What's new

Dating my Grandfathers 28 gauge.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Gents

I have a H&R single shot 28 gauge that belonged to my Grandfather. He was born in 1900 but he said he bought the gun used in the 1930's. I am struggling dating it. If I get the SN# off of it do one y'all think you could ball park it for me? I am pretty sure it was built in Worcester which makes it somewhat collectible. It looks old as dirt as it sat in a damp basement for years. I don't want to touch it for nostalgic reasons. I shoot a few rounds threw it once a year and put it back away.

My Dad told me Grandpa also had a side by side 10 gauge. Dad does not know where that went. I have spent years trying to track it through family members and nobody has it. :(

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
H&R didn't use date codes until 1940 so the best resource I know of would be at Numrich. They bought up all the old stock when H&R went away and might have a clue. Check out their blog.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Many of the old 10ga doubles have damascus barrels and they can't shoot modern shotshells. I had an old French one that was beautiful to look at, just not very practical.

Top Bottom