What's new

Darn Tough Socks?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
5C897F58-AEDA-4FB6-A8E9-1EC97E86ABBE.jpeg6408DCC6-24CC-410A-8D78-AE614B623507.jpeg50B78F1A-C949-4A8A-A9A7-AE5A710A47F4.jpeg
I still darn my socks with my Grandmothers darning spool. Great bit of kit.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Chalk me up to a Darn Tough believer. I’ve been wearing them exclusively for over 3 years. What I mean by “exclusively” is I absolutely do not wear any other socks on my feet other than Darn Tough. I have everything from the knee highs to the no-show socks. Ultra-thin and full cushion. I love them all and as long as they are making socks I will never need to wear another brand.

I can’t speak to the guarantee though as I have never used it. However, their customer service is awesome. They sent me the wrong size once and I wrote them and they promptly sent me the correct size and told me to keep the wrong one.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I have used their guarantee once in the six years I have used them. They replaced 8 pairs of socks that wore out at the heel and ball of the foot. No questions asked. Socks went back and I received the replacemet. Im a steadfast supporter of Darn Tough.

My wife wears darn tough and likes them. I wear Thorlo and haven’t worn a pair out yet - lots of miles on some of them. Close to $15 a pair but they last “forever”.

Are these zulu by balega? I was Just looking at this company on a sock site to replace my own socks recently...

I wanted to follow up on this. I did end up ordering the Zulu's by Balega. They arrived yesterday, and I did a quick comparison with my much older pairs. The general design appears different, as the new socks have much more padding. I honestly can't recall if the original pair had padding that has since worn down or not. The stitching, from what I could tell to the naked eye, looked equally good. But so did the stitching on the super cheap Puma socks I also ordered. Obviously, time will be the ultimate judge here. I'm not sure my memory will be good enough to provide an update when enough has passed.

I will say that if the Zulu's aren't the same, my next purchase will be darn tough. And as my taller "winter" socks may be starting to wear out now...I may be purchasing some DTs to replace those anyway.

Well like all the other threads here, I ended up ordering 4 pair of Darn Tough Hunter calf length socks. 2 pair for the Miss and I.i needed a couple high pair at work due to my muck boots rubbing my calf's raw. They are very well made, not as thick as I expected but pretty thick. Very tightly woven compared to my other socks. By far the most I have ever spent on socks lol.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I have used their guarantee once in the six years I have used them. They replaced 8 pairs of socks that wore out at the heel and ball of the foot. No questions asked. Socks went back and I received the replacemet. Im a steadfast supporter of Darn Tough.

How long did it take? I returned some a month or so ago but I suspect Covid-19 delays may be happening . . . and I'm working with the Canadian return branch . . . and well .

Since I started this thread, I reserve the right to bring it back from the dead. :)
Since starting this, I can say that the newer Zulu socks have NOT held up as well as my earlier pair. I lost one pretty quick.
I also received a few pairs of darn tough crew length socks. Which have been great - until this morning when I noticed a hole in the ball of one of my socks. Looks like I'm looking into that lifetime guarantee thing. Will let you know how that experience goes...

I use them regularly on heavy hiking trips. The lady wears them all the time in addition to doing winter sports. She has used the lifetime warranty a couple times and the exchanges have been easy-peasy.
I beat the tar out of mine, and just buy new ones as I feel I've gotten more wear and tear than what is expected for a pair of socks.

I've used the lifetime guarantee at least two times. No problem whatsoever. A bit of patience is helpful, it's a fair turnaround time, but it's not lightening speed.

I took a pair of Darn Toughs along with 2 other brands to Italy in May when I did my trek. I averaged about 18 miles a day. The Darn Toughs were not the most comfortable but not bad and I did get black toenails in them one day. The other brands were Injinji (toe socks, not impressed) and Fits. The Fits were the best of the three for comfort and blister protection.

This is interesting timing as I put a few pairs in the cart last night while I think about it(wait for billing cycle actually). I have been wearing Injinji for over a decade and they aren't making my favourite wool dress socks this year. Yes they get holes, but I love them too much to care. Thanks for reviving this thread, I think I will give them a try.

(I was very close to going back to Smartwool, but they have burnt me several times over two decades)

SO....full circle. I was awarded the warranty claim on the pair of socks I sent in. I did end up having to email the customer service address, as I never saw the code come in. I did look through my spam/junk, but didn't see it there either. Regardless, I was given a code along with a "walkthrough" of how to ensure I was able to enter the code. Basically, if you use "express checkout", it bypasses the opportunity to enter discount codes. The replacement socks came in yesterday and are on my feet today. So...slight hassle, but it works.

I'm in need of some new "athletic" socks. To be honest, I'm not an overly athletic person, but not sure what else to call them. Anyway, I typically get the big bag o' Hanes and call it a day. BUT, I have 2 pair of "running socks" I picked up many moons ago when I thought running was a good idea. Those same socks are with me today, and show no signs of damage. I do wear them frequently, as they are very comfortable. Of course, despite having the name on the toes (Zulu), I cannot locate the same socks anywhere.

I've heard of the "Darn Tough" socks with their lifetime guarantee. Of course, they are quite pricey too. Has anyone actually used these and can verify the guarantee/durability of the socks? Or any experience with something perhaps similar where socks aren't wearing out so quickly?

If it matters, I typically wear the socks out under the ball of my feet. This is not a "trim your toenails more often" situation. :)
Darn Tough are solid, durable socks. You can often find them on discount at Marshall's or TJ Maxx.

I just ordered my first pair of Daen Rough, after discussion in a separate Sock thread. Who knew socks were such a hot topic on a shave forum.

I ordered a pair of Crew with cushion. I'll try them out for size and winter trail running. I usually wear crazy colored socks for winter trail running as they are covered but easy to find and match in my drawer. Plus, it's a trail running thing apparently and I lt looks like DT has many patterns to order.

If they work out, I have some shorter ones in my cart I'll order and slowly start replacing my 6pk Puma and Fila Costco socks. I wear short socks (up to ankle) all year round as well as for running. I don't wear long socks outside of running.

Darn Tough Men's Element Crew Lightweight with Cushion Sock (Style 1103) - Amazon.ca - https://a.co/d/4qYDgEv

Top Bottom