What's new

Dark & Stormy

Started drinking the Dark & Stormy 30+ years ago on my honeymoon to Bermuda. The classic recipe uses Goslings Black Rum, Ginger Beer (not ale) and a twist of lime. I add a dash of orange bitters and use lemon instead of lime. My choice of Belvoir Ginger Beer (which contains lemon juice) adds a sharp jolt of ginger that's on the edge of fiery and cuts the sweetness of the rum.

$FullSizeRender.jpg$FullSizeRender.jpg

I drank Dark & Stormies the entire week I was on St. John (USVI) this past summer. Great memories. You may have inspired me to make my own!

Yes, one of my favourites. I also use Goslings Black Seal.

The local ginger beer is Crabbie's, I also add acouple of drops of orange bitters from Dillons, a local distiller.

I usually drink Dark & Stormy with Gosling's and Gosling's ginger beer but, I picked up Bundaberg and ****'n Bull ginger beers at World Market this weekend and found them both enjoyable. Bundaberg also makes a Lemon Lime & Bitters that mixes well with Gosling's. I will have to look around for the Belvior and the orange bitters, thanks for the tip.

I usually drink Dark & Stormy with Gosling's and Gosling's ginger beer but, I picked up Bundaberg and ****'n Bull ginger beers at World Market this weekend and found them both enjoyable. Bundaberg also makes a Lemon Lime & Bitters that mixes well with Gosling's. I will have to look around for the Belvior and the orange bitters, thanks for the tip.
Both of those Ginger Beers are excellent! Isn't World Market wonderful?

I'll be right over.
:thumbup:

One of my all time favorite mine drinks!!

Gosling's is the only rum for these in my opinion. By the way, Face&Head it's been a long time since I've seen one of your posts!

I'm a rum guy but have never (to my knowledge) had Goslings.
For a Dark and Stormy, I usually use Old Tyme Jamaican Ginger Beer. It has no alcohol, but a good smack of spicy ginger that I like. Going to have to grab some Goslings rum on the way home from work tonight and see if they have any Goslings Ginger Beer as well (this is an alcohol ginger beer, right?).

Goslings Ginger Beer as well (this is an alcohol ginger beer, right?).

No, the only Goslings I've seen is non-alcoholic. Crabbie's is the only alcoholic one I've seen in the US or Canada. There of course may be other small craft producers I'm unaware of who make it. I did see another one in Scotland but can't remember the name. If you enjoy the spicy kick of ginger I'd stick with the Old Tyme Jamaican or if you see it, the Belvoir I mentioned."Q", which is excellent, is another choice. Goslings is traditional and very good although on the milder side.

Top Bottom