What's new

Darwin Models

I know there is a Darwin Deluxe and a Darwin Popular, I am a bit confused which is which, I have three different ones
PA010047.JPG

Appreciated reading this thread. I knew of the Wolfman Darwin handles but didn't know why they were named that. A forum search lead me to learn more about a rare razor I had never heard of.

For anyone like me, I'll save you a search:

Peter - Northstonehill, can you give some advice ?

Intrigued?

Thomas - Cha-wing!

where are all you Darwin Experts

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hello Di - I am for sure not an expert. But earlier I wrote the below post on the Popular.

As for what you have I do believe Adam (as always) is right :001_cool:

…And then you forget the unicorn, that both you and I hold the dearest: The Darwin ‘Original :001_wub:

DEE1B6D8-E898-453E-B965-B8760993B2D5.jpeg

I'm going to add to the confusion. I've seen differences between various Darwins which are on the surface, the same model.

Mine for example has a rounded bottom while other I've seen have faceted bottoms.

I've also seen pictures of handles that have rather deep cut outs while others are not particularly deep and look like they've been polished so that the edges are rather round.

The major models are the Standard and the Deluxe models, there are also some very early examples that have a somewhat different look, as well as an adjustable if memory serves. And in addition, not all Standards look the same, not all Deluxe models look the same, there are sometimes subtle and sometimes rather dramatic differences between them.

I don't know of any organized database that purports to list all of the variations. I just know that there are variations.

Last edited:
The adjustable one you are referring to is the Darwin Popular. It adjusts by tightening or loosening the handle. There is a little arrow indicator on the handle near the baseplate but no separate numbers to "dial" to. Made in Sheffield.

No idea how rare it is compared to the other models shown here. It is definitely not as sexy.
IMG_0657.JPG

The Popular is a lot rarer than the Deluxes. Guess not as many survived until today because of the more mundane looks. I have only counted a handful here and there online.

The adjustable one you are referring to is the Darwin Popular. It adjusts by tightening or loosening the handle. There is a little arrow indicator on the handle near the baseplate but no separate numbers to "dial" to. Made in Sheffield.

No idea how rare it is compared to the other models shown here. It is definitely not as sexy.
View attachment 1350538
Actually, the one that you are referring to in the photo above is the Popular; it is not considered "The Adjustable". Here is the Darwin Adjustable that I have that most people on this website refer to. For the Darwin Adjustable, the indicator arrow is at the neck of the razor and is adjusted by loosening or tightening the neck.
IMG_1252.jpeg

Ah, so there are 2 types of Darwin adjustable razors! I did not know that there was an adjustable version of the Darwin other than the Popular. Thanks for the additional info.

Depending on how much you tighten it the range is indicated by the position of the arrow between 2 notches on the neck of the handle. Is this the same type of adjustment as on the one you posted? Would love to see a pic if you have one.
IMG_2002.jpg

@Actor07. At first I didn't notice the grooves in the neck of your razor. Once zoomed in they are apparent. Both razors appear to share the same mechanism and markings for adjustment. Makes sense that the Darwin adjustable was probably made later in the history of the razor, prior to the Popular?

Btw I have tried tighter vs. looser but don't feel much difference.

Top Bottom