What's new

Dart, Karve OC or Game Changer OC?

Lately I've been using my SE razors most of the time, but my Game Changer .84 is still used regularly. It is an almost perfect DE for me, but it is not quite as efficient as I'd like and not quite as efficient as my SE razors (MMOC, RazoRock Hawk and Supply injector). So I'm looking for a step up in efficiency from the GC, but not something so aggressive that I cannot use it daily. For example, I failed with the Fatip OC. I got a great shave but the next day's shave usually produced some irritation on my neck.

If Italian Barber sold just the baseplate for the GC OC, that would be my obvious choice. And I don't want to spend over $100 so that eliminates many of the "high end" DE razors. For those of you who have used more than one of the three above, how would you compare them? Or is there something else in the under $100 DE category that you would recommend?

If you like the MMOC then you like very efficient. I have The MMOC, R41 and Karve OC E plate. I also have a Fatip OC and an Old Type. I use all of these on modern titanium handles. The MMOC is open comb, and if you like that look for DE open combs. The Fatip and Gillette Old Type are about the same efficiency. You may just have had one bad shave - I would try again and play with blade and soap choices. I'd recommend Gillete Silver Blue blades as dependably sharp and smooth.

Of all my razors above, I use the R41 and Karve E OC the most. Hard to choose - both excellent. I'd recommend both, and if the MMOC works for you I'd expect you to be able to learn to have trouble free shaves with either. The reward is exceptionally close shaves and a nice smooth face.

Definitely try Rockwell ...

TAM
I had a Rockwell 6C for quite a while, but I found that the Game Changer shaved just as close and was much more maneuverable around my face and neck so I sold the Rockwell. I have a preference for razors with a small profile. I also used a Merkur Progress for a year or so, but I never appreciated the bulky size of the head.

If you like the MMOC then you like very efficient. I have The MMOC, R41 and Karve OC E plate. I also have a Fatip OC and an Old Type. I use all of these on modern titanium handles. The MMOC is open comb, and if you like that look for DE open combs. The Fatip and Gillette Old Type are about the same efficiency. You may just have had one bad shave - I would try again and play with blade and soap choices. I'd recommend Gillete Silver Blue blades as dependably sharp and smooth.

Of all my razors above, I use the R41 and Karve E OC the most. Hard to choose - both excellent. I'd recommend both, and if the MMOC works for you I'd expect you to be able to learn to have trouble free shaves with either. The reward is exceptionally close shaves and a nice smooth face.
I had two Fatip OC's for quite a while but could never use them consistently without irritating my neck. All of the horror stories have scared me away from the R41. I figured that if I couldn't adjust to the Fatip OC, I wouldn't be able to use the R41 comfortably either. Maybe I need to re-think that assumption.

I had two Fatip OC's for quite a while but could never use them consistently without irritating my neck. All of the horror stories have scared me away from the R41. I figured that if I couldn't adjust to the Fatip OC, I wouldn't be able to use the R41 comfortably either. Maybe I need to re-think that assumption.

Does your neck get irritated by too many strokes? If that's the case, the R41 cuts closer in less strokes. Could also be not getting the pressure or the angle right - even experienced shavers may not be 100% optimal, though you'd expect them to be in the ball park.

I think the Dart is easily the best sub-$100 razor out there. Very efficient. It also comes with a money back guarantee, so you really have nothing to lose by trying it.

For reference, I also own the Game Changer and Karve

Does your neck get irritated by too many strokes? If that's the case, the R41 cuts closer in less strokes. Could also be not getting the pressure or the angle right - even experienced shavers may not be 100% optimal, though you'd expect them to be in the ball park.
As with many others, I have one area that is particularly sensitive and easily irritated. Even though I've been shaving for over 50 years (with only 5 years or so using cartridges), I think I miss the proper angle with some razors like the Fatip. I can't say why, but I can zip around my face with the Game Changer .84 or shave pretty quickly with my MMOC but couldn't get along with the Fatip OC.

I think the Dart is easily the best sub-$100 razor out there. Very efficient. It also comes with a money back guarantee, so you really have nothing to lose by trying it.

I'm afraid if I don't like it, I'll wind up returning it and shelling out another $100 for the Vector, or maybe the Blackbird.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
If you don’t mind some blade feel, I highly recommend the Blackbird. You could probably post a WTB and get one for under $100.

I like blade feel and can use the Ikon Tech daily. I pif'd the Karve F SB as I found the GC SB more maneuverable and almost as smooth with almost the blade feel. The Dart and Rocca are a step up in blade feel and efficiency. Waiting on the Jaws to show up.

Me too, and the Dart is my favorite of the 3. That said, be careful with it. It's very easy to cut yourself if you use the wrong angle on this razor. It requires attention, but it rewards equally with great shaves.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
If you like the GC and call it almost perfect DE for you but you would like to be a little more efficient, it's a no brainier to me. The open comb .84 Game Changer $67 and same comfortable shave but with a more efficient results.
But like everything is going to be personal
Like some of the other guys love the Dart, I used one for a time and didn't care for the shave at all. The Rockwell is another Razor that others love ,not me . Just didn't like the shave or the look of it at all. But that's what makes the world go round and round. I used the open comb Game Changer today and I still feel smooth and out of the others mentioned it is the least money. And the fit and finish looks like a much more expensive razor. It's the one on the right
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190719092109804_COVER.jpg

Graydog

Biblical Innards
If you like the GC and call it almost perfect DE for you but you would like to be a little more efficient, it's a no brainier to me. The open comb .84 Game Changer $67 and same comfortable shave but with a more efficient results.
But like everything is going to be personal
Like some of the other guys love the Dart, I used one for a time and didn't care for the shave at all. The Rockwell is another Razor that others love ,not me . Just didn't like the shave or the look of it at all. But that's what makes the world go round and round. I used the open comb Game Changer today and I still feel smooth and out of the others mentioned it is the least money. And the fit and finish looks like a much more expensive razor. It's the one on the rightView attachment 1000399
The Handle is a RazoRock Halo SS

I’d wait for the release of the Stirling DE razor it’s efficiency is in the range of the Wolfman WR2 1.35 or Ikon Tech

If you don’t mind some blade feel, I highly recommend the Blackbird. You could probably post a WTB and get one for under $100.
+1 I Highly Recommend the Blackbird. Very smooth and efficient, more efficient and blade feel than the GC.84, but less maneuverable.I haven’t used the Dart, but it looks very solid as well, maybe even more aggressive than the Blackbird(the Blackland site says the Blackbird is a 7, Dart is a 6 on the aggressive scale).

Top Bottom