What's new

Dark Holler Design Works preview

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Wowza!!! Does this mean the others will be coming soon?!?!

Wowza!!! Does this mean the others will be coming soon?!?!

I think most of them are already knotted. The hang-up has been labeling. I had a text from Lee yesterday saying "stamp arrived" and another today with "logo printed." But I haven't seen anything and don't know whether the result was satisfactory.

I'll take this opportunity to answer a question I received yesterday via email with regard to materials used in the first batch. Of 84 handles we shipped over in mid-October, 42 were alternative ivory, 21 were alternative horn, and 21 were butterscotch marble. 42 were Chiefs and 42 were PK-47s.

We've since turned more 26mm handles, mostly from faux jade, faux briar, and faux ebony rod. We decided not to ship them off until we had some results from the first batch back to see and try out. The Ebonite-handled brushes are great to have, but Cody finished all of them and none is labeled, so we're going to wait until some of the others show up.

For any B&B member who is on the list, wants a brush made from a material (other than Ebonite) we have on hand that wasn't included in the first batch, and is willing to wait, we'll make and sell one at the same price we settle on for the rest of the first batch (which won't happen until I can actually some completed examples). It's not a trust issue. Just due process, not that anything about this thread up to now has been conventional in that regard.

Thanks to all for your interest and posts here.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
1) How do you get on the list
2) I'll volunteer to trial an Ebonite handle

1) Send an email to my B&B username at darkholler dot com.

2) Thanks sincerely, but they're all already committed. I had eight tickets to every Royals home play-off and World Series game in 1985. This was a little like that.

1) Send an email to my B&B username at darkholler dot com.

2) Thanks sincerely, but they're all already committed. I had eight tickets to every Royals home play-off and World Series game in 1985. This was a little like that.

1) Thank you.
2) I'll bet!

Very gorgeous brushes, Ken. The knots complement the brush incredibly. The contrast between the white tips and the black handles is very beautiful.

Out of curiosity, how do the handles feel? From what I understand, Ebonite is vulcanized rubber. Having never dealt with it first hand, I was wondering how it feels compared to a standard brush material.

Thanks for the constant updates, as well. It's always an interesting read!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Very gorgeous brushes, Ken. The knots complement the brush incredibly. The contrast between the white tips and the black handles is very beautiful.

Out of curiosity, how do the handles feel? From what I understand, Ebonite is vulcanized rubber. Having never dealt with it first hand, I was wondering how it feels compared to a standard brush material.

Thanks for the constant updates, as well. It's always an interesting read!

I really don't have words. I've heard it described as warmth, but that's metaphor. Or something like it.

Last edited:
This is a list I want to be on.....which I think I am.

The anticipation keeps building with every post of Ken's. I missed out on the Chief Group buy.....but hopefully won't miss this.

Hero,
A good way to get a chance to feel some ebonite is to go to the nearest Music Supply store and ask if they have any clarinet or saxophone mouthpieces that you can take a look at. These items (if I recall correctly) are still made from ebonite and will have the bonus of being similar in diameter and shape of the Dark Holler Ebonite handles (ie cylindrical). There are many music professionals here that might lend credence to, or discredit this posting.

Forgive me if these have also been replaced by plastics.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Hero,
A good way to get a chance to feel some ebonite is to go to the nearest Music Supply store and ask if they have any clarinet or saxophone mouthpieces that you can take a look at. These items (if I recall correctly) are still made from ebonite and will have the bonus of being similar in diameter and shape of the Dark Holler Ebonite handles (ie cylindrical). There are many music professionals here that might lend credence to, or discredit this posting.

Forgive me if these have also been replaced by plastics.

You are exactly right.

D

Deleted member 48987

Excellent brushes Ken. Are they 26mm? I cannot wait to buy one from you.

Top Bottom