What's new

Dart, Karve OC or Game Changer OC?

I own both the Blackbird and Dart as well... the Dart does feel more aggressive to me

The Dart is incredible.
I've been reading about the DART
Since it's release and after watching
About 3 hours of YouTube and Web
Video reviews and reading analysis &
Opinions on various different forums
I decided that I love the appearance
Of the very stylish heavily polished
Option it really is a work of art very
Rich and luxurious in stature and
Seems well positioned at the top of
It's class/price range.
My research is complete and yesterday
I ordered the DART with the polished
Finish..

I've been reading about the DART
Since it's release and after watching
About 3 hours of YouTube and Web
Video reviews and reading analysis &
Opinions on various different forums
I decided that I love the appearance
Of the very stylish heavily polished
Option it really is a work of art very
Rich and luxurious in stature and
Seems well positioned at the top of
It's class/price range.
My research is complete and yesterday
I ordered the DART with the polished
Finish..
Congrats on purchasing a new Dart! Please give us a review once you receive the Dart. I watched a funny comparison video of the Dart vs Muhle Rocca by Kevy Shaves just the other day. Have a Great Shave!

So my answer to my original question is now both the GC Open Comb (I ordered the baseplate only version today) and the Rocca (on its way from England). Somehow the right answer on these forums always seems to have the word "both" in it.

So my answer to my original question is now both the GC Open Comb (I ordered the baseplate only version today) and the Rocca (on its way from England). Somehow the right answer on these forums always seems to have the word "both" in it.
Both is always the answer on B&B. :a29:
Congrats on the Rocca and Oc GC. I can’t wait to get my OC .84 razor,should have it soon!

Well, my next razor is going to the birch handled Rocca. I was looking at it on my laptop, debating with myself whether to buy it, and I asked my wife what she thought. She said, "If you want it, just buy it. We're not getting any younger and we can certainly afford it." So with that, I put in the order.
Now that's what I call a real kool story.

This is what makes the world go round, and the reason there's more than one razor out there. Carry on!
Yep it's what makes the world go round
And it moved me right on around to
Ordering one yesterday, this razor has
Been on my list from the very beginning.
So at those what I consider bargain
Prices , I splurged and ordered the
Polished version, on YouTube the
Camera work allowed me to get a
Very good look at both finishes and
By all appearances both are high quality
Finishes. I am a collector at heart as
Well as a shave enthusiast so
The polished version was a must for
My collection. So in a couple of days
I shall make world history by unraveling
The DART mystery once and for all.

Last edited:
Alright guys. I'm going to pop in and explain some things regarding my aggressiveness rating. The first thing is that I hate the term aggressiveness. It's truly terrible. It's meant to describe both efficiency and comfort/safety with one metric. And it always fails. For example, the Blackbird isn't very harsh or likely to nick, but it has high blade exposure and is extremely efficient. So does it get a 10 for being efficient or a 3 for being safe and comfortable? 7 is chosen somewhat arbitrarily because it suggests high efficiency without ripping off your face. The term also has an implied third factor - ease of use. Aggressive razors are generally thought to be more difficult to use.

Now, you're obviously wondering why I use a term that is useless and that I hate. The reason is momentum. It's become the go-to term in wet shaving and, like it or not, it's here to stay. I may revise my scale to become two scales (comfort and efficiency), but that requires educating the community and one number is easier for most people. So I go with the flow.

The second thing about the scale is that it's meant to be a local relative scale for comparing only Blackland razors. A razor like the Sabre L2 that scores a 5 on my scale doesn't necessarily mean it's an average razor compared to every other razor on the planet. It just means that it's milder than the Blackbird and Dart, but more aggressive than the Sabre L1. And, again, it's arbitrary.

On to the Dart. The Blackbird requires a lot more focus and attention to get the angle right, but it rewards you with extremely efficient shaves when you get it right. The Dart is a razor that I can whip across my face with my eyes closed and I've never been bitten by it. Seriously. Testers had similar experiences. So the Blackbird is more difficult to use well which gives it a higher implied rating on the aggressiveness scale. The Dart isn't angle-sensitive so it's easier to use and gets a lower rating.

I'm constantly shocked by the reports of people finding it highly aggressive. It's really not, in my opinion. And that's the final issue with the scale - its subjectivity. There's no way around this one. What's aggressive to you may not be aggressive to me. So I have to go with what I think is reasonable, pretty accurate, and will help sell razors. I do this knowing full well that most people will disagree with the number no matter what I choose due to the subjectivity of razors. That's just how it goes.

For those who find it aggressive, I recommend a steep angle (ride the safety bar) to temper things. Essentially you're lifting the blade back which effectively reduces the implied blade exposure. You can go more shallow to lower the blade and give you the feel of a higher exposure and more aggressiveness. This ability to vary the aggressiveness is part of why it gets a 6.

This post was rambling, admittedly, but I hope it helps.

:thumbup::thumbup:
Alright guys. I'm going to pop in and explain some things regarding my aggressiveness rating. The first thing is that I hate the term aggressiveness. It's truly terrible. It's meant to describe both efficiency and comfort/safety with one metric. And it always fails. For example, the Blackbird isn't very harsh or likely to nick, but it has high blade exposure and is extremely efficient. So does it get a 10 for being efficient or a 3 for being safe and comfortable? 7 is chosen somewhat arbitrarily because it suggests high efficiency without ripping off your face. The term also has an implied third factor - ease of use. Aggressive razors are generally thought to be more difficult to use.

Now, you're obviously wondering why I use a term that is useless and that I hate. The reason is momentum. It's become the go-to term in wet shaving and, like it or not, it's here to stay. I may revise my scale to become two scales (comfort and efficiency), but that requires educating the community and one number is easier for most people. So I go with the flow.

The second thing about the scale is that it's meant to be a local relative scale for comparing only Blackland razors. A razor like the Sabre L2 that scores a 5 on my scale doesn't necessarily mean it's an average razor compared to every other razor on the planet. It just means that it's milder than the Blackbird and Dart, but more aggressive than the Sabre L1. And, again, it's arbitrary.

On to the Dart. The Blackbird requires a lot more focus and attention to get the angle right, but it rewards you with extremely efficient shaves when you get it right. The Dart is a razor that I can whip across my face with my eyes closed and I've never been bitten by it. Seriously. Testers had similar experiences. So the Blackbird is more difficult to use well which gives it a higher implied rating on the aggressiveness scale. The Dart isn't angle-sensitive so it's easier to use and gets a lower rating.

I'm constantly shocked by the reports of people finding it highly aggressive. It's really not, in my opinion. And that's the final issue with the scale - its subjectivity. There's no way around this one. What's aggressive to you may not be aggressive to me. So I have to go with what I think is reasonable, pretty accurate, and will help sell razors. I do this knowing full well that most people will disagree with the number no matter what I choose due to the subjectivity of razors. That's just how it goes.

For those who find it aggressive, I recommend a steep angle (ride the safety bar) to temper things. Essentially you're lifting the blade back which effectively reduces the implied blade exposure. You can go more shallow to lower the blade and give you the feel of a higher exposure and more aggressiveness. This ability to vary the aggressiveness is part of why it gets a 6.

Very nice. You can ramble like that for me anytime. Thanks.

Yes your post is a tremendous help to
Me at just the right time, I just ordered
The DART a few days ago. And now
That I understand your somewhat
Unusual formula for crunching the
Numbers ,I'm a lot less confused by
By the Polar opposites I get as soon as
I Mention the DART, knowing what I
Know now, there is no way in the world
I was going to make any sense out of
Those ratings without the key to that formula.
Very interesting indeed.

Thank you for the clarification! It is an interesting topic. Indeed, it's difficult to describe a multivariable field with a single metric. With 30 days return period, the buyer can judge for oneself.

Your Welcome, yes I can discern no difference in the shaving dynamics between two version heads. Once the head is ok from a QC point of view you should be alright.
It arrived today and is indeed the new version. One quick question: is there anything special I should do to protect the handle? I’ve had wooden handle razors and brushes, but this is seemingly unfinished and I am not sure what, if anything, I should put on it.

It arrived today and is indeed the new version. One quick question: is there anything special I should do to protect the handle? I’ve had wooden handle razors and brushes, but this is seemingly unfinished and I am not sure what, if anything, I should put on it.

Excellent news Steve!. So far I have not felt the need to give any special care to the birch bark handle. It is indeed treated so can stand up to some water when shaving and retains it color. I just make sure to wipe it down after use and that no cream/soap residue remains on the razor handle before I put it away.

Top Bottom