What's new

Dawn Detergent Soak Stains

I got a few razors today and was pleasantly surprised they were shave ready.

I decided to clean them with Dawn in an ultrasonic cleaner. It seemed to work well, so I left them in there and left for a few hours. The machine turns off after 4 min.

when I came back, the water was brownish and the blades were partially stained black. Some of the stain wiped off on my fingers. I’ve now polished them lightly. The worst one looks like this.

What did I do wrong?

F943A559-4E77-44E8-B27C-59C3717280D0.jpeg

Take a better picture so we can see, but yeah I'd guess it's some kind of oxidation too.

Was there anything in there other than razors, dawn and water?

Long story short, your razor should never be wet for any longer than it takes you to hone on a waterstone or complete a shave.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Just buff it off. Lay rhe blade flat on a bar of aluminum or copper to serve as heat sink and edge guard. Hit it (very carefully) with multispeed dremel and felt wheel, loaded with a little .5u diamond paste or CrOx. Make sure edge stays fully down on the heat sink, and don't get crazy and overheat the blade. Use the lowest speed setting. You can also do this by hand. Take a scrap of old tshirt and load it, fold it over the spine so that cloth extends down past the edge on both sides. Pinch the blade covered with the loaded rag between thumb and forefinger, WITH THE SPINE TOWARD THE WEB OF THE HAND. Carefully run the blade in and out between the folded rag, with a moderate pinching pressure. Simple surface oxides will come off pretty easy. When I say carefully, I do mean carefully, for the sake of your hand (ouch ouch ouch trip to emergency room and pitying looks from the doc for you being such a dumdum) as well as for the sake of the razor. You can do the shank and monkeytail, too. Shouldn't be necessary to unpin unless you are just very obsessive about stuff.

Legion

Staff member
Just buff it off. Lay rhe blade flat on a bar of aluminum or copper to serve as heat sink and edge guard. Hit it (very carefully) with multispeed dremel and felt wheel, loaded with a little .5u diamond paste or CrOx. Make sure edge stays fully down on the heat sink, and don't get crazy and overheat the blade. Use the lowest speed setting. You can also do this by hand. Take a scrap of old tshirt and load it, fold it over the spine so that cloth extends down past the edge on both sides. Pinch the blade covered with the loaded rag between thumb and forefinger, WITH THE SPINE TOWARD THE WEB OF THE HAND. Carefully run the blade in and out between the folded rag, with a moderate pinching pressure. Simple surface oxides will come off pretty easy. When I say carefully, I do mean carefully, for the sake of your hand (ouch ouch ouch trip to emergency room and pitying looks from the doc for you being such a dumdum) as well as for the sake of the razor. You can do the shank and monkeytail, too. Shouldn't be necessary to unpin unless you are just very obsessive about stuff.
What could possibly go wrong?

I'd probably advise just buffing with a rag and MAAS or Autosol and see how you go.

That razor is no longer shave ready, BTW. It'll need a hone after you clean it.

Top Bottom