What's new

Dash cams

Does the SD card have to be manually erased or does it start recording over previous data once full?

It automatically overwrites previous data. I think the one I have saves the files as 3 minute recordings. The exception is if you hit the emergency record button that file is locked and won’t be deleted. A decent sized sd card should hold quite a few hours of drive time though.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It automatically overwrites previous data. I think the one I have saves the files as 3 minute recordings. The exception is if you hit the emergency record button that file is locked and won’t be deleted. A decent sized sd card should hold quite a few hours of drive time though.
Thanks!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm glad to see folks understanding the value of dashcams. On the Tesla forum I follow, not too many days go by that someone doesn't post something from a dashcam. It's unfortunate, but there are a lot of unscrupulous persons out there looking to dodge responsibility or, even worse, pin their wrongdoing on you. I've seen plenty of cases where footage settled a question quickly and conclusively, sometimes right at the scene (Teslas can replay footage immediately on the screen in the car). There was even one case where someone held a car wash responsible for the damage they caused but then claimed was already there.

I've never had to depend on dashcam footage. Like any other insurance, I hope I never do, but it's nice knowing it's there.

I'm glad to see folks understanding the value of dashcams. On the Tesla forum I follow, not too many days go by that someone doesn't post something from a dashcam. It's unfortunate, but there are a lot of unscrupulous persons out there looking to dodge responsibility or, even worse, pin their wrongdoing on you. I've seen plenty of cases where footage settled a question quickly and conclusively, sometimes right at the scene (Teslas can replay footage immediately on the screen in the car). There was even one case where someone held a car wash responsible for the damage they caused but then claimed was already there.

I've never had to depend on dashcam footage. Like any other insurance, I hope I never do, but it's nice knowing it's there.

Yeah one other argument I’ve heard for cams besides the obvious video evidence provided, is corroborating or contradicting statements at a scene. IE if jerk guy who does something illegal and hits your car tries to blame you, pipe down and let him make his statement. Then he looks like a liar and completely unreliable party when you show the footage to the police/insurance and it tells a completely different story.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yeah one other argument I’ve heard for cams besides the obvious video evidence provided, is corroborating or contradicting statements at a scene. IE if jerk guy who does something illegal and hits your car tries to blame you, pipe down and let him make his statement. Then he looks like a liar and completely unreliable party when you show the footage to the police/insurance and it tells a completely different story.

From what I've seen, that often comes in handy when there's a dispute about who had a red light.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I suppose I don’t NEED a review camera. As someone else mentioned - If I get hit in the back IDK how it could be my fault. Unless I back in to someone, and I don’t want that footage :lol:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I suppose I don’t NEED a review camera. As someone else mentioned - If I get hit in the back IDK how it could be my fault. Unless I back in to someone, and I don’t want that footage :lol:

If you get hit from behind the forward facing camera should record would it not? That should show the direction you were traveling or if you were stationary before the impact I would have thought.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If you get hit from behind the forward facing camera should record would it not? That should show the direction you were traveling or if you were stationary before the impact I would have thought.

If someone were to hit the rear of your vehicle and then bug out, you may very well get a license plate number.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have a Garmin 45 dash cam in my semi truck. Per my insurance advisor I have the audio and speed indicator turned off. I like mine and use it mostly for capturing wildlife crossing in front of me and thankfully haven’t had any reportable traffic incidents yet.

From what I have read, night vision units aren’t any better than what a regular unit can record with your headlights. So I’m ok with that.

I tried a different Garmin for a week or two that required my smartphone for all interaction with the device and this proved to be a royal PITA. So back it went and I exchanged it for the 45 which I’m happy with.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Ordered this one - -

45B5D8DC-3677-4909-8B1E-3E559AF2A386.jpeg

Top Bottom