What's new

David Beckham playing in LA

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070111/sp_nm/soccer_beckham_dc_10

So what does this mean with reguards to soccer in Europe? Is he leaving just for the money? (Reportedly $250,000,000.00) Or is there change in the wind over there? I think I also remember something about the Glaisers that own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers buying Manchester United. I could be wrong about that so don't quote me. Is there something going on in European soccer that is causing a shake up or is it just market expansion from a business point of view?

This is like Pele all over again.. Beckham is in the twilight of his career like Pele. I give this a 25% chance of success..

The only thing that he excels in is that no one can bend it like Beckham despite the fact that he is a bit long in the tooth.

So what does this mean with reguards to soccer in Europe? Is he leaving just for the money? (Reportedly $250,000,000.00) Or is there change in the wind over there? I think I also remember something about the Glaisers that own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers buying Manchester United. I could be wrong about that so don't quote me. Is there something going on in European soccer that is causing a shake up or is it just market expansion from a business point of view?

there is no such thing as SOCCER in Europe, outside of your mini-world it's called Football, fussball, le football, futbol, etc etc...

I think Becks will do well over here. He's no longer the force he was in Europe, but the talent level and playing style in MLS will allow him to excel again. I think he also misses being a major focal point, not just off the field. I couldn't possibly see any sort of mass exodus of European stars for MLS -- I think this is just a unique case where Becks believes this is the right move for him at this time in his career, and I think it probably is.

there is no such thing as SOCCER in Europe, outside of your mini-world it's called Football, fussball, le football, futbol, etc etc...

And inside our little "mini-world," football is a very different sport. As this board is based in the USA, and most of the members are from the USA, I think "soccer" is the term which most people will be accustomed to. Call it what you will, and I think most people will still understand, but we mean no disrespect to the sport by calling it soccer. I believe he used the term in the context he did to distinguish the leagues in Europe from the same sport in the USA (MLS).

Tomato, tomato, potato, potato, Football, Soccer, let's call the whole thing off....

Beck's performance has not been great recently, he did well to get this contract perhaps. I'm not sure if they paid USD250M for him or as part of a package -- time will tell.

Simon.

P.S. As the web (upon which this forum would not exist) was developed by an Englishman and the majority of the world live outside of the USA, we shall continue to be correct in calling the gentleman's game 'football.' So there.

This is a huge deal for MLS, the kind they have been working towards for a long time. He is going to draw so much attention to the league, and that's really the point. I will be interested to see how British fans will follow him in the US. He is such a pop-culture phenom.

Hopefully other waning stars will have the guts to come and play over here.

P.S. As the web (upon which this forum would not exist) was developed by an Englishman and the majority of the world live outside of the USA, we shall continue to be correct in calling the gentleman's game 'football.' So there.

Haha.. that's funny! We all know Al Gore invented the internet!:001_tt2:

The problem is that the majority of the US public equate skill in soccer with number of goals scored. Beckham is not now, nor has he ever been, a prolific goal scorer. He has a beautiful free kick, but he's not a goal scorer.

So, I think he's going to be a flop. He could come over here and play remarkably, but because he's not going to score a lot of goals, people will think he blows. They'll say, "He's not even in the top five goal scorers! He sucks!"

It's amazing to me how much people hate this guy. Yeah, they wouldn't cash in if they had his opportunities. Give me a break.

The whole England team played horribly at the World Cup, yet Beckham took a lot of the blame. But where was Wayne Rooney, the so called "wonder kid?" Nowhere. Frank Lampard was so bad that I was embarrassed for him. But Beckham, who contributed on many of England's few goals, is dethroned and subsequently booted from the starting lineup in Madrid, while they continue to use other over the hill and out of shape players.

He's not the best player in the world, but he's not the worst. His fame and good looks have ultimately been his bane as a player.

I think he will do wonders for the American game. We haven't had a real sports celebrity since Shaquille O'Neal was in his prime. Maybe since Jordan retired from the Bulls. Unless you count Tiger Woods...

The whole England team played horribly at the World Cup, yet Beckham took a lot of the blame.

When you're the captain, you take the blame for a lot of your team's shortcomings that aren't necessarily your fault. However, he's not the kind of guy that will hold a national team together, and I think some of his shortcomings as a captain showed in the poor team play exhibited by the Lions. I think John Terry will be the opposite and a much more effective captain.

While I think Pat already made a good case for me I must also note that in your post alone there are different names for the same sport. Also the league he is joining is the MLS (Major League Soccer). No I didn't mean to disrespect your institution just discussing it in terms familiar to me.

The problem is that the majority of the US public equate skill in soccer with number of goals scored. Beckham is not now, nor has he ever been, a prolific goal scorer. He has a beautiful free kick, but he's not a goal scorer.

So, I think he's going to be a flop. He could come over here and play remarkably, but because he's not going to score a lot of goals, people will think he blows. They'll say, "He's not even in the top five goal scorers! He sucks!"

Very interesting. See not having followed the sport over there I assumed incorrectly that he was a great scorer as well. Why else would you pay that kind of money for someone who wouldn't put the points on the board? At the end of the day it is all about who puts more points up so I assumed that was something that he did.

becks was the never the same player since he left man yoo. and he was only at real madrid to sell shirts and boost the profile of the club - a club with no collective efficacy, too many individuals and never won a thing. the new manager there - fabio capello is trying to get rid of these so called 'galacticos' and is resulting in real madrid putting up a good fight this season, i think they may be in with a chance of winning something.

the fact that he was dropped from the national side is as much to do with a change of managers. previously, becks was never likely to be dropped, despite his performances suggesting he perhaps should be. but with the new manager coming in, i think he wanted to stamp his authority and also recognises the fact that becks has a huge ego which obviously had a negative effect on the squad with his demands, such as wanting to play in a position where becks would have seemingly more 'authority' coupled with the fact that there are awesome, hungry youngsters coming through.

however, becks has won the FA cup, numerous premiership titles and champions league, been captain of england and played for two of the best clubs in the league as well as having some dodgy haircuts, but had an amazing effect on men's grooming so he has certainly been successful. but £128m at LA galaxy over 5 years? that's ridiculous. nice work if you can get it.

beck's was never the same player after he left man yoo and to be honest i dont give a toss what he does. don't get me wrong i have some great memories, such as the free kick against greece. but footballers are overpaid, overhyped individuals and is why i support a team from the lower leagues.

shame we wont be seeing much of his wife tho.

oh and then we've got his kids to look forward to......

Beckam is a face and a sales tool.He will sell shirts and what ever else he puts his name on...., and it was indicated in an interview......he may appeal to the Hispanic population in the US...as he now speaks Spanish. The same interview also stated that the obscenely large payment also includessponsorship/promotion deals.

Brian

When you're the captain, you take the blame for a lot of your team's shortcomings that aren't necessarily your fault. However, he's not the kind of guy that will hold a national team together, and I think some of his shortcomings as a captain showed in the poor team play exhibited by the Lions. I think John Terry will be the opposite and a much more effective captain.

You may very well be right.

I agree that he probably wasn't the best choice for captain; but I also think that because of his celebrity status, he took more blame than a normal captain would have. Maybe that's his fault for becoming a celebrity, but I still don't feel it's fair.

The backlash he took for 1998 was far heavier than what Rooney has received after last year's incident. Maybe it's more certain that Beckham's kick was intentional, but it was still catastrophic. And instead of attacking Rooney, people jumped at Cristiano Ronaldo instead, even though what he did was typical of a million other players in the game.

I almost think that as much as a lot of the public loves David Beckham, they almost want to see him fail on a subconscious level.

I don't know much about John Terry. I hope England will perform better than they have in the past.

The backlash he took for 1998 was far heavier than what Rooney has received after last year's incident. Maybe it's more certain that Beckham's kick was intentional, but it was still catastrophic. And instead of attacking Rooney, people jumped at Cristiano Ronaldo instead, even though what he did was typical of a million other players in the game.

I completely agree. I'm not a Rooney fan at all (City 'til I die), but Wayne Rooney's actions and poor performance in the World Cup 2006 were inexcusable. When you get to the point that Becks has, with 15 or so years experience, you might even be able to get away with it. But Rooney had no justification, whatsoever. If you ask me, he's the most overrated player in Europe, hands down.

I'd like to see Rooney step it up. He's an integral part of the England's team and they're going to need him, unless there's some up and coming striker I'm unaware of.

And how about Ronaldo leading the first place team in goal scoring from the midfield? He's impressive.

Top Bottom