What's new

Daughters & Ryan - Three Sails

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I had purchased some Three Sails tobacco a short while back, and just got around to jarring it tonight.
It's described as a Shag cut Virginia, with a strength of 4 out of 5.

The first thing I noticed when jarring it is that this is a SUPER FINE cut tobacco. I mean, the finest, thinnest cut pipe tobacco I have seen yet.
I thought to myself, man - this looks almost identical to cigarette tobacco, I bet it burns fast.

Then I looked over the package. In not one, but two separate locations they have an announcement printed:
"This product intended exclusively for use as pipe tobacco".

That got me to thinking of the old adage "Methinks thou dost protest too much!"

I'm going to go out and have a bowl and will report back - but, I'm starting to think that maybe this "pipe" tobacco is cigarette tobacco disguised as pipe tobacco, for whatever reasons. Taxes maybe, the stigma of cigarettes vs pipe smoking. Who knows.
But if you look at some of this stuff, the last thing you think of is "pipe tobacco".

Has anyone else tried this? What are your impressions?

I have not tried that particular blend. There are several RYO cigarette blends labeled as "pipe tobacco" specifically for the purpose of beating prohibitive taxes on cigarettes (Smokers' Pride comes to mind), but Daughters & Ryan is, as far as I know, a legitimate pipe tobacco marque. I have seen a couple pipe blends with that ultrafine shag cut - all the Semois products, for example - so I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions. Taste is going to be the only test that matters.

Edit: based on Semois experience, a very tight pack works best for shag cut.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have not tried that particular blend. There are several RYO cigarette blends labeled as "pipe tobacco" specifically for the purpose of beating prohibitive taxes on cigarettes (Smokers' Pride comes to mind), but Daughters & Ryan is, as far as I know, a legitimate pipe tobacco marque. I have seen a couple pipe blends with that ultrafine shag cut - all the Semois products, for example - so I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions. Taste is going to be the only test that matters.

Yep. Tight is the word.
A tight pack and frequent tamping with more pressure than I am used to.
This stuff burns hot and it burns fast. Initial impression is indeed cigarette tobacco. Once you get a little bit into the bowl, and have tamped it quite a bit, you begin to get a little bit of the Virginia flavor.
But... if you're looking to just appease people who smile at your pipe and frown at your cigarette, a lightly packed pipe with this stuff is all you need to pull one over on the world.
I'm thinking that this is not going to be a major "go to" for me on its own.
I can absolutely see blending this with a lighter burley or a cavendish in a ribbon or other cut to slow it down, bring up the strength of the mixed tobacco and to bring out the Virginia flavors that it absolutely harbors, but hides in it's fast hot burn.
Maybe even mixing with a latakia or perique heavy blend (I'm not a huge fan of latakia or perique), would benefit both as discerned by my tastes.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The second 3rd of the bowl was better than the first 3rd.
The last 3rd made working through the first 3rd worth it.

Three Sails is based on an old blend (some say the exact same blend though I can’t confirm) called Three Castles which was also a very fine cut of pure Virginia reminiscent of RYO but was a pipe blend initially manufactured by W.D and H.O Wills and later by Gallaher Ltd. There are other pipe tobaccos in similar style such as Five Brothers, Dark Birds Eye (Gawith Hogarth), Special London Fine Cut (Robert McConnell), Le Petit Robin (Tabac Manil) etc.

The key is to pack tight but they will still smoke faster than a more traditional ribbon cut. Puff too hard on any of them and they get quite harsh.

I'm glad it worked out, Phil, but a strength of 4 out of 5 would be way too much for me!

Are all the D & R blends this kind of cut?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Did a little test of the Three Sails mixed about 50/50 with the Sutliff Mark Twain which I bought in bulk, and it's actually pretty darned good.
The Three Sails bumps up the boldness of the Mark Twain which is a Black Cavendish, Burley, and Virginia blend in ribbon cut with a strength of 2 of 5, and makes it an easier burn. The Mark Twain gives the Three Sails quite a bit more character, increasing the Virginia flavor delivery.
I mixed up a small jar and likely will visit this often.

Semois fine? If you buy the fine cut yes. Buy the grosse coup. Than it is thicker ryo ribbon cut ;)

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I bought two bags of the three sails recently myself after hearing good things about it. At the price point its hard to beat if for nothing else but to bump up other blends as you have with yours. I haven't received mine yet. I'll reserve judgement until I get mine in hand.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
D&R sells their blends on the dry side. It's a plus and a minus: plus is you get more tobacco (and less water) per ounce; minus is you may need to rehydrate a little before it's smoking great, because drier tobacco will burn faster and hotter.

I know a blender that used several D&R blends as base components for his own blends. The key is to get the hydration up and give your blend plenty of time to marry in the jar (at least 2 months, preferable 6). But D&R tobacco is quality tobacco and should play well in your own blends.

I've smoked D&R Ryback for a few years. It's basically a copy of the old Drum cig pouches in the blue bag. I spent quite a bit of time in Germany and got hooked on Drum. This is as close as I can find to the original Halfzware Shag. I don't roll it, and find it works best in a small bowled pipe.

I have lots of 3 Sails stored and now need to get some more burley or other to mix it with. It is fine on it's own, but for variety it needs a darker or whatever mixer. Have some 5 Brothers, Perique and some other mixes, but not enough. Gonna go shopping again. hehe

I also have Orlick, Peterson etc. and some other tins of much more expensive Virginia tobacco. I do not see a great difference in taste or quality with them compared to the 3 Sails. In other words, not worth the money to me. I loaded up on the 3 Sails to have plenty on hand in case of laws, taxes going nuts.

I have a couple ounces on the way, but haven't tried it before. I read that this cut used to be pretty common for pipe tobacco in the UK.

Just hydrate it a bit and pack it tight. I also roll it up and smoke it like a little cigar. It is a subtle taste quite like hay I suppose.

The fact that they announce emphatically on the label that "THIS IS PIPE TOBACCO!" feels s like a tax dodge. The fact that it smokes like a cigarette just strengthens my suspicion, but I'm a skeptic.

It is a tax dodge. No doubt. It is also a good quality Virginia tobacco and can be used in a pipe straight or mixed. The Virginia flake I get in tins is not really any better than the 3 Sails, or if it is, not much better.

D and R realizes many of their products are used by roll your own people. The bulk of the 3 Sails use is ryo I am sure. That tax is a crime in itself imo.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The fact that they announce emphatically on the label that "THIS IS PIPE TOBACCO!" feels s like a tax dodge. The fact that it smokes like a cigarette just strengthens my suspicion, but I'm a skeptic.
Brilliant minds think alike:

Then I looked over the package. In not one, but two separate locations they have an announcement printed:
"This product intended exclusively for use as pipe tobacco".

That got me to thinking of the old adage "Methinks thou dost protest too much!"

I'm going to go out and have a bowl and will report back - but, I'm starting to think that maybe this "pipe" tobacco is cigarette tobacco disguised as pipe tobacco, for whatever reasons. Taxes maybe, the stigma of cigarettes vs pipe smoking. Who knows.

Top Bottom