What's new

Dark Stag DE razor: a Sally Beauty Exclusive

I was going though the online catalog for Sally Beauty and saw this:
dark stag DE razor.jpg

Anybody familiar with this?

Dark Stag is a UK-based company. Not sure where the razors are manufactured. The black and gold model is a Sally Beauty exclusive. The handle alone makes me want to try it. I may have to run over to my nearest one and see if they have one in stock.

I had a Sally Razor for several year that I used to shave in the shower. It was a basic TTO type. The TTO froze up and I broke it by turning too hard. When I consider that I shave with a 1947 Super Speed at times that cost less than $10, the Sally wouldn’t even be a consideration now.

I would try if it was cheap. Like $10. Surely it's a knock off like most house brands. The handle does look nice as long as it has a little weight to it. I'll have a look at my local Sally's and see if it's on the shelf.

I bought this razor online and quickly returned it. Pictures looked good but the actual razor had chips on the solid bar and the cap edges felt unfinished. If you see one in store, make sure to inspect it out completely for problems with the razor head and cap.

Haven’t seen this one, but there are a fair few Merkur clones on eBay that often have a nice handle. I have had a few of those - usually bought just for the handle, but some do shave quite nicely.

I’m traveling and left my razor home, taking a Gillette Guard with me instead. I’m going to be away longer than expected so picked this up in desperation for a decent shave when the Huard got dull.

The handle is weighty and nicely knurled, but the matte black finish seems to be thin or rubbing off in spots already. The head looks like a generic copy of a Merkur. The bottom is matte black and a bit crude, the top plate is gold and a little rough on the underside. Not what I hoped for at $35 US, it is what it is.

That said, the blade did seat well and evenly. I’ll shave with it in the morning and let you know. They only had Derby blades, should be interesting on many levels.

Scott

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Like a lot of cheaper razors these days they look pretty good in a photo but when you get it in your hands you are disappointed.

I picked one up shortly after my initial post and concur with those that bemoan the finish of the Dark Stag. Yet the tolerances are good and I found it a mild shaver. Really like the handle and it's currently attached to Muhle R41 head.

So first shave today.

The good:
This is a perfectly fine razor, right in line with an EJ89 or standard Merkur. It shaved well even with a Derby blade which is definitely not my favorite. The blade sits evenly and it’s just a pleasant shave. The handle is heavy with a deep knurl. It’s notably heavier than my daily use EJ89.

The bad:
As I mentioned, the castings are passable but not great. The base plate is ok, the top plate is a bit rough in the underside; it looks ok when put together. The matte black finish has some thin areas near edges and on the knurl.

Overall, a good shaving razor with nice heft and a few minor flaws in the castings and finish.

Scott

Wandering through Sally Beauty Supply yesterday, I found them on close-out at $2.50. Figuring that at worst I'd wind up with a black anodized steel handle, I grabbed one. I agree with @Ducati Scotty regarding the finish on the head, and the knurling. Right now, I just started the Vintage/Modern Astra SS Challenge PIF, so it'll be a while before I get a chance to try it out.

It's made in Pakistan, and Dark Stag says the head is made from a nickel alloy. Googleing nickel alloys, I don't see any mention of zinc. Googleing zamak, I don't see any mention of nickel. Could this mean the head will be more durable that the usual zamak head?

It's made in Pakistan, and Dark Stag says the head is made from a nickel alloy....Could this mean the head will be more durable that the usual zamak head?

If it's nickel, I would think so. But I don't know if that's the case. I don't recall ever seeing another razor claiming to have a nickel alloy head.

As for my use, I have the handle paired with the gold-colored head of a ball end tech. Shaves well. I always thought the ball end handle was too thin and prone to slippage in my hand. Perhaps I'll try the Dark Stag head with the tech handle.

If it's nickel, I would think so. But I don't know if that's the case. I don't recall ever seeing another razor claiming to have a nickel alloy head.

I'm somewhat skeptical as well. But that is the claim.
Different handle, but it looks like the same head.

I also picked up one of these today for $2.50. No way is the head a nickel alloy. It's way too light, and you wouldn't plate it with cheap gold or paint it black, you'd buff it, or maybe heat treat it to get a cool rainbow effect. I would know, I design things out of Inconel 625 at work. Now nickel plated, that I'd believe. Nickel plated Zamak.

Since I only bought it for the handle, I sacrificed the head in the name of science. Put it in the vise, it shattered with a light hammer tap. Put a drop of battery acid on it, it foamed and reacted vigorously. It’s Zamak. You can see even prior to it’s destruction how poor the finish was.

But I did pick up some Personna Lab Blues while I was there, never tried those before. So not a total loss.

0A7C4236-424C-4818-9B83-8E7B1FACFB58.jpeg

C297ADA9-27F9-4B9F-98B2-708860C536E6.jpeg

Top Bottom