What's new

Dark 'N' Stormy

Anyone tried some Crabbies Ginger Beer to make a D&S? It's 4.8 percent alcohol so it won't make a crazy-strong drink. It was recommended to me by an Indian friend and it took me awhile to find it. I'm about to mix one up for my pre-shave cocktail and I must say it has a nice gingery aroma.

$IMG_3170.jpg

$IMG_3174.jpg

And to think all this time, I believed that a "Dark & Stormy" was a Sailor Jerry with coke over ice and lime juice. That looks much better!

Legion

Staff member
Bunderburg rum make a Dark and Stormy pre-mixed in a can. I would drink it when I worked in a bar in Queensland, where Rum and coke are the mixed drink of choice. I was finding the caffeine in the Coke was keeping me awake at night so I switched to ginger beer. S'ok.

I've never heard of a dark and stormy. It sounds great. What is the ratio? Is it just ginger beer and dark rum?

1 part dark rum (traditionally Gosling's Black Seal) to 3 parts Ginger Beer (Ginger Ale is not a good substitute). I usually add the juice from half a squeezed lime.

Great to learn about new twists to one of my favorite cocktails.

I have been using Maine Root Ginger Brew (available at Whole Foods) because it has a delightfully intense ginger bite, but I will keep an eye out for Crabbies as well

A jigger of Goslings, a half wheel of lime and ginger brew - repeat as necessary

Bunderburg rum make a Dark and Stormy pre-mixed in a can.

Do they still make it? We used to buy it in bottles somewhere back in the deep, dark mid-or even early-90s. A couple of "clubs" had it on tap from memory. A sort of primordial pre-mix. I haven't seen it in years...

Bundaberg ginger beer makes a great D&S. Add a squeeze of lime to freshen it up. Interesting variations* are a Moscow (vodka instead of rum) or Kentucky Mule (bourbon and ginger beer).

* Wasn't Mule Variations the title of a Tom Waits album from the 90s? I wonder if there is a connection...

I use goslings gb. I want to try Old Tyme ginger beer in a dark n stormy but I think it's only available in Canada. I also add a few dashes of bitters in mine. Ice, gb, lime, bitters, and then I float the rum on top. Garnish w/ lime wheel. Stir before drinking!

I used **** and Bull in my dark and stormy's and my moscow mules but it was about all I could get in South Dakota. I haven't looked to see what I can get around here. I much prefer a mule over a stormy but that is me. :)

Just had these for the first time this weekend. A friend was introduced to them on one of several trips to Bermuda and I had been wanting to try it anyway. He found Barritts near our house and it was that and Goslings.

Wow. I usually drink craft beer or whiskey, but that was a good drink. I really like ginger anyway, so I guess it makes sense. Great for the summer!

Top Bottom