What's new

dave chappelle the closer - anyone watched it on netflix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dave chappelle the closer - anyone watched it on netflix?

about half way in, the guys funny lol! 😂

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Not yet but I will. He’s the best. Nothing is off limits to him and he’s full of common sense, logic, and facts. That’s why he’s so funny. You listen to him and are like “that’s hilarious because it’s so true and makes perfect sense!”

Reactions: saj
Not yet but I will. He’s the best. Nothing is off limits to him and he’s full of common sense, logic, and facts. That’s why he’s so funny. You listen to him and are like “that’s hilarious because it’s so true and makes perfect sense!”
Yea he's clever in saying the a lot of wisdom through his jokes

He seems to be getting some backlash from what I seen online

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yea he's clever in saying the a lot of wisdom through his jokes

He seems to be getting some backlash from what I seen online
Of course he is. In this day and age his jokes are “offensive” to a certain segment of society. But he doesn’t care. He’s making so much money for Netflix neither do they.

Of course he is. In this day and age his jokes are “offensive” to a certain segment of society. But he doesn’t care. He’s making so much money for Netflix neither do they.
yea hes making top dollar

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Oh wow. Never thought of that! He does remind me a lot of Carlin now that you mention it

Reactions: saj
When I first heard about the controversy I was curious what he'd done. Sometimes comedy is funny precisely because it pushes the boundaries. Nothing should be sacred.

Chappelle: "TERF? I don't even know what that means. Trans people make up words to win arguments".

It's kind of chilling. Not even attempting to make a joke, just an ignorant man parading his ignorance and encouraging others to join in. TERF = trans exclusionary radical feminist ie feminists with a lot of critical things to say about sex & gender but who don't include trans women as "real women".

If you're going to criticise one side in a debate, at least make the effort to learn what the frog you're talking about...

This matters because there are important issues here about rights eg trans women's right to live as normal women or women's right to be safe from abusive males. There is a huge amount of confusion about "biology" and blind prejudice to wade through to get at the truth and people on all sides are often on a very short and angry fuse. Chappelle isn't helping.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
When I first heard about the controversy I was curious what he'd done. Sometimes comedy is funny precisely because it pushes the boundaries. Nothing should be sacred.

Chappelle: "TERF? I don't even know what that means. Trans people make up words to win arguments".

It's kind of chilling. Not even attempting to make a joke, just an ignorant man parading his ignorance and encouraging others to join in. TERF = trans exclusionary radical feminist ie feminists with a lot of critical things to say about sex & gender but who don't include trans women as "real women".

If you're going to criticise one side in a debate, at least make the effort to learn what the frog you're talking about...

This matters because there are important issues here about rights eg trans women's right to live as normal women or women's right to be safe from abusive males. There is a huge amount of confusion about "biology" and blind prejudice to wade through to get at the truth and people on all sides are often on a very short and angry fuse. Chappelle isn't helping.
Is this comment serious or poking fun?

I kind of agree with McBlade but probably from a different angle. I’m British and, if you aren’t familiar with that condition, the Brits spend all day trying to offend one another. It’s how we express friendship and respect without everything becoming awkward. If you want to freak out a British person pay them a sincere compliment - we can’t deal with that and it is kind of taboo. Dave Chappelle’s routines are extremely tame compared to just regular, everyday chit-chat for us, but his act depends entirely on shock value. When it isn’t shocking you see there are no good jokes. So what’s the point of the routine, then?

I guess it’s true that humour doesn’t travel. I tried to like it but everyone I know is funnier than that.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Who said man is the only animal that laughs, and the only animal that needs to?

I find him hilarious, and until you have had clients that are "fluid" in their...... choices you can't understand how I can laugh and cry at that "humor..."

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Things tend to get out of hand with topics like this. As long as discourse is civil and remains politics free, which is admittedly difficult given the topic, we can discuss.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Things tend to get out of hand with topics like this. As long as discourse is civil and remains politics free, which is admittedly difficult given the topic, we can discuss.
Good point. I should have said nothing. Since I had nothing worth saying.

Unfortunately, almost all humor is mean, as in average, or as in "picking on" someone. It's hilarious when someone slips on a banana peel, as long as it's someone ELSE that slips on the banana peel.

This is why I said we are the only animal that needs to laugh.

I was impressed at how his routine has become a monologue, a skill I respect far more than traditional standup. Another modern comedian who has moved into monologues is Mike Birbiglia. I HIGHLY recommend My Girlfriend's Boyfriend as an introduction to his stuff. In The Closer he skillfully weaves his story to expose the humanity in us all.

Chilling are the trans activists who reject the notion of a woman's right to be safeguarded from abusive males claiming trans status.

Pointing this out will get you labeled a TERF. As will will questioning whether transgender females should be allowed to compete in women's sport.

Chappelle may not be "helping", but I do not recall that being his job.

Is this comment serious or poking fun?

Serious.

All of these sex/gender issues arise from the interplay of three things:

(1) what people normally refer to as "biology" - reproductive physiology, sex chromosome, secondary sexual characteristics etc

(2) another bit of biology which is often missed: our minds don't appear to be innately gendered

(3) rigid cultural stereotypes about what it means to be male/female

The second, the fact that our minds don't appear to be innately gendered, is the key to the whole thing. This means that social stereotypes about gender have no basis in objective reality. Men aren't from Mars and women aren't from Venus.

It also means the "but it's biology!" argument is thoroughly inadequate. If cognitive abilities and personality traits (our minds) vary independently of reproductive physiology, you have to be very careful about category errors. Male/female isn't even a meaningful distinction to make except in specific circumstances where reproductive physiology etc is actually relevant (eg health care). Biological sex barely even begins to address all the issues although some - like Chappelle - will argue with the certainty of blithe ignorance that this is the beginning and the end of the matter.

If you think this is some kind of annoying culture war just look back at the glorious history of sexism. Not so long ago, women weren't allowed to vote or even own property in some western countries. Women have only been allowed to serve as combat pilots in the US since the nineties (!). There is yet to be a female POTUS.

Clearly we've been on a long journey to slowly unwind centuries of confusion and misunderstanding about sex & gender - and we haven't got to the end yet.

Pointing this out will get you labeled a TERF. As will will questioning whether transgender females should be allowed to compete in women's sport.

I'm generally in favour of trans rights but sports may be an exception. We ban performance-enhancing drugs because they give a competitor an unfair advantage. Therefore, if it can be shown that a previous male hormone regime confers a real advantage in a given sport, it seems fair not to allow a trans woman to compete with other women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom