What's new

Darwin $406.00

Three observations:

Judging from photos on B&B, there are two different physical designs (shapes) not just two types of steel.

I have the one with no gap between the plate and the cap. It gives a moderately aggressive shave. Just a bit too harsh for me, so I rarely use it.

The Darwin is probably the most beautiful razor ever made but, somewhat surprisingly, is not all that comfortable to hold. Somehow, the bumps and hollows do not quite produce a shape that is easy to grasp.

Three observations:

Judging from photos on B&B, there are two different physical designs (shapes) not just two types of steel.

I have the one with no gap between the plate and the cap. It gives a moderately aggressive shave. Just a bit too harsh for me, so I rarely use it.

The Darwin is probably the most beautiful razor ever made but, somewhat surprisingly, is not all that comfortable to hold. Somehow, the bumps and hollows do not quite produce a shape that is easy to grasp.

Your right. One has a smooth rounded cap and the other has distinct straight edges, the cap is shaped like a hexagon but only half "3 sides" (if that makes sense).

The little Bijou model doesn't seem to have the same demand as the Deluxe. I guess whomsoever is buying the Darwin Deluxe's is using them. I always wanted one but I don't think I'll be able to afford one now. $406?!

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Three observations:

Here are some pictures of the Deluxe and Standard to compare the two. Because of the differences in the head designs the Deluxe holds a modern blade very tight, the standard is a little loose and you need to make sure it is lined up.

Darwin Deluxe on left and Standard on right
View attachment $Darwin Deluxe & Standard.jpg

Darwin Deluxe
Darwin Standard​
View attachment $Darwin Deluxe Pieces.jpg View attachment $Darwin Standard Pieces.jpg

Darwin Deluxe Head
Darwin Standard Head​
View attachment $Darwin Deluxe Head.jpg View attachment $Darwin Standard Head.jpg

Here are some pictures of the Deluxe and Standard to compare the two. Because of the differences in the head designs the Deluxe holds a modern blade very tight, the standard is a little loose and you need to make sure it is lined up.

Darwin Deluxe on left and Standard on right
View attachment 148006

Darwin Deluxe
Darwin Standard​
View attachment 148009 View attachment 148010

Darwin Deluxe Head
Darwin Standard Head​
View attachment 148007 View attachment 148008

Ahh, and this is where my other Darwin went. Which one did you get from me? I'm assuming the standard?

When I still used a DE the Darwin with a Shark SS or Iridium was my favorite setup. I think Israeli Personna's worked well too. It has been too long...

Intrigued

Ahh, and this is where my other Darwin went. Which one did you get from me? I'm assuming the standard?

When I still used a DE the Darwin with a Shark SS or Iridium was my favorite setup. I think Israeli Personna's worked well too. It has been too long...

Yes, The standard is the one I got from you. Have I said lately that I love the Darwins. :w00t:

Nice pics, Intrigued. It must be nice to have the Standard AND the Deluxe! My AD has moved on to the Eclipse Red Ring, now. I may still hunt down the Darwin Standard in a few years, though.

Intrigued

Nice pics, Intrigued. It must be nice to have the Standard AND the Deluxe! My AD has moved on to the Eclipse Red Ring, now. I may still hunt down the Darwin Standard in a few years, though.

Just wait until you shave with it, you are going to love your Darwin. Just remember it is a pretty aggressive razor.

Three observations:

Here you go.

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Great pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Am I right, the handle of both the Standard and the Deluxe are identical except for the embossing?

Intrigued

Great pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Am I right, the handle of both the Standard and the Deluxe are identical except for the embossing?

Yes, only the Standard has the embossing. I tried at one point to see if I could tell by weight if they were both cobalt steel, but decided because of the difference in head design there was no way to pin it down. I will say that there is enough wear and tear on the Standard that I would be willing to swear that it's not plated. As far as the actual color of the steel in the Standard and Deluxe they look the same.

Last edited:
Yes, only the Standard has the embossing. I tried at one point to see if I could tell by weight if they were both cobalt steel, but decided because of the difference in head design there was no way to pin it down. I will say that there is enough wear and tear on the Standard that I would be willing to swear that it's not plated. As far as the actual color of the steel in the Standard and Deluxe they look the same.

I would think it was the Deluxe that was embossed. Mine is a Standard and the handle isn't embossed.

Intrigued

I would think it was the Deluxe that was embossed. Mine is a Standard and the handle isn't embossed.
Interesting! My Deluxe is pretty minty so I don't think the handle was ever swapped. I wonder if the embossing was a change made during the years that the razors were manufactured???

Here is the Deluxe in its case next to a Bijou
View attachment 148031

Last edited:
Interesting! My Deluxe is pretty minty so I don't think the handle was ever swapped. I wonder if the embossing was a change made during the years that the razors were manufactured???

That certainly could be the case. Products are changed from time to time.

Does the embossing on the handle say "Colbalt Steel" or does it say Sheffield.

If it says cobalt, I would think that it might well belong to the Deluxe.

Nope, no embossing on mine aside from the semi-circular text under the head that says "Patent Cobalt Steel" on one side and something like "Darwin LTD Sheffield England" on the other. It's not in front of me at the moment, so that wording probably isn't exact.

Intrigued

That certainly could be the case. Products are changed from time to time.

Does the embossing on the handle say "Colbalt Steel" or does it say Sheffield.

If it says cobalt, I would think that it might well belong to the Deluxe.

No, it says 'DARWINS LD, SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND' and it's definitely the handle that came with the Standard I bought from Joe. It looks like someone at some point used the bottom of the handle like a hammer it has dimples in it. That's why I'm sure it's not plated. :tongue_sm

No, it says 'DARWINS LD, SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND' and it's definitely the handle that came with the Standard I bought from Joe. It looks like someone at some point used the bottom of the handle like a hammer it has dimples in it. That's why I'm sure it's not plated. :tongue_sm

I've no doubt whatsoever that they're not plated. That's one of the things that makes them so special.

From what I can gather, and that's from the catalog I found and posted above, the Art-Deco razors, both the Standard and the Deluxe model are stainless steel.

It seems that the Deluxe model was also stamped under the head with the word "cobalt". I have a notion that both razors were cobalt steel simply because it would have made no sense for Darwin to have used different metals with all the technical problems that would have caused them in the manufacture of the items.

Also, I should note that my carton of Darwin blades says "cobalt high speed steel". You may also be able to see that the picture of the blade posted above also says "cobalt". It seems to actually say "cobalt chrome steel"

And so, I'm about as sure as one can be that Darwin used cobalt steel for both the Standard and the Deluxe razor.

I'm now wondering whether you may have a rather unique handle there. It may be that the embossed handles are more rare than the non-embossed. My Standard handle is certainly not embossed.

Last edited:

Intrigued

I've no doubt whatsoever that they're not plated. That's one of the things that makes them so special.

From what I can gather, and that's from the catalog I found and posted above, the Standards are stainless steel and the Deluxes are cobalt steel.

I'm now wondering whether you may have a rather unique handle there. It may be that the embossed handles are more rare than the non-embossed.

If you look at the catalog closely you'll see that they call all their DE razors stainless steel except for the 'Popular' which they say is chromium plated. The reason we know about the Deluxe being cobalt steel is because it's on the blade guard. I'm not convinced that they all aren't cobalt steel. It would be nice if they were. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom