What's new

Dating 1912 Gem Junior

Hi, I recently purchased my first single edge safety razor, a Gem 1912 Junior, after DE shaving for a few years. I really would like to ballpark its production date. Can anybody tell me at the very least a range? Below is a link to the EBay listing. I was told 1912-20s. Perhaps made in the mid 20s.

GEM Junior 1912 Vintage SE Safety Razor | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/115466351276?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=BfZf9xE1T_W&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=J75fdoh7R5a&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Also, I bought some Ted Pelle Personna Gem PTFE blades, are these okay? I also have some Gem Personna Stainless Steel blades.

Hi, I recently purchased my first single edge safety razor, a Gem 1912 Junior, after DE shaving for a few years. I really would like to ballpark its production date. Can anybody tell me at the very least a range? Below is a link to the EBay listing. I was told 1912-20s. Perhaps made in the mid 20s.

GEM Junior 1912 Vintage SE Safety Razor | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/115466351276?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=BfZf9xE1T_W&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=J75fdoh7R5a&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Also, I bought some Ted Pelle Personna Gem PTFE blades, are these okay? I also have some Gem Personna Stainless Steel blades.
I think you have here an example of the New Gem Junior, which was made from 1933 to 1938. It seems to have all the features of a 1912 Improved. Note the 1912 dating is only referencing the original patent date for this sub type.

I have an Ever Ready 1912 Improved, which was made in England from 1936-53. Apart from mine having the chain-link style handle and being nickel plated, it is identical in terms of frame features.
IMG_20220402_215720018.jpgIMG_20220402_215113247.jpgIMG_20220505_171625182.jpg

Yours has the fluted style handle, introduced in 1924.

Here is an excellent resource which gives a timeline of all ASRC products and developments.

American Safety Razor Dating Chart - Gem, Ever Ready, Kampfe Star - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/american-safety-razor-dating-chart-gem-ever-ready-kampfe-star.566585/

I only have experience with the GEM Personna stainless steel blades that you have. They are very good. The 2nd shave onward is better, as with many DE blades. Expect to get 8-10 good shaves from them.

Last edited:
I think you have here an example of the New Gem Junior, which was made from 1933 to 1938. It seems to have all the features of a 1912 Improved. Note the 1912 dating is only referencing the original patent date for this sub type.

I have an Ever Ready 1912 Improved, which was made in England from 1936-53. Apart from mine having the chain-link style handle and being nickel plated, it is identical in terms of frame features.
View attachment 1496019View attachment 1496024View attachment 1496025

Yours has the fluted style handle, introduced in 1924.

Here is an excellent resource which gives a timeline of all ASRC products and developments.

American Safety Razor Dating Chart - Gem, Ever Ready, Kampfe Star - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/american-safety-razor-dating-chart-gem-ever-ready-kampfe-star.566585/

I only have experience with the GEM Personna stainless steel blades that you have. They are very good. The 2nd shave onward is better, as with many DE blades. Expect to get 8-10 good shaves from them.
Thank you. What characteristics give it away as a New Gem Junior from '33-'38?

Also, can you tell me how to hold this razor in relation to the handle and the face when shaving with it?

Last edited:
@Matthewlawson3 It has improved blade hooks at the bottom of the frame. Also the drainage holes were enlarged. There may have been other minor improvements I'm not aware of. The frame spring seems to have been worked on and the catch seems smaller?

Hold the flat front of the frame (head) to the face. Tilt very slightly to aquire angle. It really is very easy and fun to use! It gives an amazing shave.

Here is a thread I started when I first got my 1912. I got a huge amount of support and advice from coleagues, and I would greatly recommend you read it.

How Does One Shave With A GEM/Ever Ready 1912 SE Razor? Tips On Technique From Colleagues Needed. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-does-one-shave-with-a-gem-ever-ready-1912-se-razor-tips-on-technique-from-colleagues-needed.622671/#post-11710233

Good luck!

@Matthewlawson3 It has improved blade hooks at the bottom of the frame. Also the drainage holes were enlarged. There may have been other minor improvements I'm not aware of. The frame spring seems to have been worked on and the catch seems smaller?

Hold the flat front of the frame (head) to the face. Tilt very slightly to aquire angle. It really is very easy and fun to use! It gives an amazing shave.

Here is a thread I started when I first got my 1912. I got a huge amount of support and advice from coleagues, and I would greatly recommend you read it.

How Does One Shave With A GEM/Ever Ready 1912 SE Razor? Tips On Technique From Colleagues Needed. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-does-one-shave-with-a-gem-ever-ready-1912-se-razor-tips-on-technique-from-colleagues-needed.622671/#post-11710233

Good luck!
Thank you. Do you find these to give better shaves than DE razors? I'm still learning my technique on DE razors.

Good luck!
So I put the razor parallel to my face with the handle facing down? Then tilt the handle upwards till I feel it cut or make a buttering toast sound?

So I put the razor parallel to my face with the handle facing down? Then tilt the handle upwards till I feel it cut or make a buttering toast sound?
Place the frame head parallel to your face indeed. It's a very shallow angle. The 1912 gives excellent audio feedback, the buttering toast sound. I think it's an echo chamber effect from the acute angle of the frame and handle.

It is subjective in terms of efficiency. I and many others find the 1912 and other vintage SE razors to give a highly efficient shave, maybe even akin to a SR.

Some call them a "SR on a stick" :001_smile

Again please read the link to the thread I provided. A lot of info there which answers your posed questions, and others.

Place the frame head parallel to your face indeed. It's a very shallow angle. The 1912 gives excellent audio feedback, the buttering toast sound. I think it's an echo chamber effect from the acute angle of the frame and handle.

It is subjective in terms of efficiency. I and many others find the 1912 and other vintage SE razors to give a highly efficient shave, maybe even akin to a SR.

Some call them a "SR on a stick" :001_smile

Again please read the link to the thread I provided. A lot of info there which answers your posed questions, and others.
Thank you. Are stainless steel blades better than carbon? I’ve heard some say carbon is good from the first shave but stainless takes a shave or two to reach optimum performance?

Thank you. Are stainless steel blades better than carbon? I’ve heard some say carbon is good from the first shave but stainless takes a shave or two to reach optimum performance?
I have only used the GEM Personna stainless PTFE coated blades. The stainless blades do improve with use, it's true, but I find that with many if not all DE blades as well. Feathers are the exception I've heard.

I have not been able to source any SE carbons so far.

I have only used the GEM Personna stainless PTFE coated blades. The stainless blades do improve with use, it's true, but I find that with many if not all DE blades as well. Feathers are the exception I've heard.

Okay. Thanks sir for the info!

I Just wanted to let you know I received my razor and blades. I had a good shave with it, perhaps better than my DE razor shaves! Is it normal for those blades to start out scratchy then get smoother as the first shave with that blade goes on? Also, how durable are these razors? Just don't want to mess it up.

I Just wanted to let you know I received my razor and blades. I had a good shave with it, perhaps better than my DE razor shaves! Is it normal for those blades to start out scratchy then get smoother as the first shave with that blade goes on? Also, how durable are these razors? Just don't want to mess it up.
Excellent and well done! I was seriously impressed too when I first used a 1912.

Yes the first shave can be a little rougher than all the subsequent ones. They get smoother and sharper. Initially you should get 8-10 good shaves from a blade. As technique with them improves, it seems blade life increases.

I can't really comment on that, just something I've heard a couple of times.

The 1912's are pretty tough or we wouldn't be here maybe 80-90 years after they were made, talking about shaving with them!

Seriously, the only part to 'baby' a little are the blade retention hooks that come out of the bottom of the frame sides that hold the blade edges. If one goes, the razor is unusable. The blade is no longer held safely.

Apart from that, they are pretty rugged.

Last edited:
Excellent and well done! I was seriously impressed too when I first used a 1912.

Yes the first shave can be a little rougher than all the subsequent ones. They get smoother and sharper. Initially you should get 8-10 good shaves from a blade. As technique with them improves, it seems blade life increases.

I can't really comment on that, just something I've heard a couple of times.

The 1912's are pretty tough or we wouldn't be here maybe 80-90 years after they were made, talking about shaving with them!

Seriously, the only part to 'baby' a little are the blade retention hooks that come out of the bottom of the frame sides that hold the blade edges. If one goes, the razor is unusable. The blade is no longer held safely.

Apart from that, they are pretty rugged.
Thank you. What are the differences in your estimation between the Gem 1912, the Gem 1912 Junior, and the Eveready 1912?

Thank you. What are the differences in your estimation between the Gem 1912, the Gem 1912 Junior, and the Eveready 1912?
They are essentially the same. The frame design was of an improved type, dating from the early 30's. The differences are in handle size and materials, some GEM's were fitted with a bakelite (an early tough plastic) handle. There is a GEM service set issued to US forces in WW2 which features a short blackened metal handle.

The American Safety Razor Co. also sold their 1912's around the world. The UK Ever Ready's were made from 1936 in a new London factory built by the ASRC. This factory also made the STAR which was just a rebranded 1912 for the Australian/NZ market. The GEM name was reserved for the US market.

I only have an English made Ever Ready 1912 from I think the late 30's, but I would like to get the US Army model, which I think was called the G3 Service Set.

Read this excellent resource which is the timeline and development of all these models and their introduction dates and evolution. I really recommend you read it in depth. It will answer many of your current and future questions if you wish to collect these lovely razors seriously.

Last edited:
They are essentially the same. The frame design was of an improved type, dating from the early 30's. The differences are in handle size and materials, some GEM's were fitted with a bakelite (an early tough plastic) handle. There is a GEM service set issued to US forces in WW2 which features a short blackened metal handle.

The American Safety Razor Co. also sold their 1912's around the world. The UK Ever Ready's were made from 1936 in a new London factory built by the ASRC. This factory also made the STAR which was just a rebranded 1912 for the Australian/NZ market. The GEM name was reserved for the US market.

I only have an English made Ever Ready 1912 from I think the late 30's, but I would like to get the US Army model, which I think was called the G3 Service Set.

Read this excellent resource which is the timeline and development of all these models and their introduction dates and evolution. I really recommend you read it in depth. It will answer many of your current and future questions if you wish to collect these lovely razors seriously.

Thanks, so shaving wise the Gem Junior and Gem 1912 shave the same?

Also, I saw a Gem 1912 with what is being called a curved door. Are you familiar with that one? Are all Gem 1912's that way?

Top Bottom