What's new

Dark Holler Design Works preview

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Thanks! Saved me from reading every post in the thread while working. :001_smile

I need to decide on a couple of brushes to sell...

Mine PK-47 in Ivory arrived today !! :a47: Thank you Ken and Lee ! :001_cool:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm definitely hoping to land an ivory PK-47. I like them all, but the ivory looks incredible. And I imagine photos are only hinting at how amazing it looks in person.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Anyone else obsessively checking this thread to see if the brushes have arrived from England yet?

They are finally en route. We'll see if they encounter any further adventures on the way. This has been a little like the Iliad and the Odyssey. The brushes have been off cavorting in a distant land. Now they are returning home. As I recall, the Iliad spanned about 20 years and the Odyssey 10. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm currently catching up emails. Within the next day or two I'll send off one to all on the list. I hate mass mailings, but there's no good alternative in the circumstances.

Sorry for the long absence. I spent the week between the holidays and including New Year's Day with my family in Steamboat Springs, CO. Didn't really want to post about that while we were gone. As soon as we returned, I was just about completely absorbed by an inter-term teaching commitment. Now I'm finally catching myself back up on this front.

FWIW, Dark Holler Design Works hasn't been standing still. We booked our first sales in England, Spain, Portugal, and Sweden just before the end of the year. And we added a Trotec Speedy 300 laser-engraver/cutter and upgraded air-handling/filtering equipment to the shop.

I've also been chipping away at a stack of 84 Chief work-pieces cut from a variety of materials, about 3/4 of which are now turned and in various stages of polishing. Not quite as many PK-47 work-pieces are waiting their turns. And we have a bunch of large-diameter rod laid out and read to be cut into Chubby work-pieces.

This has been a trial. But that's what it was intended to be. We've learned a lot. We're still learning. But we've also made considerable strides. Thanks again to all for the support and patience. I haven't had this much fun for time out of mind. It's also a just little scary.

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Sorry, I guess what I meant was....Are you going to start "Engraving" your brushes with "Paladin" and "Super Badger" etc, as opposed to the ink screening or whatever method is used now?

Sorry. Yes, that's the plan. The first batch was pad-printed. They look very, very nice. But printing isn't as permanent as engraving. And laser engraving will give us more rapidly executable creative flexibility as well as hands-on control in our own shop.

When it comes to our handles, we are control freaks.

Last edited:
Sorry. Yes, that's the plan. The first batch were pad-printed. They look very, very nice. But printing isn't as permanent as engraving. And laser engraving will give us more rapidly executable creative flexibility and hands-on control in our own shop.

Thanks. My reference to those other makers, was because they were the first two that popped into my head who use engraving.

I for one and a huge fan of it, always have been.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Thanks. My reference to those other makers, was because they were the first two that popped into my head who use engraving.

I for one and a huge fan of it, always have been.

I didn't take any offense or give a thought to it. Just don't know what they do other than that Simpsons handles are somehow engraved.

We're pretty excited by the possibilities.

Top Bottom