What's new

Date code for 1949 Super Speed

Haven't been here in over a year, practicing what I learned from this website. I'm looking for the birthday shaver, super speed 2nd qtr 1949. How can I accurately determine a production code for this date? Somewhere I saw it was listed as U2. Other places indicate no code could be 48, 49 earlier, characteristics of the shaver? :confused1 I can't seem to find a correct answer, but I know it has to be here.

1947-1950 SS's had no date code. The 47 had an un-notched bar. There is no way to tell the 48-50's apart.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Gillette did not bring the date code back until 1950. The 1940's SS would be pretty hard to pin down to 2nd quarter of 1949. A Milord would be a bit easier to get close but still not exact.

the 48-50 superspeeds were not date coded, although there are rare ones with a "v" date code (1950). they are notched at the ends of the center bar, for pulling the razor blades from the dispensers. the 47 superspeed was not dated and not notched. see: http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9070
the 48 super speed came in a cardboard box, the 49 came in a red styrene plastic unnotched case. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=175433

(sorry to be redundant to the above posts; must have been typing at about the same time.)

You can tell a NDC 48-49 from a NDC 50 razor but not a 48 from a 49.
(Images by mr-razor)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Haven't been here in over a year, practicing what I learned from this website. I'm looking for the birthday shaver, super speed 2nd qtr 1949. How can I accurately determine a production code for this date? Somewhere I saw it was listed as U2. Other places indicate no code could be 48, 49 earlier, characteristics of the shaver? :confused1 I can't seem to find a correct answer, but I know it has to be here.

Hi there,

I believe there's a good chance of being pretty darn sure about finding the right date code for the razor you're looking for. You just need a few things to match up....heh. The case has to be right and so do the instructions for that year. Same thing with the correct blade case, loaded with the U2 dated BLADES of course.

I'd say if all that came together you'd have what you want. Can't be 100% of course, but the odds are good.

I'll post some pics of the cased one I have in a bit, along with the U2 blade I took out of the razor after buying it used. I'm sorry but it's not for sale at the moment. Still, the pics are always nice to see. This is the closest I've come to my birth razor, which is U3.

Martin

Last edited:
You can tell a NDC 48-49 from a NDC 50 razor but not a 48 from a 49.
(Images by mr-razor)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow!

Thanks, Tom, for the information!

I knew that my SS was from the 48-50 time period, but based upon the "PAT. NOS. ON PKG." on the base plate and the "teeth" on the safety bars, along with the no date code I now know that my SS is a 1950 model.

I always wondered about that!

Again, very informative post!

Happy New Year!

David

Top Bottom