What's new

Davidoff Cool Water - Its Awesome - Have You tried it?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
So, Davidoff Cool Water, why? Cause its better to land in cool water then hot water. :letterk1: Seriously though, and here's why...

proxy.php

Introduction Story:

You know those Black Ice freshener trees that you get for cars? Well, if your like me, you've sampled them all, and none of them are really that impressive except for, Black Ice. Now, I've never seen real black ice before, but I sure like the scent of it! So the story goes, I scoured the internet to find out what the scent was made of, and that research led me to a Reddit, where they talked about what cologne most matches it, and as it turned out, it was Davidoff Cool Water.

Now, keep in mind, I'm not a hip youngster like these kids today, I was razed by the generation who lived through the Great Depression, back when the Ford Model A was trying to make a stance, when nobody but the rich could afford to buy them during a depression. So, I didn't know about Davidoff Cool Water, even though the cologne has been around since 1988. I've only used, Old Spice, Brute, Polo, and Preferred Stock colognes before.

The Box & Bottle:

I bought the 6.7 ounce bottle, cause why buy little when more is better! No seriously, I just want it to last awhile guys. The box they present the cologne in is nothing really special, although I am sure the company who makes it would disagree. Its a fairly plain box with some shine on it. But its super annoying to open, and frustrating to get the cologne out, because they package it with inserts, just a bunch of needless BS getting in the way. They really need to improve upon that.

The bottle itself, is as you see in the picture above. Looks nice I suppose, nothing fancy, and it doesn't need to be. Its a dark blue color, I like it, cause blue is my favorite color. The bottle is made of glass of course, cause we don't want chemical reactions happening with plastic bottles, that ruin the scent. That be a lot like when a cork reacts to wine and makes it go bad. Bazel Fawlty from Fawlty Towers should know all about that.

The Spray Tip Nozzle:

The spray tip, for each press, delivers a nice wide pattern, making it easy to apply to your body. I've used colognes in the past that have a narrow spray pattern, and make you have to use more. And even some bottles of cologne, will use a super fine mist spray, that makes you question if it was even spraying anything. So, its nice to see that for the price you pay, you get a good spray nozzle!

The Cologne Scent:

Top Notes: Peppermint & Lavender

Heart Notes: Oakmoss & Geranium & Sandalwood

Base Notes: Amber & Musk

This scent is best described as a very clean scent, as if you just got out of the shower. Like I've said in my introduction, if you have ever smelled a Black Ice freshener tree, then you know what Davidoff Cool Water smells like. The scent is not overpowering like Preffered Stock is. Its a subtle but noticeable scent, and because its not strong and overpowering, it shouldn't give you any headaches. I am prone to headaches, and Cool Water gives me none, so thats great news!

The scent appeared to last about 8-hours for me, but YMMV. If you are someone who works a 10 - 12 hour shift, I'd recommend re-spraying yourself at the 6 to 8 hour mark. But if you put in a standard 8-hour shift, a single application should be enough. And remember guys, ladies don't like overpowering scents, so you may want to start your date off with this one, just saying lol. I have fallen in love with the scent, and I couldn't recommend it enough.

While perusing the internet, I discovered that they also make this scent in shower gels, and aftershave balms. So, I know what aftershave balm I am getting next! Keep in mind guys, I am not a cologne connoisseur, so I am not up on all the expert lingo jargin, and what have you. I just did the best I could to write a review on on this cologne, and hope that it helps other's out there. And, like my title says, I'd like to get opinions from all of you all, who have used Davidoff Cool Water. What do you guys think of it?

Last edited:
Cool Water was a very popular fragrance in my part of the world during the early to mid 90s. I liked it and wore it myself. I went through maybe three or four bottles. After that, I got tired of it. It's ok when one or two people wear it at work. When almost every third guy at the office, mall, resto, café, or church wears it, your nose starts to go numb.

It was my first exposure to blue or aquatic scents and yes, it was long lasting. Good enough for an 8-hour day.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Yes, excellent juice. The "less fortunate" man's Creed Green Irish Tweed. Goes wonderfully with Stirling Sharp Dressed Man or whatever your favorite GIT-inspired soap happens to be.

I did hear a few mentions for Creed Green Irish Tweed, in reference to the fact that supposedly, Davidoff Cool Water ripped off CGIT scent, thats the claim anyways. What I think is unfortunate, is when cologne manufactures choose to discontinue a scent for no reason. You know that scent Drakkar Noir, that got discontinued, and you can only find that in left over stock, I had to go to Ebay to buy it for a family member.

I am glad that you like Davidoff Cool Water too, excellent! And speaking of, I have gotten into Stirling shave soaps recently, I only have one for now, but am already sold on them. So good to hear!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I did hear a few mentions for Creed Green Irish Tweed, in reference to the fact that supposedly, Davidoff Cool Water ripped off CGIT scent, thats the claim anyways. What I think is unfortunate, is when cologne manufactures choose to discontinue a scent for no reason. You know that scent Drakkar Noir, that got discontinued, and you can only find that in left over stock, I had to go to Ebay to buy it for a family member.

I am glad that you like Davidoff Cool Water too, excellent! And speaking of, I have gotten into Stirling shave soaps recently, I only have one for now, but am already sold on them. So good to hear!
LOL, I don't know if "rip off" is quite the right way to think about. People do have strong opinions, and that's fine. But there's also a lot of gray area when it comes to fragrance. I mean, you can't really patent or trademark a scent. Plus, everyone experiences scents differently, i.e. your nose picks up notes differently than mine. One person might sniff CW and GIT and think they are the same and another would say they are totally different. And the difference compounds as it dries down. But they are in the same family. There's a name for the molecule that give them the characteristic "fresh" scent (I don't remember the name). Somewhere on the internet there's an article talking about the development of CW and GIT. They came out around the same time and there is some dispute about which one was first and which one ripped off the other. Obviously, GIT is vastly more expensive and the one worn by Cary Grant, Clint Eastwood, etc etc, so I think it gets the benefit of the doubt. Meanwhile, CW became more associated with teenagers and frat boys and acquired a more low brow reputation. Its all fun to jaw-jaw about, but at the end of the day, wear what you like within your budget and its all good.

I have used Cool Water for decades. Amazing scent and the EDT is dirt cheap. I think I paid $15 for my current 100ml bottle.

The performance is pretty bad though. It isn’t very long lasting and doesn't project for long. I use it mainly in the summer, so this doesn’t really bother me as I prefer milder scents when it is hot.

Drakkar Noir is not discontinued.. It is still very much in production ( in the USA at least), and can be found at CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart. Drakkar is manufactured by L'oreal, and they have also just released a Drakkar Noir Intense about 2 months ago.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Drakkar Noir is not discontinued.. It is still very much in production ( in the USA at least), and can be found at CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart. Drakkar is manufactured by L'oreal, and they have also just released a Drakkar Noir Intense about 2 months ago.

All I know is, I had a heck of a time trying to get it a couple years ago, it was out of stock everywhere but Ebay, and I thought I remembered reading a post about the product being discontinued back then.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Oddly enough, I used Tabac in HS.

Interesting, I didn't know that Tabac had a cologne, I thought they were only a shave soap, shows how much I know lol. So what was most common with folks back in your school to use? I have a feeling you using Tabac made you quite unique.

Drakkar Noir was another popular fragrance when I was in high school. I'm glad to learn it hasn't been discontinued. I associate it with some of my old friends. 🙂

I own the CW EdT and the Aftershave. I remember when my cousin first wore it in the early 90s and I fell in love with it that moment. Still love it. I also own the CW Night Dive aftershave which has a more floral note. Anybody own Hot Water?

Top Bottom