannie to Bailey. Why is that?

Last edited:
I'll be so glad when we can look at 2020 in the rearview. Mary Ann was definitely sexier than Ginger. I'm not tracking on Bailey vs. Jennifer, though. Who are they?

Also: Velma, hands down.
WKRP in Cincinnati, the sitcom set in a Top 40 radio station in Ohio, ca. 1978-80:

The lady on the left is "Jennifer," the station's glamorous receptionist. The one on the right is "Bailey," who was the traffic manager for the station. (Pay no attention to the guy with the beard. Important as he was to the show, he has no relation to this discussion!)

WKRP in Cincinnati, the sitcom set in a Top 40 radio station in Ohio, ca. 1978-80:

The lady on the left is "Jennifer," the station's glamorous receptionist. The one on the right is "Bailey," who was the traffic manager for the station. (Pay no attention to the guy with the beard. Important as he was to the show, he has no relation to this discussion!)

Yes, definitely, Bailey, please! She just seems so much more authentic and real!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've noticed that the "either-or" pairs in these discussions are always confined either to one show ... Why is that?

I suspect because we see an imaginary world presented to us, we imagine ourselves in that world, and decide how we would act there. If I were on Gilligan's Island, it would be a choice between Ginger and Marry Ann ... Agent 99 wouldn't be an available option. And usually in those shows, the two "option girls" are presented as two different stereotypes that encourages at least a preference if not an actual "pick".

Here's one: Ellie Walker or Helen Crump?

And another: Fräulein Helga or Fräulein Hilda?

Ellie Walker! I had a TV crush on Elinor Donahue since seeing her on Father Knows Best.

The other - Hilda? I'm not familiar enough with both to make an informed choice.

Re: Dawn Wells, I have a friend who met her and talked with her at a classic horror film conference in 2011. He said that she was a very nice, classy, humble and unassuming lady. I was sorry to hear of her passing.

Last edited:
we imagine ourselves in that world, and decide how we would act there

Just so. And, at least for me, is is easy enough for me to imagine being The Professor.

I mean, if I had a dollar for every time I have been in a situation equivalent to a deserted island, where I was obviously the most "eligible," best-looking man there, and I essentially had my choice of two beautiful women . . . well, I wouldn't have any money, but I'm just saying . . . .

shavefan

I’m not a fan
In that case, the answer is "Yes. Most definitely, yes." And if you watch Wonder Woman 1984, watch through the credits. You're welcome.

Thanks for the tip. I could barely sit through the whole 2 1/2 hours of WW 1984, couldn't turn it off fast enough. I'll go back and watch the credits.

Thanks for the tip. I could barely sit through the whole 2 1/2 hours of WW 1984, couldn't turn it off fast enough. I'll go back and watch the credits.

Having lived through the 80s, my wife and I had a lot of "OMG" flashback (or was that Flash Dance?) moments while our 27 year old daughter was watching with us. We're a Marvel family, definitely, but this was a particularly bad DC movie. The best part was the credits, in my book.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Having lived through the 80s, my wife and I had a lot of "OMG" flashback (or was that Flash Dance?) moments while our 27 year old daughter was watching with us. We're a Marvel family, definitely, but this was a particularly bad DC movie. The best part was the credits, in my book.

I just watched the credits.
Nice cameo by Lynda, she still looks great. That voice though?

I think the best scenes in WW 1984 included Chris Pine.

Last edited:
I suspect because we see an imaginary world presented to us, we imagine ourselves in that world, and decide how we would act there. If I were on Gilligan's Island, it would be a choice between Ginger and Marry Ann ... Agent 99 wouldn't be an available option. And usually in those shows, the two "option girls" are presented as two different stereotypes that encourages at least a preference if not an actual "pick".
I think you're right. The "world" thus can extend to another show in the same genre, like The Addams Family vs. The Munsters, and it makes sense to compare/contrast Morticia and Lily. Never seen Samantha vs. Jeannie brought up, though. Or Emma Peel vs. Agent 99.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I think you're right. The "world" thus can extend to another show in the same genre, like The Addams Family vs. The Munsters, and it makes sense to compare/contrast Morticia and Lily. Never seen Samantha vs. Jeannie brought up, though. Or Emma Peel vs. Agent 99.
In that vein I'll take Shirley Partridge over Carol Brady every day and twice on Sunday.

In that case, the answer is "Yes. Most definitely, yes." And if you watch Wonder Woman 1984, watch through the credits. You're welcome.

I have heard so much bad about WW 1984, I do not think I am going to bother.

Lynda Carter lives somewhere fairly near us. We used to see her from time to time at, say, kids soccer or basketball games. She seems to remain lovely in every respect. I have certainly been close enough in person to her to hear her speak, but I do not remember anything that stood out about here voice.

Gal Gadot seems great, too.

Top Bottom