What's new

Darwin $406.00

hi all
the darwin that i have came in a blue box with a button to press to open .inside its the deluxe model .... colbalt.
rac.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
hi all
the darwin that i have came in a blue box with a button to press to open .inside its the deluxe model .... colbalt.
rac.

I borrowed this from alex2363...... we need pictures.

attachment.php

These are really neat old razors. Just received this one today.

[/IMG]

Ron

I stand to be corrected, but it looks to me like the set is missing the honing stone, shouldn't a stone line the top plate just like the strop lines the bottom?

Last edited by a moderator:
I really have no idea. No stone was included. You can reverse the strop from course on one side to fine on the other. Now I have to research that and try to find a hone if it is supposed to be there as both blades have a few small indentations in them. Certainly wouldn't try to shave with it as is. I haven't gotten any of my straights honed yet so I thought this razor would have a close approximation to a straight razor shave.

Ron

Intrigued

I stand to be corrected, but it looks to me like the set is missing the honing stone, shouldn't a stone line the top plate just like the strop lines the bottom?

I don't believe so. The bottom strop is 2 sided with a course and a fine side. The blade is stropped by pulling out the side of the "box" that you see on the right in the picture. When you reach the end of the travel and push it back in, the blade flips over and the other side of the blade is stropped. The strop plate releases with a lever and slides out from the left side of the "box" so that you turn it over. The top is basically just a lid that stores a spare blade.

I don't believe so. The bottom strop is 2 sided with a course and a fine side. The blade is stropped by pulling out the side of the "box" that you see on the right in the picture. When you reach the end of the travel and push it back in, the blade flips over and the other side of the blade is stropped. The strop plate releases with a lever and slides out from the left side of the "box" so that you turn it over. The top is basically just a lid that stores a spare blade.

I'm a bit surprised, the Rolls Razor system, which I understand Darwin more or less copied all have both hones and stropping leather. The top and the bottom of the boxes separate, one has a strop, the other has a hone. But truth be told, I've never seen a Darwin of this model.

Intrigued

I'm a bit surprised, the Rolls Razor system, which I understand Darwin more or less copied all have both hones and stropping leather. The top and the bottom of the boxes separate, one has a strop, the other has a hone. But truth be told, I've never seen a Darwin of this model.

I never really thought about it until you ask. I have that model Darwin and my husband has a couple of Rolls. The stone on the Rolls are prone to cracking in the middle if razor is not in exactly the right position when closing it. I'm guessing that the designers of the Darwin thought better of putting in a stone as long and narrow as that design would have called for.

This model Darwin, although a competitive product to the Rolls, never came with a hone. Only a two-sided (fine / coarse) built in strop.

Top Bottom